• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LEDs causing more Light Pollution

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Economic and effective lights are a real breakthrough towards eco-energy apps.

And our best telescopes are not affected.

I think that LEDs are the future, honestly.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't like LED headlights. They are too far into the blue spectrum, so they hurt more. If they were a little less white and a little more towards the yellow or green portion of the spectrum that would be a good thing.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't like LED headlights. They are too far into the blue spectrum, so they hurt more. If they were a little less white and a little more towards the yellow or green portion of the spectrum that would be a good thing.
Yes.......
The very worst headlights can be some bicycle headlights which are not always focused to the correct depression and really do blind oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

But tail and stop LEDs are just amnazing and must surely be reducing 'rear-end' crashes.

I am still amazed at the brilliance of a modern pocket torch, and how long a battery can last. There just doesn't seem to be much point in bothering with AA and AAA rechargeable batteries now.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I noticed a month ago, when they replaced one of the streetlamps that it was quite a bit brighter. It's obviously LED and white light. There's still some older lamps around, so you have a side-by-side comparison.

Honestly though, there's downsides to pretty much everything... We have to pick whatever we think is best, until there's something better.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Any Thoughts?
It doesn't surprise me. They are very bright. For the past few years I've joked that this Amish family has the brightest light in the county, because at night you can see this LED light coming out of the dinning room (it's what it looks like, anyways), and clearly see everything in that room as you drive by. It's mind boggling just how bright they can get.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
LED lights make good flashlights but for general lighting or headlights they are too bright.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its probably not a huge priority in terms of our environmental awareness, but its none the less still interesting to see just how quickly changes in our behaviour are visible even from space.

Source: Astronauts found something troubling in these shots from space

Any Thoughts?

What's troubling there? That the stars are harder to see from the city, or that amateur astronomers there see less? Most professional telescopes are far from cities or in space, and would be largely unaffected by light pollution in cities. The rest seems relatively unimportant,

I found it encouraging to see how much of the world is making progress in energy efficiency. Those lights might still be mostly powered by electricity derived from fossil fuels, but it's still a step in the right direction.

socharlie

It does interfere with astronomy and it's too bad but we have a gigantic list of things needing to be dealt with right now.
LED or even regular light bulb interferes with human spiritual perception and contributes to rise of atheism, imo. other types of pollutions, food air... too.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member