• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Left Hand Path Debate

ktf

Greetings All,

I am not interested in simple bickering...I am interested in philosophical investigation...so here I will post once again:

I am glad there are some responses…and so soon. First of all let me clarify that I have no beef with Dr. Aquino. From what I can tell from his writing (both fiction and non fiction), his posting in various forums, and the words of friends who have been in personal contact with him over a number of years, the man is a consummate Black Magician. It is also beyond doubt (to me atleast) that he has contributed tremendously to the elevation and quantum leaps of understanding and praxis of the LHP in the West. I do not always agree with his conclusions, and I have found that in some areas his scholarship is less than stellar, and that he makes some questionable leaps in logic. However, I do not think I would be where I am or even who I am without the Work of Dr. Aquino. To a large degree the same can be said of the Works of Don Webb, Stephen Flowers, RKB, and James Lewis. By extension, I would not be who I am or where I am if the Temple of Set had never Come into Being. I deeply, deeply appreciate the Work that the ToS has done over the years. Some of my most prized magical documents have there origin in the Temple. In the same way, I deeply appreciate the Work of Anton LaVey, and the Church of Satan. Where would most of us be if LaVey had not stepped boldly onto the scene in the 1960’s? I also have been formed by the Work of Crowley, Jack Parsons, Peter Carrol, and Phil Hine. The Work of the IOT has been a great source of inspiration and knowledge as well. These were/are all great magicians, who started great magical Orders…most of which have morphed into something far, far different from what they were founded to be. Perhaps it would be safe to say that were it not for the initial greatness, and ground breaking nature of the ToS there would be no point in so closely scrutinizing their actions, trajectory, and praxis.
When I write that the ToS is no longer an Initiatory School and more a cult of personality and faith based religion I am attempting to make assertions, not based on emotion, but based on logical scrutiny and analysis. We are told repeatedly that the only dogma in the Temple is Xeper but even a quick glance through “Black Magic” by Dr. Aquino will prove that this is not the case. Among some of the more blatant dogma in “Black Magic” is the idea that human brain development can not be explained by modern science. While the explaination might not be satisfactory to some, there are numerous explainations that do not involve the Set entity tampering with early human evolution. This is basic science and easy to research if one is so inclined. The very existence of the Set entity is a matter of dogma. I know that R. Adams and Sireal will repeat the line that it is only necessary for the Priest hood but what does Dr. Aquino say?
"As noted above, the relevant point of "Black Magic" is that there is a necessity for the existence and influence of Set, and it is based upon this necessity that we presume his existence.

Having made such a presumption, through a more precise Understanding of our own consciousness we empathize with this Form/neter. None of this requires "faith" or "belief".

In this sense we do not require "faith or beleif in Set" of anyone in the Temple, no matter of what degree. On the other hand, I would expect anyone qualifyng for the II* to comprehend the above presumption and to personally agree with it. If one cannot or will not, then that person is not (in my opinion) displaying the kind of mental and initiatory rigor of thought that identifies an Adpet II*, much less any higher degree."

The Scroll of Set
Issue #114
Vol. XVII-I
Feb. 1991
It would seem clear that a belief in the Set entity would be required from the II*. Perhaps the greatest expression of dogma I have found is again in the early pages of “Black Magic”. On page 4 the new Setian is told that, “If on the other hand you find that you are having difficulty with these basic propositions, or if you find them unsatisfactory or unconvincing, then it is an indication that you should probably seek out another religion or philosophical environment for personal exploration and expression.” Compare this quote with the following from pg.43: “True philosophy differs from faith or ideology in that philosophy is a disinterested search for truth, where in the outcome of the search is not predetermined by dogma”. In other words, philosophy starts with questions not answers. But early on the new Setian is told that if he cannot accept the basic propositions of the Temple, he should go elsewhere. Not that he should question or investigate, but move on. This is a hallmark or religious dogma, not true philosophy. The first 4 chapters of “Black Magic” are peppered with further dogmatic claims. If you have not read it in a few years I would suggest doing so with a critical eye.
I was asked what the point of such critique and argument is. It was asserted that such critique was time wasted that should be spent on furthering personal Initiation. In my view, the two are not separate. I agree with Dr. Aquino that a tremendous aspect of Initiation is a, “Socratic refutation of confused, imprecise, and unsubstantiated information and thinking. It is the imparting of truth a smuch as we know it to be, and even more importantly it is the imparting of the ability to pursue truth and to recognize it when it is found.”(pg.20 “Black Magic”) I would hope and assume that Dr. Aquino does not place his ideas or the praxis of the Temple outside of the bounds of Socratic refutation and analysis.
Regarding the cult of personality, I do not think it is based on Dr. Aquino as much as it is based on the Priesthood and Magistery. In my experience members, and prospective members do not criticize the ideas or practices of these individuals as these individuals hold the keys to higher grades of recognition. As a member of the Priesthood once told me, “no one ****** off the Priesthood if they want to get the black cookie.” I also think that the Temples recognition system falls sway to politics and nepotism (see Dr. Flowers’ article “Contra Templum” for a very detailed explanation of this phenomenon). So again, in my opinion the cult of personality is based on the recognition system and the Priesthood and Magistery.
Lastly, it was asked what I myself am doing to attempt to further the trajectory of the LHP in the West. Firstly I think dialog is crucial. We have to understand what our collective missteps have been and attempt to progress from there. Secondly I attempt to stay in communication with as many adepts from as many different Orders and groups as possible, to learn from and attempt to expand the scope of current LHP philosophy and practice. Thirdly I cultivate my friendships with the renegade and solitary Setians. In my opinion they are on the cutting edge of Setian praxis. From all of this we work to create a new synthesis that will progress ourselves further down the road. I myself am not a Setian. I am a magician, a practioner of the LHP.

To Sireal, Robert Adams, Etu Malku, you are all members of the ToS who have publicly claimed that you are interested in discussing the philosophy of Setianism and who have argued for the status of the ToS as an Initiatory School. The above paragraphs are one expression of my critque and questions regarding your religion. Can you discuss this? Can you debate it?

And to all: there are all kinds of funny jokes, and claims that could be made in relation to all of us...and I am an individual that firmly believes in the unrestricted freedom to do so. However, it is obvious that certain levels of freedom of speech are not acceptable in certain realms among certain people. I think this debate could lead to some interesting ideas and critques that might lead to the advance of our LHP praxis. Perhaps we could keep our posts to logical, philosophical critque and debate of those we disagree with, there are plenty of arguments to be made! Cracking jokes, no matter how humorous, do not really contribute to debate, discuss, and compare and will not get very far.

Last edited:

KHPR

Social Meritocratist
KTF,

Original post edited out.

I find that you've already made up your mind on the Temple. So you are asking questions which you've already answered yourself. These aren't questions, but points of attack. My response will no doubt be a cause for a verbal parry and riposte. Just remember, those who live in glass huts shouldn't throw stones:

And to all: there are all kinds of funny jokes, and claims that could be made in relation to all of us...and I am an individual that firmly believes in the unrestricted freedom to do so. However, it is obvious that certain levels of freedom of speech are not acceptable in certain realms among certain people. I think this debate could lead to some interesting ideas and critques that might lead to the advance of our LHP praxis. Perhaps we could keep our posts to logical, philosophical critque and debate of those we disagree with, there are plenty of arguments to be made! Cracking jokes, no matter how humorous, do not really contribute to debate, discuss, and compare and will not get very far.

dogma

Xeper,
Magister Robert Adams
Host, KHPR: The Voice of Darkness

Last edited:

ktf

KHPR,

Please do not attempt to keep the bickering going. You could better serve us all by venturing a response to my post above.

fnord

Sorcerer
KTF, I have to wonder at the rather dogged pursuit on your part in continuing to force this discussion. Do you mind my asking what your specific motivation is?

To me, the answers that you seek are rather clear in both the available documentation at the ToS website, in Michael Aquino's responses to questions available via google all over the web and in many responses garnered from the posts of Setians herein.

Aquino writes in his ebook:
The Greater Black Magical working record The Book of Coming Forth by Night was not only a revelation to and reorientation of myself personally, but also the founding authority and philosophical cornerstone of the Temple of Set.

and then goes on to say:
In Chapter #1 I said that there was nothing overtly sensational, supernatural, or melodramatic about the Book of Coming Forth by Night working. I simply sat down and wrote it. It was not dictated to me by a materialized Egyptian god, nor did the words burn themselves into the pages like the fabled Hebrew ten Commandments. The thoughts were “comfortable” ones, comprehensible to me within my preexisting frames of reference. What, then, distinguished the Book of Coming Forth by Night from a mere meditation or exercise in creative writing?
No more and no less than a sensation I had then, and a conviction ever since, that something beyond Michael Aquino was generating it.
If the Book of Coming Forth by Night is the philosophical cornerstone of the Temple of Set and if something beyond Michael Aquino generated it then I think it's safe to assume that Setians understand the implications of what that means.

I had been considering joining the Temple up until yesterday simply because I'm fascinated with the writings available in their public library and because Aquino himself has pointed me to few innocuous books that have had a great impact on my understanding of my own path. The bottom line for me though is that some of the Temple philosophies just go too far for me and I realize that my path is in fact most aligned with LaVey's codified Satanism. Still, the Temple of Set is a fascinating path with much wisdom to offer and Aquino himself is a gracious and accommodating individual who I've appreciated very much in finding my own way.
Anyway, I don't see what you're not seeing, KTF. The basics are all available to anyone who wants to look.

Kori Houghton

Restricted
To me, the answers that you seek are rather clear in both the available documentation at the ToS website, in Michael Aquino's responses to questions available via google all over the web and in many responses garnered from the posts of Setians herein.

Actually I am not sure this is true.

Quote:
"Aquino writes in his ebook:
The Greater Black Magical working record The Book of Coming Forth by Night was not only a revelation to and reorientation of myself personally, but also the founding authority and philosophical cornerstone of the Temple of Set."

And herein lies the problem. TBOCFBN isn't a typical communicated document (and I am not going to parse it verse by verse to argue why I think so). Add the Ninth Solstice Message to TBOCFBN, and those little alarum bells start tinkling in the background. Either you hear the alarum, or you don't. I hear it. I think perhaps ktf hears something as well.

However, TBOCFBN doesn't have much impact on TOS documents, like Black Magic, if the reader focuses on magical how-to or why-do. The problem, for me anyway, is the doctrine and where it tries to mess with science.

Quote:
"In Chapter #1 I said that there was nothing overtly sensational, supernatural, or melodramatic about the Book of Coming Forth by Night working. I simply sat down and wrote it. It was not dictated to me by a materialized Egyptian god, nor did the words burn themselves into the pages like the fabled Hebrew ten Commandments. The thoughts were “comfortable” ones, comprehensible to me within my preexisting frames of reference. What, then, distinguished the Book of Coming Forth by Night from a mere meditation or exercise in creative writing?
No more and no less than a sensation I had then, and a conviction ever since, that something beyond Michael Aquino was generating it."

If the Book of Coming Forth by Night is the philosophical cornerstone of the Temple of Set and if something beyond Michael Aquino generated it then I think it's safe to assume that Setians understand the implications of what that means.

Maybe they understand, and maybe they don't. I'm not sure understanding of it is a requirement for lay members? Personally, I'm not sure who or what generated it. I'd be very uncomfortable myself citing it as 'the philosophical cornerstone' of my beliefs and practices.

fnord

Sorcerer
Add the Ninth Solstice Message to TBOCFBN, and those little alarum bells start tinkling in the background. Either you hear the alarum, or you don't. I hear it. I think perhaps ktf hears something as well.

And those alarms indicate what? That becoming a Setian isn't the right path for you? That's great, acknowledge the point and move on... waste no more time on it.

Aquino said something outside of himself generated thought inside of his head. That's the crux of what people are arguing about. It's a simple thing really, if you can't believe it then don't pursue the path of a Setian. If it makes sense to you in some way then perhaps the path is right for you.

Kori Houghton

Restricted
And those alarms indicate what? That becoming a Setian isn't the right path for you? That's great, acknowledge the point and move on... waste no more time on it.

I don't think a comparative study of late 20th Century occult movements is a waste of time. And I think you are perfectly welcome to feel differently than I do.

Aquino said something outside of himself generated thought inside of his head. That's the crux of what people are arguing about. It's a simple thing really, if you can't believe it then don't pursue the path of a Setian. If it makes sense to you in some way then perhaps the path is right for you.

So you are saying that someone who cannot believe in the Set entity (whatever its nature may be) communicating TBOCFBN cannot pursue their LHP within the Temple? Even at the levels below the clergy? This is new to me. I may have misunderstood previously, but I thought you were welcome to put that issue aside and pursue your Xeper. As long as you were working well within the TOS community, your acceptance of the revealed document wasn't an issue. And by 'working well' I do mean not badgering every other TOS member to debate the issue. Okay then. The TOS is much more of a religion than I thought it was.

One might wonder why this thread is entitled 'Left hand path debate' when the ToS is completely irrelevant to most on the LHP. I really could not care less about the ToS, or any other faith based religion.

fnord

Sorcerer
So you are saying that someone who cannot believe in the Set entity (whatever its nature may be) communicating TBOCFBN cannot pursue their LHP within the Temple? Even at the levels below the clergy? This is new to me. I may have misunderstood previously, but I thought you were welcome to put that issue aside and pursue your Xeper.
I'm not certain that is the case. In looking at things only from my own perspective, I would expect that someone who couldn't align with the foundational philosophy 100% might be pursuing the wrong path. Of course I'm not in any way suggesting that people shouldn't do just that if it works for them. For me, it's an illogical pursuit.

As long as you were working well within the TOS community, your acceptance of the revealed document wasn't an issue. And by 'working well' I do mean not badgering every other TOS member to debate the issue. Okay then. The TOS is much more of a religion than I thought it was.

That may be the case. Your underlined section there was the sort of behavior I was seeing here, which caused me to question why someone would behave in such a manner. That's why I questioned ktf's motivations in pursuing this. The documentation is out there, it's clear, Magister Adams has answered the questions and Michael Aquino himself has answered the questions both in his free ebook and in his postings.

The only motivations I can see for this is that ktf wants a public admission from Setians that they are theistic or maybe he sees value in the Setian way beyond that one sticking point or it may be that he wants to ridicule Setians in a public forum.

I don't get the sense that he's being disingenuous in asking questions so I don't really know his motivations.

Kori Houghton

Restricted
One might wonder why this thread is entitled 'Left hand path debate' when the ToS is completely irrelevant to most on the LHP. I really could not care less about the ToS, or any other faith based religion.

20 years or so ago, the Temple did not (in my opinion, anyway) present itself as a 'faith based religion'. My impression of the group was that it offered an opportunity to accepted applicants to use proven magical techniques to explore the LHP as a First Degree member. There was no doctrine involved. It all seemed very much experimental, logical, rigorous, and demanding of self-honesty.

The biggest change I've noticed in the Setian DIR forum is the jargon-loaded language current members (as well as former members) use now to answer newbie questions. If you don't know the Setian lexicon, it reads as near-gibberish. To me, that suggests a group of believers rather than a group of experimenters and seekers. Even in my college physics class, we were always required to write papers explaining various Laws and Theories in plain English, as a demonstration that we understood what the symbols in a fomula meant, and weren't simply memorizing stuff from a text.

Now, when someone reacts questioningly -- or even mockingly -- to the flood of gibberish with a bunch of ????? the response seems often to be a call for the mods to delete threads and ban posters for 'debating'. I think that's why ktf started this thread here, where the discussion is already called a debate by default.

Yes, certain members (who shall be left nameless) of the Setian variety have been crying a lot lately, with a sensitivity that could rival any muslim exposed to a drawing of mohammed. I find it amusing.

That aside, I don't know that the ToS has ever been anything other than a faith based religion. I have discussed with aquino extensively at 600 club, both in the threads and via PM, and there is very little room for doubt that he, at the very least, is a believer of the first order. The foundational belief on which he founded the ToS is that he received a communication from set himself. If one rejects this premise, the rest quickly seems to fall away to dust.

ktf

Greetings All,

In response to Fnord: I never mentioned The Book of Coming Forth By Night. I do not have any questions regarding TBoCFBN. It is a document in a catagory of its own and Dr. Aquino has amply described this. The book I referenced is "Black Magic" which is not attributed to any other entity than Dr. Aquino and is an explaination of the ideas of the ToS. This document is sent to all I* Setians as part of the Crystal Tablet of Set. Many years ago when I was in the Temple they also sent TBoCFBN to the I*. Now it is widely available on-line. I will not repost my initial questions regarding "Black Magic", they are posted at the beginning of this thread if you are interested.
In the previous debate thread I tried my best to explain why this is an important issue to me. You can also find this explaination at the beginning of this thread. Please go and read it if you are interested in understanding where I am coming from. If it is still not clear I will attempt again if you ask. I also think Kori made a good point in expressing the idea that it is important to study and scrutinize 20th century occult Orders. Furthermore, I am interested in debating, discussing, and comparing religious and philosophical points of view. This is why I joined a forum that is formed for that very reason...why else would I be here? The reason I posted this in the debate section was accurately guessed at a few posts ago by Kori.

KHPR

Social Meritocratist
why else would I be here?

It seems more like you are trying to boost your cred by starting loaded arguments with members of the Priesthood of the ToS than to actually be thinking like a Setian. If you don't like us I have no problem with that, just leave it at that and stop trying to poke us with a sharp stick. We've had that done before and we've survived quite well.

Xeper,
Magister Robert Adams
Host, KHPR: The Voice of Darkness

ktf

Mr. Adams,

Please point to what I have posted in this, or other threads, that you interpret as "poking with a sharp stick". I have made one central post in this thread and my other posts have refered back to it. Perhaps you could venture a response to that initial post? I began the post sincerely explaining that I am not interested in bickering. I also expressed my admiration for Dr. Aquino and others in your religion. It is interesting that you chose to interpret a critque and criticsim through questions as being poked with a sharp stick.
I would also point out (again) that I am not a Setian or a setian and have no interest in learning how to think like a Setian or setian. I am a magician and a car mechanic who treads the LHP.

I've converted to Setianism so... I'm telling on you guys.

I'm sorry but this thread has to be closed. I just will not tolerate debating about ToS or our beloved Aquino, even in a debating forum! MODS! j/k

But I actually do understand that KTF's opinions in a public forum of setians/Setians can potentially change their minds and hurt business. For an institution like ToS that is growing increasingly irrelevant, this is just plain bad ;)

It's just not right to talk about how a meth addict and con artist passed the Temple Bar. Stanton once told us that Zeena did so much drugs with her ogre husband Shreck that she barely had any teeth left in her mouth.

To me - as an outsider - it seems that the more famous and well known or high status you are, the more excusable you "alleged" unlawful behavior is. Amarite or amarite? I like the business tactics. A name like Zeena LaVey will sell membership and attract members from the LaVey market, etc. Whereas a lowly commoner with a little police record just doesn't benefit the Temple.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Code:
I don't know that the ToS has ever been anything other than a faith based religion.

As one who has experienced the ToS from the inside, in my own personal experience it is not a faith based religion. All Setians are very individualistic, and have their own understandings. They are free to either accept or not accept Set as an objective reality which is determined by ones personal Xeper and Initiatory experiences. Some Setians view Set as a metaphor for the Powers of Darkness, the Higher Self, etc., while others come to a realization through their own Magical Work that Set is a very real, tangible Entity within themSelves and within the Universe without.

As for the Setian Priesthood III*+ I cannot elaborate.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\