• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leonardo da Vinci

PureX

Veteran Member
He was just another artists. At any given time there are thousands of them out there among us. I have met a quite a few over the years. No one's interested. Our culture is all about money, power, freedom and ease, and pretty much always has been. We think art is just for a bit our personal, momentary entertainment. (Or, of course, as decoration for a sales pitch.)

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hope you are all well!

I was browsing this trivia site - when I could just-as-easily have been doing something more important :)

Here is the page about Leonardo -

44 Interesting Facts About Leonardo Da Vinci - The Fact File

Also check-out their menus for more fascinating and useful information!

Enjoy your day!

Da Vinci was a brilliant mathematician, inventor, designer, painter, sculpture, architect, scientist (anatomy, botany, paleontology, geology), musician well ahead of his time with a range skills to be envied.

Despite another posters sour grapes he was far more than just another artist and yes, some people are interested.

Thanks for the link.

PureX

Veteran Member
Da Vinci was a brilliant mathematician, inventor, designer, painter, sculpture, architect, scientist (anatomy, botany, paleontology, geology), musician well ahead of his time with a range skills to be envied.

Despite another posters sour grapes he was far more than just another artist and yes, some people are interested.
He would have disagreed with you. But that won't effect YOUR opinions, I'm sure.

ChristineM

Premium Member
He would have disagreed with you. But that won't effect YOUR opinions, I'm sure.

Or the millions of others to flock to see his work all over the world. But perhaps they are all wrong and you are right, "He was just another artists."

So he didn't respect his own work (actually more like never satisfied with his work and striving for improvement), what has that to do with his legacy?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have to admit as a youth working in a book repository, and being rather fickle (and being tempted beyond measure), I did borrow on infinite loan a book detailing the sketches and notes of Da Vinci - one of several. Well, they shouldn't have made the books so pocket-sized! :oops:

PureX

Veteran Member
Or the millions of others to flock to see his work all over the world. But perhaps they are all wrong and you are right, "He was just another artists."

So he didn't respect his own work (actually more like never satisfied with his work and striving for improvement), what has that to do with his legacy?
They flock to see his artwork, why? Because it's famous, of course! Why is it famous? Well, that's a much more interesting and complicated question. Most people only know of two of his works and couldn't say why they're any better than 100 other old world portrait paintings, and wouldn't care, anyway. Because the truth is that Leonardo is now and has long been famous for being famous. He no doubt had an interesting and unique mind, but so do the vast majority of artists, then and now. He obviously had great rendering skills, but again, so do most artists, then and now. He was an enigmatic and eccentric 'character', but again, so are most artists. So why, really, is he so famous?

I think it's because most humans really want to believe that his kind of willful independence and creative courage are rare and exceptional traits in humans. So that we don't have to consider why we do not seek or exhibit them in ourselves. I have nothing against Leonardo, I would love to have met him. But there are lots of Leonardo's in the world that the world is intent on ignoring and even dismissing as pointless, useless, and foolish. And flocking to see the "famous" Mona Lisa painting by the exceptional, one-of-a-kind, blessed by God, never to be repeated Leonardo de Vinci plays right into that agenda.

ChristineM

Premium Member
They flock to see his artwork, why? Because it's famous, of course! Why is it famous? Well, that's a much more interesting and complicated question. Most people only know of two of his works and couldn't say why they're any better than 100 other old world portrait paintings, and wouldn't care, anyway. Because the truth is that Leonardo is now and has long been famous for being famous. He no doubt had an interesting and unique mind, but so do the vast majority of artists, then and now. He obviously had great rendering skills, but again, so do most artists, then and now. He was an enigmatic and eccentric 'character', but again, so are most artists. So why, really, is he so famous?

I think it's because most humans really want to believe that his kind of willful independence and creative courage are rare and exceptional traits in humans. So that we don't have to consider why we do not seek or exhibit them in ourselves. I have nothing against Leonardo, I would love to have met him. But there are lots of Leonardo's in the world that the world is intent on ignoring and even dismissing as pointless, useless, and foolish. And flocking to see the "famous" Mona Lisa painting by the exceptional, one-of-a-kind, blessed by God, never to be repeated Leonardo de Vinci plays right into that agenda.

:facepalm:

As already stated which you refuse to acknowledge, he was much more than "just an artist"

And since when have you been the mouthpiece for most people?

You have your opinion, many, many others, who you do not speak for have theirs