• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leonard Cohen

Ellen Brown

Sorry, don't know where this goes.

His music is strangely comforting. I like listening to it while I am writing.

It is my understanding that he was a "Sabbath Observant Jew', whatever that is. Some references say that Jews were mad at him. Hmmm. Yet in some of his music he makes reference to "Calvary" and other things Christian. Hmmm.

I know almost nothing else about him.

Last edited:

Jedster

Yes Cohen was a Sabbath observant jew, and also a Zen buddhist in his later years :)
Yes, he was a Jubu. I have met a few.

From th following link
"Jubu is a neologism coined within the last 10 years. Its short for Jewish Buddhist. The need for a new word reflects the explosion of interest in Buddhism among Jews.At one end of the spectrum, a Jubu may be a Buddhist guru who grew up Jewish and left the community. (This is true of a staggeringly high percentage of American Buddhist leaders; well over half by most counts.) One such Jubu journey is recounted by Sylvia Boorstein in her autobiographical memoir, Thats funny, you dont look Buddhist."

Full article at
https://www.thejc.com/judaism/jewish-words/jubu-1.8034

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sorry, don't know where this goes.

His music is strangely comforting. I like listening to it while I am writing.

It is my understanding that he was a "Sabbath Observant Jew', whatever that is. Some references say that Jews were mad at him. Hmmm. Yet in some of his music he makes reference to "Calvary" and other things Christian. Hmmm.

I know almost nothing else about him.

He certainly was the spark to some lively conversations amongst friends and colleagues. Those of us who found his voice a boring monotone, and his words mumbly-jumbly would fake debate the women who were mesmerised into a celebrity crush. I really did find that part entertaining.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes Cohen was a Sabbath observant jew, and also a Zen buddhist in his later years :)
And also very Christian in terms of his musical meme.

I liked him for his artistry, though. He stuck to his guns, and his honesty, regardless of what style of music was pop, or lucrative, or fashionable at the moment. I think it's how his music reads so timeless.

Here is one of my favorites of his, as an artist, not a 'preacher'.

Tower of Song

Last edited:

cladking

Cohen wrote some poetry that was quite good but I believe his best writing was lyrics.

I try to avoid learning too much about my favorite artists because nothing can make them any better and many things can ruin my estimation of their work. I get the impression though that Cohen was as sound as his music.

Ellen Brown

He certainly was the spark to some lively conversations amongst friends and colleagues. Those of us who found his voice a boring monotone, and his words mumbly-jumbly would fake debate the women who were mesmerised into a celebrity crush. I really did find that part entertaining.

His music is calming when I am working on a story, writing it or reading it.