1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Let’s talk about the Bible

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Vee, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Oeste

Oeste Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +424
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sorry KJW, but If doesn't equal zero. :(

It's not how you solve for x.

In any event I'm more interested in the knowledge contained within Daniel's scroll which you claim your Governing Board is revealing.

Can you tell us when and where they found it, how long its been in their possession, and where the scroll is now?

2. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Religion:
    Judaism
    No, I'm good, but thanks for caring.

3. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    Can you please show me some passages? I'm thinking of several that show otherwise: 1 Corinthians 11:1-3. 1 Corinthians 8:5-6. These have not easily been twisted in translation, as others have.

4. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    For those who are interested if the Divine Name was in the Greek Scriptures:

Jehovah

5. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    Regarding Jesus stating that He and His Father were one "in the sense of unity" (and not a Trinity), Metis, you wrote:

Really? If you read the prayer @ Acts of the Apostles 4:23-30, who were they praying to? Who is their "Sovereign Lord? Jesus? No, they were addressing the Father, the same One they worshipped as Jews. And they referred to Jesus as......God? No. They called Jesus, God's Servant.

No, they didn't view Jesus as God. (Peter's speech in Acts of the Apostles 2 provides further insights into their understanding.)

6. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Which is a mispronuciation, plus there are 17 different names, if my memory is correct, for God in Hebrew as found in the Tanakh.

7. metis

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    I really don't have the time to look them up right now, but there are a plenty. But, again, even John 3:16 is very different than anything we see written about a prophet. On top of that, we well know that the 1st century church equated Jesus as having a divine connection that goes well beyond anything said about any prophet.

Do I personally believe he is part of a trinity? No, as I'm pretty much an agnostic about this and many other things.

• Like Like x 1
  8. metis

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    Yes and no, as has been explained.

9. metis

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    I found a bit of time, so:

1 Corinthians 8:6
    yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Colossians 2:9

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form

John 1:14

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Colossians 1:15-17

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Philippians 2:5-8

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!

John 10:36

what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

There's more, but this is the best I can do in a short period of time.

10. kjw47

kjw47 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Religion:
    Jehovah' witness

He was given authority in genesis--but did not get the crown until Rev 6

11. kjw47

kjw47 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Religion:
    Jehovah' witness

Jesus sitting on his throne --Gods kingdom rule taking full control of heaven--then he brings it to the earth at Har-mageddon.( some go by that kingdom rule now=FEW.)

12. metis

Ratings:
    +16,527
    Religion:
    They gotta toilet in heaven?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. kjw47

kjw47 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Religion:
    Jehovah' witness

I know better--You are seeing like this-2Cor 4:4

14. kjw47

kjw47 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Religion:
    Jehovah' witness

The book of Daniel has been there all along--None knew the meaning for these last days until God willed--Not even his own angels knew- 1Peter 1:12)

15. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    I appreciate your response.

16. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks for taking the time!

The one phrase (in Philippians 2:6) you underlined is the only passage posted that might indicate Jesus is God. (That's why you underlined it, right? Lol). Most translations render that phrase, existing "in the form of God"; yes, Jesus existed as a spirit, which is God's form (John 4:24). But then he became flesh, as a human male.

I apologise if I've come across as antagonistic in my prior postings, that was not my intent.

There are a few other passages written by Paul that can be misconstrued, as in Hebrews. I would like to discuss all of them in their context one at a time, if you get the time. Would that be ok? We'd have to start a new thread, I guess?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    It does say he's on a White Cloud, also. (Isn't that a brand of TP?)

(Ok, no more impropriety from me.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Religion:
    Christian
    Names, or titles?
    Regarding Yahweh, or Jehovah in English, notice Exodus 3:15, on BibleHub:

Exodus 3:15

There are a few versions that say either Jehovah or Yahweh. It's His "Memorial-Name, throughout all generations." If I'm not mistaken, The Jerusalem Bible says it is "to be used throughout all generations"(?)

Addressing God as Yahweh is fine, but we don't speak Hebrew.

Bible translator J. B. Rotherham, in The Emphasised Bible, used the form Yahweh throughout the Hebrew Scriptures. However, later in his Studies in the Psalms he used the form “Jehovah.” He explained: “JEHOVAH—The employment of this English form of the Memorial name . . . in the present version of the Psalter does not arise from any misgiving as to the more correct pronunciation, as being Yahwéh; but solely from practical evidence personally selected of the desirability of keeping in touch with the public ear and eye in a matter of this kind, in which the principal thing is the easy recognition of the Divine name intended.”—(London, 1911), p. 29.

Take care, my cousin.

19. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,254
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Yes it is, and yet does not address the OP in any way.

Edit: well, maybe.....I was thinking it does nothing to establish the Bible as credible.

20. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,527
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    The verse should be changed to "Heaven and Earth will pass away, and these words will pass away long before then."