• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leftists suggest re-education camps, firing squads, banning talk radio to deprogram Trump supporters

Audie

Veteran Member
I came across this article this morning. I've never heard of this particular source, but they've included several tweets as their source material.

Leftists Suggest “Re-education Camps,” “Firing Squads,” Banning Talk Radio to “Deprogram” 75 Million Trump Supporters
deprogram-75-million-trump-supporters/

They're comparing this to post-WW2 Germany or Japan, or Reconstruction in the South in the Postbellum period. Do people think it's really so severe as all that?

Nuremberg trials? I think there are some who should probably be put on trial, including a number of brutal cops and officials at some of the atrocious refugee detention centers we've been hearing about. Those who commit actual crimes should be put on trial, but not just for having certain beliefs.

I sometimes wonder where they get these ideas. The "same mentality" as the German Nazis? False equivalence?

Firing squads? Rounding up entire families? I wonder who has the "same mentality" as whom?

And what kind of "re-education" are they proposing? What would this curriculum look like?

Well, on this one, it's really the fault of the media and those who own it, particularly the radio stations (and I'm not just referring to the right-wing broadcasters either).

Honestly, I don't think these views reflect the majority of liberals and leftists, although sometimes they appear to be the loudest. Perhaps what we could do is put the loudest and most intense fanatics from both sides in the same place, let them fight it out and give the rest of us some peace.

Where would be a good area or arena for this
batle to full mutual destruction?

Can send a few Chinese commies too? PLZ???

Audie

Veteran Member
The only way to diminish the impact of the right-wing crazies is to teach critical thinking.

Don't ask me how to accomplish this.

It won't work on lefties either.

Hell, mu old uncle who was with the Red Guards STILL spouts Mao-talk if you stick around to hear it.

QuestioningMind

I see some of the usual suspects in this thread trying to downplay this meanwhile they spout similar rhetoric all over this board. Typical. It's out of hand. I don't deserve to have all this disgusting **** said about my character simply because I voted for Trump. They don't know me so they have no business judging me. I don't **** on people for voting for Biden. This is supposed to be America, where we're free to support whoever we please for president. They're just brainwashed by the MSM.

You are free to support whoever you want for president. But if you choose to vote for a selfish unpatriotic bigot you shouldn't be too terribly surprised if people conclude that you must be a selfish unpatriotic bigot as well.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm not trying to "win them over." Not hardly. I'm not looking for allies. I'm looking to get people to see their opinions as ridiculous so that they might change them. That is precisely what I am trying to do.

Rarely do I attack the person, themselves, directly. It is usually all about the ideas. Most people are unable to separate the two, however. I do not care about this. I don't see it as my problem.

I'm not, at all, looking to "feel good" with this. That's not what is about. I also do not, in any way, need your approval.

I get this, and I have seen it. But I firmly believe that even as the heels are dug in, if the position being taken and presented is reasonable enough (more reasonable then their own) then the seed has been planted regardless. This is exactly what I sense when someone simply refuses to comment or answer to a particular point I have made, and instead goes after the lowest hanging fruit in the points I have made (for example, to call me out for making "ad hominem" attacks when all we are discussing are their opinions and ideas), or simply refuses to comment altogether. They got the point... they got the message. Rest assured that much is true. They can't run forever.
"They can't run forever" I fear is just the aggressive, fight-to-the-death approach that will keep Trumpism alive, because it will encourage the formation of hostile silos that only communicate by abusing one another. They may not be able to "run forever", but they can turn on you and elect someone who will deprive you permanently of your voice. So who will be the fool then? We've just had one narrow squeak. The next may not turn out so well.

We badly need some group psychology, it seems to me, to understand what motivates people to want to believe all the lies. They feel ignored, belittled and angry, that is plain. It's a question of why and what can be done about it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You are free to support whoever you want for president. But if you choose to vote for a selfish unpatriotic bigot you shouldn't be too terribly surprised if people conclude that you must be a selfish unpatriotic bigot as well.
That goes both ways, and no one deserves to have their character assassinated for supporting the president. You're just spitting on tens of millions of your fellow citizens. It needs to stop, from both sides.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That goes both ways, and no one deserves to have their character assassinated for supporting the president. You're just spitting on tens of millions of your fellow citizens. It needs to stop, from both sides.
We don't assume that Biden voters are pro-war, anti-school integration,
racists just because that's who he is. Voting for so-&-so for President
doesn't define the voter....it can be complicated.

A vote does not define the voter.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

"They can't run forever" I fear is just the aggressive, fight-to-the-death approach that will keep Trumpism alive, because it will encourage the formation of hostile silos that only communicate by abusing one another. They may not be able to "run forever", but they can turn on you and elect someone who will deprive you permanently of your voice. So who will be the fool then? We've just had one narrow squeak. The next may not turn out so well.

We badly need some group psychology, it seems to me, to understand what motivates people to want to believe all the lies. They feel ignored, belittled and angry, that is plain. It's a question of why and what can be done about it.
I understand what you are saying, and I definitely contemplate it from time to time. All it takes is the guy and his millions of fans who employ "might makes right" and we'll find ourselves in hot water. That's why there are certain buttons I try not to push. You do never know who you are dealing with, and how far they will be willing to go when no one else is looking.

I definitely try not to communicate from within a "silo" - more recently I've had people seem to imply that I must be a "liberal" or "democrat" because I criticize some of the things Trump has been doing lately with regard to the election - and they'll do things like point out that Gore or Hillary did some of the same things here or there... and I honestly couldn't give less of a crap. I will be the very first to condemn them all for such actions. We need fewer people with the mentality willing to walk "party lines." Walk your own line. Whatever you think is right, fight for it. Don't let someone else you want to try and please or emulate tell you what is right. That's ridiculous. And I honestly think it is the basis for people adopting beliefs that aren't entirely cogent, or blatantly ignore various facts and more rational ideas. People's willingness to be told what they think is "right" or "real" by those they want to maintain commune with. If they have poor ideas, I don't care who they are to you - tell them so.

PureX

Veteran Member
How to deprogram 75 million Trump supporters?

That's easy. It's only the idiot politicians that can't see it. You just stop kissing the butts of the one percent and worshiping the Stock Market, and start putting people back to work at real jobs that pay a real wage. It's that simple. Do that, and Trump and his ilk will be tossed to the curb like the dog turds they are.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, it's just a collection of tweets, and as I said, I don't think this represents the majority of leftists. But based on the tone and rhetoric I've seen lately, there seems to be a lot of loud talk with varying degrees of extremity. As for a reliable source, I could likely find plenty of examples, even here on RF, of Trump supporters being compared to Nazis. That's become a common trope, actually.

Even "basket of deplorables" seems to go along the same general line of reasoning at work here. If people think that these 75 million people are just so horrible and with the same mentality as Nazis, does this mean someone might propose a program of "de-Nazification" in America? What direction is the country actually taking at this point?

Granted, as you say, this could be just a bunch of wild crazy talk from a tiny echo chamber, just as there's wild crazy talk coming from tiny echo chambers on the right. But sometimes it goes beyond the echo chambers and spreads among the body politic if it goes unchecked.
And one can find similar tweets etc. from "rightists" (and the President). Ignore them for the idiots that they are. It has nothing to do with reality.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
*Mod post* Removed a good two dozen replies. Let's try again more civilly, shall we? *Mod post*

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yup, another lie from the true fake "news" gang.
I have yet to see any others promoting Trump's nonsense of a "stolen election." And it's very lame what they have at that. Like the postal working getting "some" of something for one of these undercover RW bozo "journalists," never once explicitly saying ballots but just "some."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
@Stevicus

When you re-post things like this, and thereby contribute to the spreading of it; do you do so because you actually believe what you are reading?

Are you asking if I believe that some people have extreme beliefs such as those outlined in this thread? Yes, I do. Hillary Clinton believes much the same thing when she uses phrases such as "basket of deplorables." It comes out with the cancel culture, too. Again, as I've pointed out more than once in this thread (doesn't anyone ever read entire posts?), I don't believe this is reflective of the majority of liberals and leftists, but it's enough to be noticeable.

This is fear-propaganda. Historically, there’s not much new about it - except for how it is spread (where you come in). This particular sort was especially common in Europe, between WW1 and 2. Its aim then, was to increase support for NSDAP (that’s the nazis btw) by playing on and spreading our fear of Russia.

You're from Germany?

I hear fear propaganda coming from both sides. How often we've heard people compare Trump and his supporters to Nazis, but now, multiple people are posting here and pretending like they've never heard it before.

My point is not that we should not fear a true far-left - all true extremism (incl. the far-right sort) is horrific! My point is that you here are helping to spread misinformation and fear-propaganda.

That is not a great thing, I feel.

What misinformation? The tweets that appeared in the article are easy enough to verify, and please don't pretend like you've never heard that kind of talk before. Fear propaganda has been around for a long time, and it comes from both sides.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I caught your mirthful tone in the OP.
But yes, there are indeed some bizarrely extreme reactionaries on the left.
Oh, the slings & arrows I've endured at their hands & tongues.
(Too bad @columbus isn't here to misinterpret that last sentence.)

It's really not the slings and arrows that I'm looking at, but what strikes me is that there are people who seem to have a vastly different perception of the world. Some people think Trump is a Nazi. Others think that Biden is a Communist. Is it me, or does this sound like some kind of alternate reality? That's what I'm wondering about.

Milton Platt

I came across this article this morning. I've never heard of this particular source, but they've included several tweets as their source material.

Leftists Suggest “Re-education Camps,” “Firing Squads,” Banning Talk Radio to “Deprogram” 75 Million Trump Supporters

They're comparing this to post-WW2 Germany or Japan, or Reconstruction in the South in the Postbellum period. Do people think it's really so severe as all that?

Nuremberg trials? I think there are some who should probably be put on trial, including a number of brutal cops and officials at some of the atrocious refugee detention centers we've been hearing about. Those who commit actual crimes should be put on trial, but not just for having certain beliefs.

I sometimes wonder where they get these ideas. The "same mentality" as the German Nazis? False equivalence?

Firing squads? Rounding up entire families? I wonder who has the "same mentality" as whom?

And what kind of "re-education" are they proposing? What would this curriculum look like?

Well, on this one, it's really the fault of the media and those who own it, particularly the radio stations (and I'm not just referring to the right-wing broadcasters either).

Honestly, I don't think these views reflect the majority of liberals and leftists, although sometimes they appear to be the loudest. Perhaps what we could do is put the loudest and most intense fanatics from both sides in the same place, let them fight it out and give the rest of us some peace.

My bull**** meter is pegged out.........

Summit News - Media Bias/Fact Check

Goddess Kit

Especially considering that most conservatives cannot adequately pinpoint any Republican policy that effectively benefits them as average citizens.

Goddess Kit

We don't assume that Biden voters are pro-war, anti-school integration,
racists just because that's who he is. Voting for so-&-so for President
doesn't define the voter....it can be complicated.
A vote does not define the voter.

I would have to disagree here. A vote represents that the voter is okay with what that candidate is representing.

Heyo

Veteran Member

You really take that serious?
Put up a thread asking "how do you deprogram 75 million people?" and you'll get similar answers. And very few would mean it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's really not the slings and arrows that I'm looking at, but what strikes me is that there are people who seem to have a vastly different perception of the world. Some people think Trump is a Nazi. Others think that Biden is a Communist. Is it me, or does this sound like some kind of alternate reality? That's what I'm wondering about.
I just read some coverage of Giuliani's antics...a sweaty eruption
over plots by various countries to install Biden. And my friend
who reports on rightish talk radio tells me of the massive vote
fraud everywhere to upend Trump's landslide victory. (Judges
who say no evidence presented are part of the conspiracy.)
And then on the other side we have rabid hostilities towards
any & every who aren't anti-Trumpers.
Alternate realities they indeed are.