• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalize my new religion

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Your question was whether people doing things God dislikes breaks God's omniscience. The word you meant to use was omnipotence. Foreknowledge of an action is not causation.

God is omniscience but not classically omnipotent. There are some things God cannot do--like act contrary to His nature. His nature is making right and good choices. God chose to give people free will. God could NOT force you to Hell or Heaven against your will because He chose rightly to give YOU the POWER to choose. Since God has given you power, He in this case in not all-powerful.

He knows in advance whether you will choose Heaven or Hell (omniscience).

He allows you in advance to make the choice for yourself (lessened omnipotence).

Understand that omnipotence isn't a biblical term but a philosophical one. The Bible does say nothing is to difficult for God (which here includes sharing power).

No, my statements had nothing to do with people, but with the cksim that an omniscient god should be aware, via the claimed omniscience, all future events.

Right the kjv is wrong then.. Face enough, you best tell all those Christians who set store by the king James that revelation 19:6 needs rewriting.

So you are aosi saying that an omniscient designer god is incapable of creating a design to christian specification?

Reactions: BSL

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
No, my statements had nothing to do with people, but with the cksim that an omniscient god should be aware, via the claimed omniscience, all future events.

Right the kjv is wrong then.. Face enough, you best tell all those Christians who set store by the king James that revelation 19:6 needs rewriting.

So you are aosi saying that an omniscient designer god is incapable of creating a design to christian specification?

God certainly knows all future events. Yes.

Revelation 19 is referring to a future event in Heaven. Yes.

I don't understand this sentence: "So you are also saying that an omniscient designer god is incapable of creating a design to christian specification?" But I can try: This world is made to Christian specifications. Christians earn rewards here. What eternal treasures are you storing for later?

ChristineM

Premium Member
God certainly knows all future events. Yes.

Revelation 19 is referring to a future event in Heaven. Yes.

I don't understand this sentence: "So you are also saying that an omniscient designer god is incapable of creating a design to christian specification?" But I can try: This world is made to Christian specifications. Christians earn rewards here. What eternal treasures are you storing for later?

If you are asking what is revelation 19:6 (KJV) : And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

Your previous post seemed to deny this.

It's simple enough, i am asking whether you believe an omniscient (all knowing) god does or does not know all that will happen?

Actually this world is made of a ball of rock that happens to far enough away from the sun to gain and hold an atmosphere bur not too far away that the atmosphere froze. It existed long (about 4.5 billion years) before jesus was even a twinkle in julius pantera's eye.

Milton Platt

I want to start a new religion.
The basic tenet of the religion is to do whatever pleases you.
If you join the religion, you will be able to fulfill all your wishes and those of the members of the religion.
Somebody make the religion legal and worldwide, and make me your god, the god of pleasure.
I want everybody to call the religion BSLism.

I don't know about worldwide...but locally, you need to talk to the IRS

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
here in the USA.....you can actually do that
tax exemptions and all

be sure to check the legalities

Haha. Kinda. In VA if you're not a major religion, you have to have a Bible in your church even if it's collecting dust to consider it a religion/church.

:(

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Haha. Kinda. In VA if you're not a major religion, you have to have a Bible in your church even if it's collecting dust to consider it a religion/church.

:(
ah....
seems to contrast with the 20/20 news cast I saw sooooo many years ago

some old guy was up on charges for twisting the law to his favor
he confesses to have been issuing the needed paper work to be part of his church
the price....$2

why?
to undermine the proselytizing at his front door

he reasoned that if enough was dealt....the gov would shut down the tax exemption for all
and in effect shut down many churches

the law allows the formation of a church...you as leader
and the requirements are not difficult to achieve

if sufficient numbers were to grow the gov would need to revamp the scheme of things
and many churches would need to pay taxes

but he got himself in trouble as the plot he devised became known

oooooops!

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If you are asking what is revelation 19:6 (KJV) : And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

Your previous post seemed to deny this.

It's simple enough, i am asking whether you believe an omniscient (all knowing) god does or does not know all that will happen?

Actually this world is made of a ball of rock that happens to far enough away from the sun to gain and hold an atmosphere bur not too far away that the atmosphere froze. It existed long (about 4.5 billion years) before jesus was even a twinkle in julius pantera's eye.

The word used in 19:6 is not omnipotent but παντοκράτωρ pantokrátōr, meaning "ruler of all". God rules all the universe and nature and man, but has also ruled that people may have power under free will. Repeating--the word omnipotent is a philosophical construct, not a Bible term. God shares power with you, but you will judged for how you exercise your power.

God knows all that will happen. He is omniscient although this is again a non-Bible term. Repeating, foreknowledge is not foreordination. Men knew in advance where the Moon would be when the Apollo rockets were launched into near-empty space where the Moon would be, days later, for the Moon landings. Did people MAKE the Moon go to meet the Apollo or did they simply have foreknowledge of the Moon's path?

BSL

Atheist God
The word used in 19:6 is not omnipotent but παντοκράτωρ pantokrátōr, meaning "ruler of all". God rules all the universe and nature and man, but has also ruled that people may have power under free will. Repeating--the word omnipotent is a philosophical construct, not a Bible term. God shares power with you, but you will judged for how you exercise your power.

God knows all that will happen. He is omniscient although this is again a non-Bible term. Repeating, foreknowledge is not foreordination. Men knew in advance where the Moon would be when the Apollo rockets were launched into near-empty space where the Moon would be, days later, for the Moon landings. Did people MAKE the Moon go to meet the Apollo or did they simply have foreknowledge of the Moon's path?
παντοκράτωρ pantokrátōr .. I've got to be a pantokrátōr

ChristineM

Premium Member

I specifically identified the kjv

And then you waffle so ignored

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I specifically identified the kjv

And then you waffle so ignored

I specifically addressed the word pantocrator in the KJV and the words in and not in the KJV.

So let's get down to it--the issue isn't that you pretend pantocrator and omnipotent mean the same thing--the issue is God should be punished for the things you do of your free will. Should God not reward either of us for things we do that are good, too? Since He FORCES us to do good things?

You cannot have it both ways--if you really believe God is to be held responsible for all of man's evil, then balance your view and applaud Him for all of man's good deeds!

ChristineM

Premium Member
I specifically addressed the word pantocrator in the KJV and the words in and not in the KJV.

So let's get down to it--the issue isn't that you pretend pantocrator and omnipotent mean the same thing--the issue is God should be punished for the things you do of your free will. Should God not reward either of us for things we do that are good, too? Since He FORCES us to do good things?

You cannot have it both ways--if you really believe God is to be held responsible for all of man's evil, then balance your view and applaud Him for all of man's good deeds!

Straw man... Again.

Revelation 19:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

End of story

It's not me who believes god magic on a twizzle stick, you are the one claiming
A/ god is all knowing (omnipotent)
B/ god is not responsible for the people he created in his omnipotence
C/ god had no clue how said people would turn out.

What was that about both ways. You want god to be an all powerful creator of everything but you don't want god to be responsible for the bits of his creation you don't like.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Straw man... Again.

Revelation 19:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

End of story

It's not me who believes god magic on a twizzle stick, you are the one claiming
A/ god is all knowing (omnipotent)
B/ god is not responsible for the people he created in his omnipotence
C/ god had no clue how said people would turn out.

What was that about both ways. You want god to be an all powerful creator of everything but you don't want god to be responsible for the bits of his creation you don't like.

The KJV translators took the word pantocrator, which is ALSO in the KJV's Greek, and chose the philosophy word omnipotent for some reason, but fine, God is omnipotent, He has all power, and He chooses to share that power with you.

I'm asking since you are blaming God for bad in the world (omnipotence) if you will praise God for the good in the world (omnipotence), which is what I meant by you cannot have it both ways.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The KJV translators took the word pantocrator, which is ALSO in the KJV's Greek, and chose the philosophy word omnipotent for some reason, but fine, God is omnipotent, He has all power, and He chooses to share that power with you.

I'm asking since you are blaming God for bad in the world (omnipotence) if you will praise God for the good in the world (omnipotence), which is what I meant by you cannot have it both ways.

I am blaming god for nothing just as i blame harry potter for nothing. I am blaming you for being selective about what the bible says about god.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I am blaming god for nothing just as i blame harry potter for nothing. I am blaming you for being selective about what the bible says about god.

The Bible says that God is sovereign over all.

The Bible says that you have free will.

The Bible says that God omnisciently (accurately) judges people.

The Bible says that God DID take responsibility for human mistakes and deliberate evils by dying on the cross.

What more would you ask?

ChristineM

Premium Member
The Bible says that God is sovereign over all.

The Bible says that you have free will.

The Bible says that God omnisciently (accurately) judges people.

The Bible says that God DID take responsibility for human mistakes and deliberate evils by dying on the cross.

What more would you ask?

The bible says beating your slaves is cool

The bible says god condones rape

The bible says god was the first to commit genocide.

The bible says god kills children

The bible says god condones murder

Good Christian education?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The bible says beating your slaves is cool

The bible says god condones rape

The bible says god was the first to commit genocide.

The bible says god kills children

The bible says god condones murder

Good Christian education?

What does anything you wrote have to do with anything I wrote? I asked you a question and you reply with rhetoric.