• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let’s talk about the Bible

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then Jesus must have lied when he claimed he would guide his church to the end of time, and the CC was that church, although political splits expanded those who can also trace their ancestry back to the original, such as the Orthodox and Anglican Churches. The JW' do not qualify. So, if you believe in Jesus and not just some things about him, let me recommend you join one of those churches.
There are Jehovah's Witnesses who will not even attend a wedding in a church.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus was a Jew......but He wasn't very Jewish
Huh?

Jesus was a Jew operating from a Jewish paradigm as early Christianity basically was a sect of Judaism at its beginning but gradually drifted in another direction over time.

metis

There are Jehovah's Witnesses who will not even attend a wedding in a church.
Yes, I know that, much like a JW couple across the street from us wouldn't go to a funeral mass for a neighbor next to them that they've known for over 40 years. To me, that and some other things they do and do not do, qualifies them as a "cult", especially since they put far more faith in their leaders than in Jesus or the Bible itself.

But what is most anti-Christian is their "my way or the highway" approach that claims that they somehow are the only branch that knows the "Truth", thus teaching that it's OK to judge others even though Jesus and Paul taught not to do as such.

Oeste

The teachings in Daniel reveal the symbolic meanings of many teachings in Revelation.

We’re not talking about what Daniel revealed, but what Daniel was told to shut up, remember?

Daniel isn't personally revealing those hidden meanings--God is, through his holy spirit through the real teachers that belong to Jesus.

You are still confusing words and scroll with “hidden meanings.” We’ve been through this before, remember? It was just a few posts ago.

Now I begin to appreciate why the Watchtower engages in constant repetition, issue after issue, over and over again. It’s the only way they can assure their members “get it”…at least until they change whatever it was they threw at them again.

Read Daniel 12:4. Tell us which word or words you believe equate to “hidden meanings”. Also, please tell us where your teachers found the scroll Daniel was told to seal.

Like this example--a horn = a kingdom

--In Rev there is a 7 headed beast with 10 horns--Sounds like a monster, but seeing 10 Horns= 10 kingdoms--a place where kingdoms gather. A two horned beast as well--2 kingdoms working together to exercise all authority( resolutions) of the 7 headed beast.

Wow! So you and your Organization had no idea that horns could mean kingdoms until these “last days”???

Did anyone bother to read Daniel 7:24? If they had, they may have received a rather subtle clue:

As for the ten horns,
out of this kingdom ten kings shall arise,
and another shall arise after them;
he shall be different from the former ones,
and shall put down three kings.​

Did you Organization notice the clue in the passage above, or did they assume that if they didn’t notice Daniel 7:24 until the "last days" then no one else did either?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Huh?

Jesus was a Jew operating from a Jewish paradigm as early Christianity basically was a sect of Judaism at its beginning but gradually drifted in another direction over time.
and His last Supper .....the Passover

and He took the bread and wine.....gave to His disciples and said.....
Do this in memory of Me

the Passover was a tribute and remembrance of Moses

the Carpenter took it for His own

NOT very Jewish

Thief

Rogue Theologian
of course you COULD say.......
He was speaking of discussion at every meal

not that particular yearly event

kjw47

Jesus was a Jew......but He wasn't very Jewish

Yes Jesus came to save the Israelites--They rejected him, sent him to his death--God cut them off( Matt 23:37-39)-- A new religion began= spiritual Israel.

kjw47

Then Jesus must have lied when he claimed he would guide his church to the end of time, and the CC was that church, although political splits expanded those who can also trace their ancestry back to the original, such as the Orthodox and Anglican Churches. The JW' do not qualify. So, if you believe in Jesus and not just some things about him, let me recommend you join one of those churches.

Anyone who reads the bible can clearly see cathoicism is far removed from God and his son. There was never a trinity god in existence. Catholicism was foretold-2Thess 2:3)

kjw47

We’re not talking about what Daniel revealed, but what Daniel was told to shut up, remember?

You are still confusing words and scroll with “hidden meanings.” We’ve been through this before, remember? It was just a few posts ago.

Now I begin to appreciate why the Watchtower engages in constant repetition, issue after issue, over and over again. It’s the only way they can assure their members “get it”…at least until they change whatever it was they threw at them again.

Read Daniel 12:4. Tell us which word or words you believe equate to “hidden meanings”. Also, please tell us where your teachers found the scroll Daniel was told to seal.

Wow! So you and your Organization had no idea that horns could mean kingdoms until these “last days”???

Did anyone bother to read Daniel 7:24? If they had, they may have received a rather subtle clue:

As for the ten horns,

Did you Organization notice the clue in the passage above, or did they assume that if they didn’t notice Daniel 7:24 until the "last days" then no one else did either?

Wow are you thick.

As for the ten horns,

None of it is understood without HS leading the real teachers that belong to Jesus. Obvious--seal up this book( scroll) means--hidden truths to be revealed in the last days.

metis

and His last Supper .....the Passover

and He took the bread and wine.....gave to His disciples and said.....
Do this in memory of Me

the Passover was a tribute and remembrance of Moses

the Carpenter took it for His own

NOT very Jewish
What he did was to take an established ritual and rework it, which does have other precedence in Judaism. Passover, namely "Pesach" in Hebrew, comes from the lambing that eventually was altered, not to commemorate Moses but to remember and relive the liberation from Egypt that Moses obviously was instrumental in facilitating..

Certainly not everything that involved Jesus had direct links to Judaism, but nevertheless that was the base that it evolved from. Some feel and felt that the early church went too far in splitting from Judaism, and also some felt that Jesus would not likely have approved of all the changes that would occur, and an example of this element were the Ebionites that believed in Jesus but still retained Jewish Law. They felt that Paul went too far, which appears to have led to friction between James and Paul.

But either way, Jesus definitely was a Jew who largely operated from a Jewish paradigm based on early Judaism.

metis

Anyone who reads the bible can clearly see cathoicism is far removed from God and his son. There was never a trinity god in existence. Catholicism was foretold-2Thess 2:3)
Then you believe Jesus lied about leading his church until the end of time. OK, if that's what you believe, so be it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What he did was to take an established ritual and rework it, which does have other precedence in Judaism. Passover, namely "Pesach" in Hebrew, comes from the lambing that eventually was altered, not to commemorate Moses but to remember and relive the liberation from Egypt that Moses obviously was instrumental in facilitating..

Certainly not everything that involved Jesus had direct links to Judaism, but nevertheless that was the base that it evolved from. Some feel and felt that the early church went too far in splitting from Judaism, and also some felt that Jesus would not likely have approved of all the changes that would occur, and an example of this element were the Ebionites that believed in Jesus but still retained Jewish Law. They felt that Paul went too far, which appears to have led to friction between James and Paul.

But either way, Jesus definitely was a Jew who largely operated from a Jewish paradigm based on early Judaism.
nay.....

the rel split took place when the Pharisees came asking......
Have you come to abolish the law (as per Moses)?

no....I have come to fulfill it
then He quoted heathen law......written a thousand years before He walked
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

He was looking the Pharisees in the eye when He said it

and they sought His death from that hour forward

metis

the rel split took place when the Pharisees came asking......
Have you come to abolish the law (as per Moses)?

no....I have come to fulfill it
It appears that you don't likely understand what "fulfill" probably meant in context since no one can "fulfill" the Law unless they follow it 100% and never make any mistakes. However, there's another way "fulfill" could have been used that could work. Interested?

That is not the "heathen law" as it was the basis of Judaism itself.
He was looking the Pharisees in the eye when He said it

and they sought His death from that hour forward
Maybe some did, but the Pharisees would only have a problem with blasphemy that could warrant a death penalty, plus they were not in a position to issue it anyway even if Jesus had violated that Law.

It would help if you understood early Judaism better versus drawing conclusions without having that education. Jesus worked from a Jewish paradigm and it's obvious that you have not spent time studying that, so let me recommend that you don't take yourself too seriously on this.

kjw47

Then you believe Jesus lied about leading his church until the end of time. OK, if that's what you believe, so be it.

Fact-- The word church did not exist when the bible was written, Thus a translating error by Catholicism. Congregation is the correct translating.Thus Jesus was telling the true followers he would be with them, not with the building. A church is a building, The congregation is the flock. Jesus wasn't with the building he was with his flock. It was foretold--thegreat apostasy would arise( 2Thess 2:3) or truth would never come back. The religion that came out of Rome is that great apostasy. And all of its branches.

Oeste

Wow are you thick.

LOL, I was expecting the personal attack would come at any time.

Is this something they taught you in Ministry school? A last desperate gambit when all else fails?

I think our discussion is over KJW. After all, I do have a tag line I'm trying to uphold.

When you can actually answer any of the questions asked let us know.:)

pearl

Do you not realize that what is now referred to the 'golden rule' was also stated by Rabbi Hillel? Do you believe the good rabbi would quote a 'heathen law'?