• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

legitimate or?

syo

Is christianity legitimate? Does it have any value or is it just popular?

Personally, I don't know. Would someone care about christianity if it wasn't popular?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
It has quite a bit of value at least to me. I care about it not because of it's popularity but because of my beliefs.I will add my beliefs are not very typical for most Christians and I'm more Quaker then Christian.

syo

It has quite a bit of value at least to me. I care about it not because of it's popularity but because of my beliefs.I will add my beliefs are not very typical for most Christians and I'm more Quaker then Christian.
would you give it a chance, if it wasn't popular at all?

VoidCat

would you give it a chance, if it wasn't popular at all?
Quakerism isn't popular anywhere yet I gave it a chance so I would say so. I gave Wicca a chance despite it not being popular where I am at. I gave Islam a chance despite it not being popular where i am at.So yes I gave Christianity a chance and popularity had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: syo

VoidCat

I will add my views are very different then most Christians...I am a Christian but some of my beliefs regarding God,sin and the Bible are unusual with Christians. As I said i'm more Quaker then Christian.

Reactions: syo

Jumi

First you have to define what kind of legitimacy do you mean? Also scores of people have called themselves Christians for nearly two thousand years. Do you mean that there are illegitimate Christianities around or that all of Christianity is illegitimate?

VoidCat

First you have to define what kind of legitimacy do you mean? Also scores of people have called themselves Christians for nearly two thousand years. Do you mean that there are illegitimate Christianities around or that all of Christianity is illegitimate?
I think they want to know what value Christianity has besides being popular in certain countries. @syo is this correct?

syo

All of Christianity is either legitimate or not.

Legit. Is christianity a religion or a huge cult?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Its an invitation to proselytize which is against rule 8, as everybody knows.

Is friendship legitimate? Does it have any value or is it just popular? Would anyone care about you if you weren't popular?

Are words legitimate? Do words have any value, or are they just popular? Would anyone care about words if they weren't popular?

VoidCat

Cult is so loosely defined that I feel all religions can be considered cults. The only difference between a religion in a cult isn't how things are believed it's how acceptable it is to believe it or defined by how someone feels about the religion.

syo

Is friendship legitimate? Does it have any value or is it just popular? Would anyone care about you if you weren't popular?

Are words legitimate? Do words have any value, or are they just popular? Would anyone care about words if they weren't popular?
I think I'm not allowed to question christianity. I see. Then go on delete the thread.

syo

Cult is so loosely defined that I feel all religions can be considered cults. The only difference between a religion in a cult isn't how things are believed it's how acceptable it is to believe it or defined by how someone feels about the religion.
A cult is a philosophy that speaks nonsense.

VoidCat

I don't think we will try to convert anyone we are just discussing it. I'll keep the boundary of talking about Christianity and trying to push my beliefs.

VoidCat

A cult is a philosophy that speaks nonsense.
Is that so?To whom? I googled the definition this is what i got:
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St. Olaf"
  • a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
    "a network of Satan-worshiping cults"
    synonyms: sect, religious group, denomination, religious order, church, faith, faith community, belief, persuasion, affiliation, movement; More

• a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
    "a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I think I'm not allowed to question christianity. I see. Then go on delete the thread.
Are you familiar with RF's mission statement? We're hear to encourage communication between religious people not to tie people to walls so their faces can be slapped.

Jumi

I think they want to know what value Christianity has besides being popular in certain countries. @syo is this correct?
I'd say for a society it has value if one looks at the moral teachings from a philosophical perspective and mostly ignores the legalistic interpretations.

For an individual it depends what kind of individual they are. If they are prone to literalism, then the value might tend towards the negative, but that includes most religions and antitheisms as well. If they have been graced with an experience of God, then there is obvious value in the symbolisms as they can remind us of that experience.

I can't answer the question worded like that. I'd say both answers are correct, depending on how we look at it and what type of Christianity.

It's not a huge monolithic cult, though it includes cults, both historical and still functioning in the definition.

syo

Is that so?To whom? I googled the definition this is what i got:
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St. Olaf"
  • a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
    "a network of Satan-worshiping cults"
    synonyms: sect, religious group, denomination, religious order, church, faith, faith community, belief, persuasion, affiliation, movement; More

• a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
    "a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"
There can be huge cults, in my opinion.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think we will try to convert anyone we are just discussing it. I'll keep the boundary of talking about Christianity and trying to push my beliefs.
He's not asking about Quakers though. He's asking us to convert him.

VoidCat

He's not asking about Quakers though. He's asking us to convert him.
Is that what he is doing?Sorry I'm not too good at reading peoples intentions..Also I am a christian I just thought he was asking about christian beliefs and wheter there is any value..If thats what he is trying to do then I'll leave.