• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leftists suggest re-education camps, firing squads, banning talk radio to deprogram Trump supporters

PureX

Veteran Member
Many have claimed that social media have been used to influence public opinion and interfere with the US election process. I'm not sure what you were getting at by saying they're "an excellent source for..." but their impact on the U.S. political scene has been noticeable.
Twitter just gives idiocy a louder voice.

ecco

Veteran Member
That goes both ways, and no one deserves to have their character assassinated for supporting the president. You're just spitting on tens of millions of your fellow citizens. It needs to stop, from both sides.

I disagree. People who support a narcissistic pathological liar deserve to have their character (rather, their lack of character) assassinated.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think you're on the right track here. I don't think it's necessary to "deprogram" any of the common people. It's the people on Wall Street and other elitist bastions where the deprogramming is badly needed. If today's "left" was worth their salt, they wouldn't go after confused, disaffected working-class people who only ever wanted a fair day's wage for a fair day's work.
I agree with this. But the democratic party is just as corrupted and bought off by the wealthy elites as the republican party is. So they won't dare address the real problem. Instead, they'll continue to blame everything on the republicans and the "idiots" that support them. Just as the republicans are doing to the democrats.

And while we're all blaming each other, our wealthy 'overlords' can continue to rob us all blind, and their toadies in political office can continue to get rich from their bribe money.

MNoBody

The battle for hearts and minds in Vietnam was also apparently futile. It seems that it's a common phenomenon for humans to resist outsiders coming in and telling them what to do and how to think.
particularly at gun-point...hmmm ....wonder why:eek:o_O

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think "wall st." needs to do differently?

The most I would prefer at this point is just some semblance of honesty and straight talk. Most of what we hear from both corporate executives and politicians (and they're remarkably similar at times) is filtered through newscasters, press secretaries, and public relations firms - not to mention lawyers, if they get into any kind of trouble.

I guess I just get tired of all the BS.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I disagree. People who support a narcissistic pathological liar deserve to have their character (rather, their lack of character) assassinated.
If that standard applies to others, should it apply to you too, ie,
should you be judged based upon supporting Biden (with his
history of war & racism)?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I came across this article this morning. I've never heard of this particular source, but they've included several tweets as their source material.

Leftists Suggest “Re-education Camps,” “Firing Squads,” Banning Talk Radio to “Deprogram” 75 Million Trump Supporters
deprogram-75-million-trump-supporters/

They're comparing this to post-WW2 Germany or Japan, or Reconstruction in the South in the Postbellum period. Do people think it's really so severe as all that?

Nuremberg trials? I think there are some who should probably be put on trial, including a number of brutal cops and officials at some of the atrocious refugee detention centers we've been hearing about. Those who commit actual crimes should be put on trial, but not just for having certain beliefs.

I sometimes wonder where they get these ideas. The "same mentality" as the German Nazis? False equivalence?

Firing squads? Rounding up entire families? I wonder who has the "same mentality" as whom?

And what kind of "re-education" are they proposing? What would this curriculum look like?

Well, on this one, it's really the fault of the media and those who own it, particularly the radio stations (and I'm not just referring to the right-wing broadcasters either).

Honestly, I don't think these views reflect the majority of liberals and leftists, although sometimes they appear to be the loudest. Perhaps what we could do is put the loudest and most intense fanatics from both sides in the same place, let them fight it out and give the rest of us some peace.

Actually, if you are looking for a historical comparison to that article, it is Germany, but not post WW II, it is pre WW II. Late 20s to early 30s....when the German democratic state was crushed from the inside.....and it is this sort of thing that concerns me....Note: I am not calling anyone a Nazi, but the historical parallels are a bit disconcerting.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, go let loose and assassinate my character, and I'll just kick it over to staff. Your choice.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump is, objectively, unique among US presidents, in his mendacity and personal obnoxiousness. Anyone who can't see that is delusional.

But indeed, what I am describing is really the weakness of human nature rather than something new. The issue is the depths to which people like Trump is prepared to stoop, in order to profit from those weaknesses. We've seen it before, many times, around the world.

I think my view of Trump has been fairly objective, although I'm trying to look at the overall situation and how we might have come to this point. Where I take issue is in this implication that it's all about Trump, as if he's somehow single-handedly turned all these tens of millions of Americans into raving lunatics.

I don't see Trump as some kind of cult of personality, nor do I see that he has any kind of secret plan to seize power and set up an authoritarian dictatorship. Even if he wanted to do that, I don't think he would really know how to organize and set up such a thing.

Some people might be tricked into thinking they want authoritarianism, perhaps if they think there's a crisis and a temporary measure might be required to resolve it.

Audie

Veteran Member
But that is not the issue here. Trump is.
WANNABEE telepshychiatists not with, as they say, standing

Audie

Veteran Member
I was referring to people in this country. People who are raised to believe simplicities like God made the world and then God flooded the world. Belief in that stuff leads to a complete lack of critical thinking.

Not complete lack, no. Noy generally, I think,
because people often compartmentalize.

Though a lot of them are deeply into binary thinking which ftm is far from their exclusivce.

All this talk of dark side and evil is binary thinking, gross oversimplification, utterly lacking in nuance and what a shocking display of bigotry. In, ya, know, my opinion.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, if you are looking for a historical comparison to that article, it is Germany, but not post WW II, it is pre WW II. Late 20s to early 30s....when the German democratic state was crushed from the inside.....and it is this sort of thing that concerns me....Note: I am not calling anyone a Nazi, but the historical parallels are a bit disconcerting.

Possibly, although there are some key differences between the two situations. Germany had previously lived under the Kaiser and had a very nationalistic bent which had persisted for generations. We've never really had anything like that; it's not a part of the American historical experience or our political culture.

After WW1, Germany was humiliated, bankrupt, and in a politically fragile situation. Other new nations and governments were formed throughout Europe, and they were also in a fragile state of affairs (and most of them would also turn into dictatorships). In Germany, they had to haul wheelbarrows full of money in order to buy a single loaf of bread. Things have never gotten that bad in America, even though we've had some bouts with inflation in the past. It never got to that level of severity. I suppose it could get to that point, if the repercussions and impact of COVID continue to persist.

A Vestigial Mote

You may be correct, although I think it's a big assumption to think that the rational position should win out. There may be competing and equally irrational positions at work here, but that's a different matter.
Each of us can only assume we hold the correct position (whatever it is that we cherish about it) until it is demonstrated to us that we are in error (either because the thing actually conflicts with other principles we hold, or can be demonstrated to be the better position for all parties involved, etc.). That's really the only way this works.

ecco

Veteran Member
Well, go let loose and assassinate my character, and I'll just kick it over to staff. Your choice.

"kick it over to staff"? Are you one of those people who needs moderators to fight their battles? That would be sad.

However, didn't you say...
I don't **** on people for voting for Biden. They're just brainwashed by the MSM.

You just asserted that people like me who voted for Biden are "brainwashed"! Perhaps I should report you for making a baseless comment about my character and my mental fitness.