• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LEDs causing more Light Pollution

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That link you referenced had nothing to do with LEDs but with light itself. It's well known that exposure to light with computers/tablets/cellphones before bed interferes with melatonin.

That has nothing to do with my sense of the spiritual.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
LED or even regular light bulb interferes with human spiritual perception and contributes to rise of atheism, imo. other types of pollutions, food air... too.

I have a different view: Atheism leads to an increase in spirituality, or at least the potential for that if one is curious and contemplative.

Christian dogma is antithetical to spirituality, since it separates man from the cosmos.

It tells us that the universe is made of base matter and is fit for apocalyptic destruction.

It depicts man as a failed species born spiritually sick and worthy of eternal torture absent divine forgiveness.

It describes our communities as something decadent, to remain apart from, and uses the phrase "the world" contemptuously.

It describes man as a soul trapped in flesh, "the flesh" being another term uttered with derision.

Many have told me that life has no meaning if there isn't a god and an afterlife, and that there is no reason not to go about berserking and wilding for sport without a god belief.

Isn't this the antithesis of authentic spirituality, which above all, emphasizes a sense of connection to our world and to one another accompanied by a sense of awe and mystery infused with gratitude? Christian doctrine redirects your attention to a time and place you'll likely never see, and casts man as an alien in his own world and body.

Where's the spirituality in that?

The knowledgeable and spiritual atheist looks up at the night sky and considers the flickering drop of starlight impinging upon his retina. He understands that this experience connects him to a monstrous ball of hydrogen that is unfathomly far away, which star may be gone now, even though its light continues to come to earth and the eyes on it for years more, and he gets weak in the knees at the thought.

He understands that the death of such stars was necessary for it to send its ashes light years away into the nebula that became our solar system, infusing it with the heavy elements that comprise our planet and ourselves, and a frisson passes down his spine in the moment.

From your link at fau.edu :
beyondIYA.jpg

These kinds of connections are the sine qua non of the spiritual experience, which has nothing to do with spirits. Believing in gods, angels, or ghosts doesn't make one spiritual. Nor does praying to them.

Admittedly, such experiences are not impossible for the Christian, but only if he doesn't take seriously the doctrine of every aspect of this world being damaged, and only if he doesn't live his life life he's at some kind of bus stop waiting to be pulled out of this world.

Last edited:

socharlie

That link you referenced had nothing to do with LEDs but with light itself. It's well known that exposure to light with computers/tablets/cellphones before bed interferes with melatonin.

That has nothing to do with my sense of the spiritual.
my understanding is that spiritual 'information' travels through vibrations it interacts with our brains via our CNS (Matt 6:22 The lamp of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.). This is just electro -chemical tie to real dimension - to the Kingdom. Using meditation one trains spiritual senses to connect with spirit world,. This is a part of Gnosis process.

socharlie

I have a different view: Atheism leads to an increase in spirituality, or at least the potential for that if one is curious and contemplative.

Christian dogma is antithetical to spirituality, since it separates man from the cosmos.

It tells us that the universe is made of base matter and is fit for apocalyptic

It depicts man as a failed species born spiritually sick and worthy of eternal torture absent divine forgiveness..

It describes our communities as something decadent and to remain apart from, and uses the phrase "the world" contemptuously.

It describes man as a souls trapped in flesh, "the flesh" being another term uttered with derision.

Many have told me that life has no meaning if there isn't a god and an afterlife, and that there is no reason not to go about berserking and wilding for sport without a god belief.

Isn't this the antithesis of authentic spirituality, which above all, emphasizes a sense of connectedness to our world and to one another accompanied by a sense of awe and mystery infused with gratitude? Christian doctrine redirects your attention to a time and place you'll likely never see, and casts man as an alien in his own world and body.

Where's the spirituality in that?

The knowledgeable and spiritual atheist looks up at the night sky and considers the flickering drop of starlight impinging upon his retina. He understands that this experience connects him to a monstrous ball of hydrogen that is unfathomly far away, which star may be gone now, even though its light continues to come to earth and the eyes on it for years more, and he gets weak in the knees at the thought.

He understands that the death of such stars was necessary for it to send its ashes light years away into the nebula that became our solar system, infusing it with the heavy elements that comprise our planet and ourselves, and a frisson passes down his spine in the moment.

From your link at fau.edu :
beyondIYA.jpg

These kinds of connections are the sine qua non of the spiritual experience, which has nothing to do with spirits. Believing in gods, angels, or ghosts doesn't make one spiritual. Nor does praying to them.

Admittedly, such experiences are not impossible for the Christian, but only if he doesn't take seriously the doctrine of every aspect of this world being damaged, and only if he doesn't live his life life he's at some kind of bus stop waiting to be pulled out of this world.
I see spirituality coming from existing reality, it has many forms and manifestations. It kind of reminds me movie "What dreams may come".

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I don't like LED headlights. They are too far into the blue spectrum, so they hurt more. If they were a little less white and a little more towards the yellow or green portion of the spectrum that would be a good thing.

They are not good to drive with either, like LED flashlights, they are great for blinding people, but the short wavelength doesn't reflect well, you can see much better with warm/long waves,

just as high pitch/ short wavelength sound is piercing at it's source, but doesn't carry well

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They are not good to drive with either, like LED flashlights, they are great for blinding people, but the short wavelength doesn't reflect well, you can see much better with warm/long waves,

just as high pitch/ short wavelength sound is piercing at it's source, but doesn't carry well
LEDs come in different color temperatures.
As with all lights, one must control brightness & direction.

Cooky

Veteran Member
All I know, is that in San Diego they have yellow street lights to combat "light pollution"... But because they're too dim I've driven on the wrong side of the road twice, accidentally drove on the train tracks once, and nearly hit an elderly lady crossing the street in a wheelchair.

Here in Los Angeles and OC, we have a lot of LED steetlights. Here I can see fine -no yellow lights to worry about.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All I know, us that in San Diego they have yellow street lights to combat "light pollution"... But because they're too dim I've driven on the wrong side of the road twice, accidentally drove on the train tracks once, and nearly hit an elderly lady crossing the street in a wheelchair.

Here in Los Angeles and OC, we have a lot if LED steetlights. Here I can see fine -no yellow lights here.
The really yellow lights are old school energy efficiency, ie, low pressure sodium.
They had the worst color rendition of any bulb out there....everything was yellow
or dark yellow. LEDs are way better.
The only advantage to low pressure sodium lights was breaking them open &
putting the sodium in water.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I liked light yellow LEDs, but my family likes the white. My son over does it. And when he does that, I can't even stay in that room. Heat and light. Horrible.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
because they're too dim I've driven on the wrong side of the road twice, accidentally drove on the train tracks once, and nearly hit an elderly lady crossing the street in a wheelchair.
I'd blame the lighting too, if I were you.

Because otherwise the problem might be you.
Tom

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't like LED headlights. They are too far into the blue spectrum, so they hurt more. If they were a little less white and a little more towards the yellow or green portion of the spectrum that would be a good thing.

LEDs come in a range of colour values, warm white (more into yellow than blue) flashlights are available.

If you want to chose a warm white select one marked between 2700 to 3300k.

Cool white will be marked around 4000k, they provide a clearer light that "appears" brighter.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Its probably not a huge priority in terms of our environmental awareness, but its none the less still interesting to see just how quickly changes in our behaviour are visible even from space.

Source: Astronauts found something troubling in these shots from space

Any Thoughts?

Hello. Like a lot of light pollution, the problem is often due to the design of the light fixture. If properly shielded, focusing the light downward (where, after all, it is needed), much of this problem could be eliminated.

Here is a great organization working to reduce light pollution:

International Dark-Sky Association | IDA | Light Pollution