• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Less Than Half of Americans are Church Members

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think religion is becoming much more personal and much less social oriented. I think this socialization is needed though.
That is actually a very good point because traditionally religion has served as an anchor and mainstay and beacon of socializing and social events. And as more people are leaving it, whatever their reasons may be, there really hasn't been anything to replace it. Which is why some atheists continue to go to church.

firedragon

Veteran Member
According to Gallup, American membership in a church, synagogue, or mosque has fallen below 50% for the first time since they started tracking the data decades ago:

U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

Researchers link this decline predominantly to an overall decrease in religious affiliation altogether, but also notes that church attendance has declined among those who identify with a religion. Additionally, there is a generational correlation, with older adults much more likely to both identify with a religion and to be a member of a religious organization.

Thoughts? Other causes? Will this trend continue?

The majority of US residents are Christian, and if you correlate this with the PEW research it is in decline. But strangely very few people note that Hinduism is acting extremely stable. For what ever reason, they dont increase much, but also they dont decline. Also one must note that Hindus dont have memberships and their temples or Kovil visits are not like "every Sunday", but that does not mean their faith is wavering. You would also note that though protestant christianity has been seeing a big decline, Catholicism has been decently stable. Also must note that a segment called "No Answer" has emerged and is increasing as well.

Anyway, what should be noted is that there is a category called "others" where all of these Muslims and Hindus fall into. Thus, it is not possible to make statements about Mosques and temples. Its too small a sample size to correlate with the rest of the data.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
It has nothing to do with how one views it. The Bible demands, for example, that homosexuals be executed, being so spiteful and hateful about it that it also proclaims their blood is on their hands. Today we let them share equal rights with heterosexuals in marriage. In the Bible, Women who aren't virgins on their wedding night, their parents have to show a bloodied sheet to prove her virginity or she is executed. Today that's not how it works and it's not a crime to have sex before marriage. The Bible also says women are "unclean" when they are on their period and have to go away, or after having a baby, for double the length of time if she gives birth to a girl, and they are even sexually off limits to their own husband. Today we don't give a damn. The Bible condones slavery and regulates it. Today we condemn it and have globally made significant strides towards eliminating it entirely. The Bible says eye for an eye, today we are realizing that gives incentive for more death in the way of killing witnesses to a crime and many have abolished the death penalty (and have seen a reduction of homicides). The Bible also instructs the execution of those who so much as pick up sticks on the Sabbath. Today we're allowed to do whatever on any day we could on whatever other day. The Bible says "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Today we have the concept of freedom of religion, allowing people to worship Pagan gods new and old, reclaim reconstructed forms of their ancestral religions, and even call themselves a witch without it being a death sentence. At least in the modern, sane world at least. Abraham's god has to be dealt a very hard blow to severe him from the state to get that far, and not all places have. And be it Jew, Christian, or Muslim, they have all merged state and religion to devastating and bloody ends. Because it is what their "holy book" expects of them.

Like I said, it is all in how one views the Bible :)

I have never met any Christian that feels obligated to live that way, who agrees with any of that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Like I said, it is all in how one views the Bible :)

I have never met any Christian that feels obligated to live that way, who agrees with any of that.
Then they do not agree with the words, laws, and instructions of the god they claim to follow.
Jesus gave many warnings about those who would lessen the word and say this or that doesn't apply.
You can't look through a McDonald's menu and say it depends and claim it's not unhealthy because they serve salads.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The majority of US residents are Christian, and if you correlate this with the PEW research it is in decline. But strangely very few people note that Hinduism is acting extremely stable. For what ever reason, they dont increase much, but also they dont decline. Also one must note that Hindus dont have memberships and their temples or Kovil visits are not like "every Sunday", but that does not mean their faith is wavering. You would also note that though protestant christianity has been seeing a big decline, Catholicism has been decently stable. Also must note that a segment called "No Answer" has emerged and is increasing as well.

Anyway, what should be noted is that there is a category called "others" where all of these Muslims and Hindus fall into. Thus, it is not possible to make statements about Mosques and temples. Its too small a sample size to correlate with the rest of the data.

I think you're right that Hindus and Muslims represent such a small percentage of Americans, it's hard from these national surveys to see much of a change one way or another.

On Catholics vs. Protestants, from the Gallup article:

Among religious groups, the decline in membership is steeper among Catholics (down 18 points, from 76% to 58%) than Protestants (down nine points, from 73% to 64%). This mirrors the historical changes in church attendance Gallup has documented among Catholics, with sharp declines among Catholics but not among Protestants. Gallup does not have sufficient data to analyze the trends for other religious faiths.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Then they do not agree with the words, laws, and instructions of the god they claim to follow.
Jesus gave many warnings about those who would lessen the word and say this or that doesn't apply.
You can't look through a McDonald's menu and say it depends and claim it's not unhealthy because they serve salads.

You should write a book on theology as it sounds like you have it all worked out. ;) That way I can toss out all of those volumes from the church fathers and everything else that has been written over the last ~2000 years, especially on the Christian's obligation to the OT.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's not just the churches. It's all kinds of social organizations that have lost membership. And there are several reasons for it, I think, not the least of which is a long-running and concerted effort on the part of our new plutocratic overlords to keep the general public divided against itself, by any means available. Also, 100 years of industrial strength advertising telling us all what virtues selfishness and individualism are has made us all very intolerant of the selfish individuality of others. We don't want to join and serve others, anymore; we just want others to serve us. Even God and religion.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I did see a statistic recently in which it noted Hinduism as the most likely to retain its followers, and for the religion to be passed on to the next generation from parents to children. It did speculate that this is because in many cases, Hinduism is very much wrapped up in culture. Its not something you, as you note, 'do on Sundays'. There are so many different sects and schools of thought, that two people who are Hindus may keep very different practices.

It's not just the churches. It's all kinds of social organizations that have lost membership. And there are several reasons for it, I think, not the least of which is a long-running and concerted effort on the part of our new plutocratic overlords to keep the general public divided against itself, by any means available. Also, 100 years of industrial strength advertising telling us all what virtues selfishness and individualism are has made us all very intolerant of the selfish individuality of others. We don't want to join and serve others, anymore; we just want others to serve us. Even God and religion.

Many social organizations are losing out as well, this is true.

I feel there's truth to what you say, especially the bit about "We don't want to join and serve others anymore, we just want others to serve us." I'm 36 years old, and I feel much of my upbringing, particularly when it came to what personal teaching I received from school, there is a push to 'if it doesn't serve you, drop it'. This went from activities, values, and even other people! So I'm not surprised by the general direction things have gone regarding that. But I think there's more to it, some of it very simple. One being the internet. People don't have to leave, or even engage to socialize anymore. So they don't. Another being the 9-5 job becoming less common. With all the different shifts people work, they're not available in the evenings or on the weekend like they once may have been.

PureX

Veteran Member
Another being the 9-5 job becoming less common. With all the different shifts people work, they're not available in the evenings or on the weekend like they once may have been.
Notice that those alternative shifts are almost exclusively in the ever growing "service industry". :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You should write a book on theology as it sounds like you have it all worked out. ;) That way I can toss out all of those volumes from the church fathers and everything else that has been written over the last ~2000 years, especially on the Christian's obligation to the OT.
I'm not writing about theology, I'm writing about the harm, damage, and destruction the Bible is capable of and has done.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I did see a statistic recently in which it noted Hinduism as the most likely to retain its followers, and for the religion to be passed on to the next generation from parents to children. It did speculate that this is because in many cases, Hinduism is very much wrapped up in culture. Its not something you, as you note, 'do on Sundays'. There are so many different sects and schools of thought, that two people who are Hindus may keep very different practices.

Hinduism grows with population growth only. They lose a very very little bit of adherents but it doesnt show as a loss due to population growth. But comparatively they are extremely stable and it shows through statistics in retrospect.

Why they dont move is I think speculative. IMO...

Hindu's dont proselytise, neither do they give a damn about other peoples evangelism. They find what they want in their ways, and there are way too many sects and monolatrxes for them to find their salvation in. More than all of that what one must understand is Hinduism is an identity statement and a culture rooting back to their homeland. Who am I to tell you? You know all of this. But you could correct me.

Hinduism is basically Indian. There are very few non-hindu Hindu's if you know what I mean. And no matter where they go and live their affinity to their country will never fade away. Out of major religions like Islam, Christianity etc, Hinduism is probably the only religion that is bound to their mother land. Leaving Hinduism is like leaving their legacy and trail to their motherland. Thats why you can never shake them. Or at least, one of the main reasons.

Also, Hinduism is unlike the proselytising religions like Christianity and Islam. They dont relate to these theologies. Its practically alien, though they know about them. They are almost chalk and cheese. Thats why the churn rate is so small its absolutely negligible. Unlike other theologies. Yet, this is my opinion only.

74x12

According to Gallup, American membership in a church, synagogue, or mosque has fallen below 50% for the first time since they started tracking the data decades ago:

U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

Researchers link this decline predominantly to an overall decrease in religious affiliation altogether, but also notes that church attendance has declined among those who identify with a religion. Additionally, there is a generational correlation, with older adults much more likely to both identify with a religion and to be a member of a religious organization.

Thoughts? Other causes? Will this trend continue?
Other causes should be pretty obvious. Many people won't bother going to church with all the covid restrictions.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I think you're right that Hindus and Muslims represent such a small percentage of Americans, it's hard from these national surveys to see much of a change one way or another.

On Catholics vs. Protestants, from the Gallup article:

Hmm. Thats interesting. Thanks a lot.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
So people don't see the point of being members to church they don't attend.

Is that just a guess, or do you have data to indicate that's the reason for the decline?

Most churches I'm aware of, like my partner's and my parents', have online services.

danieldemol

Premium Member
we just want others to serve us. Even God and religion
Nothing wrong with wanting God to serve us, after all we are the ones with the needs (unless you happen to worship a needy God incapable of providing for itself), as for religion if it doesn't meet the needs of humans why are we serving it again?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with wanting God to serve us, after all we are the ones with the needs (unless you happen to worship a needy God incapable of providing for itself), as for religion if it doesn't meet the needs of humans why are we serving it again?

I have been reading the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna lately, and that is a concept he mentions repetitively in this tome. After being told by someone that God is compassionate, he asks why the person feels that way. They say because he takes care of us, to which Ramakrishna replies something like: why shouldn't he? He has put us here, why shouldn't he see to our care? Do parents beget children and then expect the neighbors to bring them up?

Got a chuckle out of me.

74x12

Is that just a guess, or do you have data to indicate that's the reason for the decline?

Most churches I'm aware of, like my partner's and my parents', have online services.
It is a guess but a not a wild guess. I mean it's the most simple answer so Occam's razor may apply. If my theory is right then once all restrictions are lifted we may see an increase in church membership.