• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lectio Divina (11/11/19)

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
  1. Lectio: Matthew 13:34-35 (focus on the latter part of verse 35)
  2. Meditatio: God speaks in ways that can be confused if not understood rightly. God is a spirit and speaks from an eternal perspective... God speaks to us, and to the whole of creation... God's story is misunderstood... God knows and reveals all secrets, but not to everyone. Only to those who seek him... Revelation is not obvious, but hidden... God's creation hides his glory in beauty...
  3. Contemplatio: I feel like God is saying to me that my perspective isn't as spiritual as it should be. I lack commitment to the path. I blame God for things that are not his fault. I must see all things as spiritual. Then I will be able to do real theology.
  4. Oratio: (Private prayer)

Anybody else do this?

pearl

Lectio Divina is the most traditional way of cultivating friendship with Christ. It is a way of listening to the texts of scripture as if we were in conversation with Christ and he were suggesting the topics of conversation. The daily encounter with Christ and reflection on his word leads beyond mere acquaintanceship to an attitude of friendship, trust and love. Conversation simplifies and gives way to communing, "resting in God."
Contemplative Prayer is the normal development of the grace of baptism and the regular practice of Lectio Divina. We may think of prayer as thoughts or feelings expressed in words. But this is only one expression. Contemplative Prayer is the opening of mind and heart - our whole being - to God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words and emotions. We open our awareness to God whom we know by faith is within us, closer than breathing, closer than thinking, closer than choosing - closer than consciousness itself. Contemplative Prayer is a process of interior purification leading, if we consent, to divine union. Both take much practice and I find helpful to begin with a Centering prayer which is a method designed to facilitate the development of contemplative prayer by preparing our faculties to cooperate with this gift. It is an attempt to present the teaching of earlier time (as in The Cloud of Unknowing) in an updated form and to put a certain order and regularity into it. It is not meant to replace other kinds of prayer; it simply puts other kinds of prayer into a new and fuller perspective. During the time of prayer we consent to God's presence and action within. At other times our attention moves outward to discover God's presence everywhere.