• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Less than 1% of the over 250 million cars are EV's

We Never Know

No Slack
Less than 1% and yet they are already asked to not charge during peak times.
They need to greatly improve our electric grids so that they can handle more if they expect to keep up when EV's sales climb.

"Less than 1% of the 250 million cars, SUVs and light-duty trucks on the road in the United States are electric."

The long road to electric cars in the U.S.

We Never Know

No Slack
Imagine 100 million EV's charging at night along with heat and air. It will create a new peak demand time.

What is peak demand time and what causes it?

"Peak demand is the time when consumer demand for electricity is at its highest; this can be by day, season or year. Peak periods tend to be in the morning during winter months (when lots of heating is occurring) and in the afternoon during summer months (lots of cooling)."

Peak Demand - Advanced Energy.

PureX

Veteran Member
American car companies will not make good, reliable, inexpensive EVs. Neither will the major foreign companies. But there are a few smaller foreign companies that do, and their cars get good reviews. Unfortunately, they are not available in most of the US. Big oil sees to it. Just as they see toit that we have way too many laws and restrictions against other forms of small gas and electric personal transportation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Imagine 100 million EV's charging at night along with heat and air. It will create a new peak demand time.

What is peak demand time and what causes it?

"Peak demand is the time when consumer demand for electricity is at its highest; this can be by day, season or year. Peak periods tend to be in the morning during winter months (when lots of heating is occurring) and in the afternoon during summer months (lots of cooling)."

Peak Demand - Advanced Energy.
Managing the peaks and troughs in electricity demand - and providing far more short term electricity storage - will certainly be one of the challenges of the zero carbon world, largely due to the high proportion of intermittent generation from renewables.

But I notice that peak demand in the US is NOT overnight at present. On the contrary, that is when electricity is cheapest. So all your EV owner needs is a time switch on his charger, and then the peak charging time will align with what is now the period of least demand. So it could be something that smooths out the peaks, potentially. But I have not done the sums on how much power would be needed if all vehicles were EVs, so I don't know how that would compare with the rest of the domestic electricity demand. Also, as solar becomes more important, there may no longer be such a surplus of generation at night. So, a lot of moving parts.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Today, the United States gets the majority of its energy from fossil fuels, though that percentage is slowly decreasing. While oil is still the primary fuel of choice for transportation, it now only generates 1% of the country’s electricity through power plants. Natural gas has also taken on a bigger role over time, because it is perceived as being cleaner than oil and coal.

Today, in 2015, wind and solar power have generated 5% and 1% of total electricity respectively. Hydro generates 7%.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They need to greatly improve our electric grids so that they can handle more if they expect to keep up when EV's sales climb.

"Less than 1% of the 250 million cars, SUVs and light-duty trucks on the road in the United States are electric."

Like I stated many times, nobody wants that EV crap forced on them.

EVs are no match to fossil powered vehicles. At least not yet.

Too bad bio diesel had been ignored because that would have been the next ideal step.

Twilight Hue

Today, the United States gets the majority of its energy from fossil fuels, though that percentage is slowly decreasing. While oil is still the primary fuel of choice for transportation, it now only generates 1% of the country’s electricity through power plants. Natural gas has also taken on a bigger role over time, because it is perceived as being cleaner than oil and coal.

Today, in 2015, wind and solar power have generated 5% and 1% of total electricity respectively. Hydro generates 7%.
It's a start but not the answer at present.

We Never Know

No Slack

Fossil Fuels Still Supply 84 Percent Of World Energy

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproje...rgy-consumption-and-carbon-emissions-in-2019/

exchemist

Veteran Member

Today, we are not in 2015.;)

We Never Know

No Slack
Managing the peaks and troughs in electricity demand - and providing far more short term electricity storage - will certainly be one of the challenges of the zero carbon world, largely due to the high proportion of intermittent generation from renewables.

But I notice that peak demand in the US is NOT overnight at present. On the contrary, that is when electricity is cheapest. So all your EV owner needs is a time switch on his charger, and then the peak charging time will align with what is now the period of least demand. So it could be something that smooths out the peaks, potentially. But I have not done the sums on how much power would be needed if all vehicles were EVs, so I don't know how that would compare with the rest of the domestic electricity demand. Also, as solar becomes more important, there may no longer be such a surplus of generation at night. So, a lot of moving parts.

"But I notice that peak demand in the US is NOT overnight at present."

Of course it isn't because many business's are closed and many people are sleeping.
Now imagine 100 millions cars being plugged in at night. Thats going to greatly increase the demand at night possibly creating a night peak demand if they don't fix/beef up the power grid systems.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That is true. But our electrical grid has been very out of date for quite some time. It was just a couple of years ago that Texas had a major failure and Ted Cruz abandoned his state for Mexico for a short while. And that was not caused by electric cars. In other areas over heating power lines stretch and droop and cause forest fires:

California's second-largest wildfire was sparked when power lines came in contact with a tree, Cal Fire says - CNN.

For all sorts of reasons we need to revamp all of our nation's power grids and electric cars are only one of those reasons.

We Never Know

No Slack
Like I stated many times, nobody wants that EV crap forced on them.

EVs are no match to fossil powered vehicles. At least not yet.

Too bad bio diesel had been ignored because that would have been the next ideal step.

At current a person can drive 300 miles, fill up drive 300 more fill up drive 300 more in around 13 hours.
How long will it takes an EV to go that same distance with having to charge after each 300 miles?
(I used 300 miles for a nice easy round number).

We Never Know

No Slack
That is true. But our electrical grid has been very out of date for quite some time. It was just a couple of years ago that Texas had a major failure and Ted Cruz abandoned his state for Mexico for a short while. And that was not caused by electric cars. In other areas over heating power lines stretch and droop and cause forest fires:

California's second-largest wildfire was sparked when power lines came in contact with a tree, Cal Fire says - CNN.

For all sorts of reasons we need to revamp all of our nation's power grids and electric cars are only one of those reasons.

Many states clear trees away from power lines from small lines to big lines(see pic). To my understanding thats one of California's big problems(I have a nephew from here in Oklahoma that is a lineman out there. He works 30 days on and comes home for 14 days off. Been doing that for over 5 years.

Btw, he works for IBEW 1002 out of Tulsa. They are hiring if anyone in those areas are looking for a job.

IMG_20220715_090037.jpg

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

At current a person can drive 300 miles, fill up drive 300 more fill up drive 300 more in around 13 hours.
How long will it takes an EV to go that same distance with having to charge after each 300 miles?
(I used 300 miles for a nice easy round number).
Exactly. Range is a major factor.

Plus when I fuel, I'm gone in about 5 to ten minutes. I can also carry fuel if I accidentally run out.

Evs you wait, and wait, and wait for the damm thing to charge, cold weather affects the battery, and you are screwed if you lose the charge in the middle of nowhere.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Many states clear trees away from power lines from small lines to big lines(see pic). To my understanding thats one of California's big problems(I have a nephew from here in Oklahoma that is a lineman out there. He works 30 days on and comes home for 14 days off. Been doing that for over 5 years.

Btw, he works for IBEW 1002 out of Tulsa. They are hiring if anyone in those areas are looking for a job.

View attachment 64577
You do not seem to fully understand the problem and what caused the forest fire. The more power that a line carries the hotter it gets. And of curse the hotter that it is outside the hotter the starting temperature of the power line The hotter that a length of metal gets the longer that it gets. So the natural heat of summer and the increased power consumption from air conditioners during the summer both add to the temperature of the power line. It will stretch and droop. It could conceivably droop to the ground in places. Clear cutting will not work in that situation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I assume taxes from the rich are going to pay for all of that?
The taxes from someone will pay for it.

Tell me, do you get to live in your house for free or do you have to pay for it? Assuming that you own a house if you have to do maintenance does it magically get paid for or do you pay for it? This is a prime problem with the Republicans lately. They have not been fiscally conservative. Your neighbor who does not put on a new roof until it is leaking inside has to often pay more to replace than you would if you kept your roof up to date. We have let our roof rot away and now we need to spend even more to replace it than if we had been doing proper maintenance.

So like it or not your taxes are apt to go up because they were too low in the first place. I am a fiscal conservative. That means that I want to spend money wisely not wait until it is an emergency and costs twice as much.

Twilight Hue

The taxes from someone will pay for it.

Tell me, do you get to live in your house for free or do you have to pay for it? Assuming that you own a house if you have to do maintenance does it magically get paid for or do you pay for it? This is a prime problem with the Republicans lately. They have not been fiscally conservative. Your neighbor who does not put on a new roof until it is leaking inside has to often pay more to replace than you would if you kept your roof up to date. We have let our roof rot away and now we need to spend even more to replace it than if we had been doing proper maintenance.

So like it or not your taxes are apt to go up because they were too low in the first place. I am a fiscal conservative. That means that I want to spend money wisely not wait until it is an emergency and costs twice as much.
Which translates to the usual tax and spend mentality.