• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

legitimate or?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Properly.
Well i don't know enough about orthodox Christianity to say anything about it really. But I will be fact checking you and learning more about it.Was planning on researching orthodox Christianity anyway.

syo

I noticed you only quoted the official church part...Do all orthodox Christians agree with the church 100% on everything or is that only most or some?
They agree with the church. and questioning religion and Jesus is a taboo.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Honestly from a Jewish POV, no. It's a bastardization of Judaism...

Hello. That is an interesting thing to say, considering Jesus and the first generation of Christians were all Jews. Paul was a Pharisee...

Peace

syo

That's odd because I do know a few orthodox Christians who question their religion often.
Of course. but it's still a taboo.

Questioning christianity is a taboo. Orthodox who question their religion keep it private.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I meant to quote this in the above post.I do agree christainty was forced on most in some times.In the beginning through Christians were persecuted

Even by other Christians when the Romans took it over. This form of Christianity enforced by a government was more a way of giving people a religion, which many seem to need and a way to control them, make them behave, at the same time.

Other ideas, views on Christianity were forced out. Why did Christianity become popular in the Roman Empire? Maybe because it took God out of the hands of the Priests and put it into the hands of common folks. Before if you were poor, sick, maimed, it was because the Gods found you unworthy. Christianity made everyone worthy, gave everyone hope if they were "good" they would be rewarded in the afterlife, if not in this life for their goodness. Popular with the masses. Kind of a grassroots movement. Instead of continuing to fight a popular movement, the Roman Empire decided to take ownership of it. Dictate what Christianity was all about.

VoidCat

Of course. but it's still a taboo.

Questioning christianity is a taboo. Orthodox who question their religion keep it private.
Like I said I have to look more into this. i think anyone questioning any life-long beliefs can feel it's taboo.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hello. That is an interesting thing to say, considering Jesus and the first generation of Christians were all Jews. Paul was a Pharisee...

Peace

Really just my opinion from reading the OT and having some things pointed out to me by some Jewish folks. Honestly there's no reason to think Jesus was the Messiah in the OT, even though Mathew takes great pains to make a connection. One really has to twist some of the meaning of the old testament to make Jesus fit. Maybe Jesus was a Jew, but Paul decided to make a God out of him then bring gentiles into the fold. I found when I talk to Christianity about Christianity, mostly they refer me to something Paul wrote. So Paul ends up being the authority for many Christians, more so than Jesus.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The Bible has some nice, poetic, and meaningful verses. But on the whole its hogwash.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is christianity legitimate? Does it have any value or is it just popular?

Personally, I don't know. Would someone care about christianity if it wasn't popular?

From who I am around, a lot of it is, if 97% think its true, then it must be true. The 2% are blind and chose not to believe and 1% have an excuse only if they haven't heard the word before. There is a lot of social network support through history, every other church, and depending on area, law, and custom if one considers christianity not of value, is saying history is a value of lies.

Anything can be made worth value. If it helps you with your spiritual life, why would 97% of us need to say otherwise?

GoodbyeDave

Is christianity legitimate? Does it have any value or is it just popular? Is christianity a religion or a huge cult?
The New Testament texts that are accepted as legitimate by non-Christian scholars are Mark's Gospel and most of Paul's Letters. Neither mentions the incarnation or the virgin birth. The first non-Christian to mention Christianity was Josephus, who said that they believe Jesus to be the promised messiah — just as Peter said in Mark. The conclusion is that the first couple of generations of Christians were a Jewish sect: all the distinctive beliefs in the creed came later.

But that doesn't make it a cult, in the common usage. [In religious studies the term "cult" means something different and harmless, but the sociologists who gave the word its popular meaning were obviously ignorant of that!] Here's a good cult test:
The Advanced Bonewits' Cult Danger Evaluation Frame

Its an invitation to proselytize which is against rule 8, as everybody knows.
When the atheists on the forum ridicule people's religions, that's proselytising for atheism — and the staff members immediately enforce rule 8, as everybody knows.

VoidCat

Nah, it's taboo because christians do not want to hear the opposing view.
Generalization there.But what is usually behind such things?Fear of the truth.Fear of being wrong. Fear of others views because they could challenge theirs.Fear of an identity crisis.That is usually the reasons I see but there could be others.

Last edited:
Reactions: syo

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
When the atheists on the forum ridicule people's religions, that's proselytising for atheism — and the staff members immediately enforce rule 8, as everybody knows.
We do sometimes and not immediately. Having this interspecies forum depends on politeness and not saying exactly what we think at all times. That's life. If everybody could say what we wanted on here we'd have trouble keeping people coming I think. It would just become a garbage dump. Even reddit requires moderation, but that place is a dump half the time. Its a huge un-navigable mess, like a hand that has turned into a plate of spaghetti. The other extreme is the exchange which is all like "Shut up if you don't already know everything. Somebody already asked that question, dumbo." Aka too much moderation, but if we didn't moderate the scholars would leave and anybody with any real religious experience would be busy fending off missionary attempts and junk comments. The way we have it is currently the best I know of for allowing the different groups to talk. All it takes is not saying the worst possible thing. "Is your religion dragon poop or does it come from turtles?"

Regiomontanus

Really just my opinion from reading the OT and having some things pointed out to me by some Jewish folks. Honestly there's no reason to think Jesus was the Messiah in the OT, even though Mathew takes great pains to make a connection. One really has to twist some of the meaning of the old testament to make Jesus fit. Maybe Jesus was a Jew, but Paul decided to make a God out of him then bring gentiles into the fold. I found when I talk to Christianity about Christianity, mostly they refer me to something Paul wrote. So Paul ends up being the authority for many Christians, more so than Jesus.

Hello. It is certainly the case that most Jews back then thought the Good News was nutty (to put it mildly - consider how the 'pre-Damascus' Paul acted!). My point is just that there was no one Judaism (Pharisees, Essenes, Sadducees, etc.) so, IMHO, the first Christians were really just another Jewish sect. And consider that James, the brother of Jesus, seems to have remained very respected in Jerusalem, attending temple, right up until the destruction in 70 AD (and was the real power broker, if you will, among the early Christians as we read in Acts).

Peace

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hello. It is certainly the case that most Jews back then thought the Good News was nutty (to put it mildly - consider how the 'pre-Damascus' Paul acted!). My point is just that there was no one Judaism (Pharisees, Essenes, Sadducees, etc.) so, IMHO, the first Christians were really just another Jewish sect. And consider that James, the brother of Jesus, seems to have remained very respected in Jerusalem, attending temple, right up until the destruction in 70 AD (and was the real power broker, if you will, among the early Christians as we read in Acts).

Peace

Sure, but it is not the Christianity we have today. I don't think we have a legitimate connection to those first "Christians". My ancestors were pagan so historically I've no real connection to these Jewish "Christians". So I don't see the Christianity I was taught as legitimate.

Hotcakes78

Personally, I don't know. Would someone care about christianity if it wasn't popular?

I would say Christianity has little value for a few reasons. Firstly churches seem to take much more than they give. They pass collection plates at each and every mass, they use the mail for donations, the internet, TV, radio etc. Beyond that they get huge tax breaks and are often tax exempt. This produces plenty of money and what do churches do with that money? They build statues, buy luxury cars for priests, expand the structures of their churches as an excuse to ask for more donations. I could go on and on but it's clear that the Catholic church's primary obligation is to itself.

Regiomontanus

Sure, but it is not the Christianity we have today. I don't think we have a legitimate connection to those first "Christians". My ancestors were pagan so historically I've no real connection to these Jewish "Christians". So I don't see the Christianity I was taught as legitimate.

Hello. We certainly agree on that point! It has been changed beyond recognition, IMHO.

Peace

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

if christianity brings people to be neighborly, mindful, and compassionate it has value. if christianity brings folks to be self-centered and self-glorifying not so much. everyone has the potential for good/evil. its not what a person wears that matters.

InChrist

Free4ever

I don't think Christianity is legitimate as a religion, meaning simply doing certain practices, rituals, or lists of do's and don'ts. But as a relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth, who made each person to be in relationship with Himself, I believe there is nothing more valuable. Trusting and relating to the living Savior Jesus Christ is so different than a religious practice.The first Jews/Christians who loved Jesus and lived their lives in relationship with Him were not very popular and it is still the same.

Last edited: