• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lesser Spirits

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Most religions(but not all) have some kind of deity/s or Godform/s. Many also have some kinds of lesser spirits, that don't necessarily qualify as being divine, but are still important. Some are earth spirits, others agents of higher forms of being.

Does your faith tradition have any of these beings? If so, do you involve them in your practice in any way?

(Please note that the term 'lesser' isn't meant to be condescending here, and please refrain from using this thread as a place for thumbing your nose at such spirits or people who acknowledge them.)

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Most religions(but not all) have some kind of deity/s or Godform/s. Many also have some kinds of lesser spirits, that don't necessarily qualify as being divine, but are still important. Some are earth spirits, others agents of higher forms of being.

Does your faith tradition have any of these beings? If so, do you involve them in your practice in any way?

(Please note that the term 'lesser' isn't meant to be condescending here, and please refrain from using this thread as a place for thumbing your nose at such spirits or people who acknowledge them.)

My beliefs have a hierarchy. The Omniverse created the hyperverses, created the xenoverses, created the metaverses (not Facebook's Meta lol), created the multiverses, created the universes, created the galaxies, which created the stars, which created the planets, which evolutionary trends created us as a result. Once global unity is established it will be time to go in reverse and work on the Kardashev Scale. The Omniverse is not God by itself, its ability to decay ultimately created us so we could work on our species' extropy. At the very end, we will create some unique form of technology that will be able to exert more post-human extropy than we could ever do as a species, no matter how many of us there is.

So to answer your question, I consider the "lesser dimensional forces" including the hyperverses, xenoverses, metaverses, multiverses, and even this universe we're on now to be 'lesser spirits', only, in reality they are most likely composed of physical particles and waves. Not too much is known about these, yet. And I suspect not much will be known about them for awhile longer. I have my own theories on them but that is a topic for a different thread.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes. There are light elves, and dark elves, land wights and house wights. Ancestral spirits. And spirits of place: such as rivers, oceans, mountains, and landscapes. Sacred groves of trees in forests, only whispered of. And even the spirits that inhabit every tree, rock, and puddle.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. There are light elves, and dark elves, land wights and house wights. Ancestral spirits. And spirits of place: such as rivers, oceans, mountains, and landscapes. Sacred groves of trees in forests, only whispered of. And even the spirits that inhabit every tree, rock, and puddle.

Who are the light and dark elves?

MonkeyFire

I believe the problem of evil doesn’t say anything against the existence of a the messiah of mankind, I believe in that.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I believe the problem of evil doesn’t say anything against the existence of a the messiah of mankind.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China...

Did you mean something I'm not picking up?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The Pali texts mention all sorts of beings, such as gandhabbas, yakkhas, devas, brahmas, peta (hungry ghosts,) and asuras. I really don't involve these beings in my practice to any great extent.

MonkeyFire

In my religion, all creations have an epithet. The epithet is a description.

Examples:

Zeus is Olympian.

Rhea is Titan.

Steropes is a cyclops.

Syo is Maya.

That's it. :)

God is love?! I have one. My mind says I, Believe. I know what that means like twenty years later, that being hope, pleasure, trust, and non-toxicity (the purity of Mother Nature).

MonkeyFire

I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China...

Did you mean something I'm not picking up?

??? Okay. Would you believe in a fallen angel to reveal the truth of God? I, believe that fallen angels are a race of healer spirits living in descent from God, who mean no harm. So a fall is sin and suffering, their angel is therefore a healer, that is the true fallen angel.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Who are the light and dark elves?

The dark elves live beneath the earth, and are possibly another name for dwarves. Whereas the light elves were fairer to look at then the sun, and love in a realm called Alfheim. It is thought that very important and powerful/influential ancestors may become Alfar (elves).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
??? Okay. Would you believe in a fallen angel to reveal the truth of God? I, believe that fallen angels are a race of healer spirits living in descent from God, who mean no harm. So a fall is sin and suffering, their angel is therefore a healer, that is the true fallen angel.

If I'm understanding right, you work with angels for healing?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba's view is that there are being on the path who are on various planes of consciousness in the subtle and mental spheres. Some of those are agents who carry out the divine will.

The Meher Schools set of songs includes one on the Unicorn. #20 at https://www.meherschools.org/videos-songs which would I think qualify as a nature spirit. "The ray of light we call his horn points to the dawn". "God's guidance in its most delightful form"

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Meher Baba's view is that there are being on the path who are on various planes of consciousness in the subtle and mental spheres. Some of those are agents who carry out the divine will.

The Meher Schools set of songs includes one on the Unicorn. #20 at https://www.meherschools.org/videos-songs which would I think qualify as a nature spirit. "The ray of light we call his horn points to the dawn". "God's guidance in its most delightful form"

I've always found unicorns intriguing...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sort of?

I don't make any hard distinction, much less any sort of hierarchical ranking, amongst gods/spirits and use those two terms more or less interchangeably. "Gods" technically refers to that which is deemed worthy of worship, and "spirit" the all-encompassing identity/nature/essence/character of a subject. Given my tradition regards all things as worthy of worship, all spirits end up also being regarded as gods. Thus, more or less interchangeable and synonymous.

Beyond that, I make a loose distinction amongst gods/spirits based on sphere of awareness, or the scope of their domain. Some gods/spirits are local and easy to relate to on a more direct and personal basis. Others are more regional, others still are global, and yet others still are so vast on scope of domain that my tiny meat brain can't really approach it even if it wanted to. In general, I actively worship small scale, relatable scope gods/spirits. Anything bigger than that isn't relevant to my day-to-day and therefore I can't really establish any meaningful relationship with it. Or something that just isn't in my geographic area, like Ocean. I do not doubt Ocean is important, but I live in the middle of a continent.