• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leghold Traps

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I'm not sure if this will become a debate or not . My pupose of making this post is to state that I have been mistaken { as I believe most Canadians are } , and I have stated that leghold traps are banned in Canada .

I have found out that they ARE NOT ! Leghold , or foothold traps are allowed , if they have been " modified with a " padded " or " offset " jaw . Which does nothing to end any suffering of the animal , but most likely would prevent the trap from breaking the leg , thus allowing the animal to " defoot " it's self .

30 years ago they were talking about banning the leghold trap . I guess that after enough talk , people kinda figured it had happened ? I know that I did . And MOST trappers I know use " Conibear " traps , that work like a mouse trap and kills rather quickly .

I have also discovered that by law , an animal can be left in a trap for 72 hours . For three whole days ?

Now I have nothing agaisnt trapping . I have trapped myself when I was younger . { But if I had left a trap for 3 days , I would have gotten my butt kicked }. And my father , 78 years old , still traps a bit . But I am very upset about being somewhat mislead . And I don't believe that there is any need for the leghold trap . { ok , some could say that there is no need for trapping ... }

Ok , I just wanted to rant a bit and get this off my chest .

ChrisP

Veteran Member
And Fair enough Kreeden!

I'm no vegetarian, and have hunted before. Looking something in the eye as it dies is a little different from leaving it stranded for what, to me, is a long time in the middle of the bush, defenseless and unable to flee.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
No , only certain forms of torture are illegal . That applies to humans as well as animals .

There is more to this then I have told so far . The reason why I was so upset about this whole thing .

A few years ago , there were no Marmots in this area . Some believe that they came in on logging trucks , hiding in the loads of logs . Anyway , they showed up at a couple of mill-yards first . Since that time , they have became a bit of a problem , and a health concern . They can carry the Hanta Virus . The little things do seem to product a lot of solid waste for their size . And the appear to breed like rabbits .

Anyway , one mill has hired a pest control , understandably . Yesterday evening I was taking a picture of this little guy ....
Marmot.jpg
{ cute ain't he } And ... well , twenty minutes later , I came back and hear him . He was in a leghold trap .

Now , I have no problem with killing , if the need be . Have done it all my life . But I hate being put into a position not of my own choosing . Not is not really it neither , only part . The end is that I felt that I had to put the little guy out of his missery , even though I didn't want to . And yea , I'm upset .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
To make things worst , I talked to the company about it , and they deniled that they were using any trap other then live traps ... so I had to drag the #*##&@** out there and show him the trap . He did appear surprised , and said that he would look into it ... I KNOW that he will . :) Sooner or later . I will see to that . ;)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Well, I'd offer to take a 22 out and do it for them. At least then you know it's getting done the "right" way.

A

angellous_evangellous

What is it with people and .22's? A 12 gauge would be far more appropriate.

Leg traps are torture. Kill the buggers with a real gun.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
A 12 gauge is just plain Messy. 22's are lethal to anything that size even with a body wound, have little to no recoil and allow you to get off multiple shots at multiple moving targets.

Sorry, I'm used to rabbit hunting. They all sprint out of their burrows at the same time so as to decrease the chance of themselves getting hit, and to confuse you by giving you at least 20 targets to pick from.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*shivers* I'm very sorry to hear about the little guy, and that you had to deal with someone else's unkindness. I'm thankful that, if the event had to happen, you were there to end its suffering.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I would perfer a .22 also . Or a shotgun . Messy , but it gets the job done .

BTW Chris , try a sharp whistle . Rabbits will tend to freeze for a sec , allowing you to pick your shot .

A

angellous_evangellous

kreeden said:
I would perfer a .22 also . Or a shotgun . Messy , but it gets the job done .

Plus you can just shoot the hole. No need to wait or mess with a whistle.

sparc872

That is very unfortunate. I am sorry you had to go through the trouble of ending the poor things life. Good luck to you in fighting the company and holding them responsible :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) I don't think the company will be much trouble . They are quite concerned about public opinion . I do have pictures .... Plus the guy I talked to took pictures . So I think that the leghold traps will be removed .

Which is why I am not naming the company . :) Yet ...