• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving the EU : Practical Benefits

exchemist

Veteran Member
You should try English sausages and pork pies. I dread to think what goes in them.
Lorra lorra nitrites. :D

There are also nitrites in saucisson sec and salami, mind you. But my understanding is the potential for forming nitrosamines, which are the real bad actors in this story, is increased by cooking processed meat with nitrite content. So that's the bacon and sausages, mainly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You've persuaded me!
source.gif

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I'm still waiting to see a tangible benefit from Brexit.
Despite all the "Little Britain" Brexit bull****, I still feel like a European. Technically I'm still part of the EU because I have an Irish passport, but I do find the whole Brexit fiasco mildly depressing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm still waiting to see a tangible benefit from Brexit.
Despite all the "Little Britain" Brexit bull****, I still feel like a European. Technically I'm still part of the EU because I have an Irish passport, but I do find the whole Brexit fiasco mildly depressing.
Yeah, I know. "We've had enough of exports!" :rolleyes:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Is the way that the UK has managed the vaccine roll out (in comparison to the EU) a benefit of Brexit?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is the way that the UK has managed the vaccine roll out (in comparison to the EU) a benefit of Brexit?
Not strictly, no. Even as EU members, health policy remains a national responsibility. (Just like the colour of the passports.;))

It just happens that the EU members decided to go for joint procurement of the vaccines, reasoning that with common open borders there was no point in a nation by nation approach. But it has backfired rather, since the joint procurement seems to have been done too much in a standard procedural way, presumably to avoid complaints from any of the member states about shortcuts in the process. If the UK had still been a member we could - and perhaps might- have opted out of such an initiative, on the basis that we are an island and not in the Schengen system.

But one could argue that the EU is at a natural disadvantage compared to a nation state on something like this, as its central institutions don't (yet) have the authority, on health policy, to set a course of action, overrule any complaints and just get on with it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Boris started the rollout before medical approval giving the UK several weeks head start on rhe rest of Europe. A gamble with people's lives but it seems to have paid off in the number of vaccinations.

Other management of Covid thought appears to be a complete failure

Yerda

Veteran Member
Not strictly, no. Even as EU members, health policy remains a national responsibility. (Just like the colour of the passports.;))

It just happens that the EU members decided to go for joint procurement of the vaccines, reasoning that with common open borders there was no point in a nation by nation approach. But it has backfired rather, since the joint procurement seems to have been done too much in a standard procedural way, presumably to avoid complaints from any of the member states about shortcuts in the process. If the UK had still been a member we could - and perhaps might- have opted out of such an initiative, on the basis that we are an island and not in the Schengen system.

But one could argue that the EU is at a natural disadvantage compared to a nation state on something like this, as its central institutions don't (yet) have the authority, on health policy, to set a course of action, overrule any complaints and just get on with it.

Boris started the rollout before medical approval giving the UK several weeks head start on rhe rest of Europe. A gamble with people's lives but it seems to have paid off in the number of vaccinations.

Other management of Covid thought appears to be a complete failure
Ok. I'm not actually up to speed on the hows-and-whys of the vaccine. I had heard former Greek finance minister Varoufakis talking about it the other day and he was quite firmly of the opinion that the EU has ballsed it right up and the UK was able to move quicker because it was out of the EU. Maybe we could give the Brexit folk this win, they've had a fair few losses and more on the horizon.

I agree that the UK handling of the pandemic has been awful. When the reciepts come in it's looking like we'll have done worse than almost every other country.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ok. I'm not actually up to speed on the hows-and-whys of the vaccine. I had heard former Greek finance minister Varoufakis talking about it the other day and he was quite firmly of the opinion that the EU has ballsed it right up and the UK was able to move quicker because it was out of the EU. Maybe we could give the Brexit folk this win, they've had a fair few losses and more on the horizon.

I agree that the UK handling of the pandemic has been awful. When the reciepts come in it's looking like we'll have done worse than almost every other country.

As i said, the UK jumped the gun on approval for use.

Nothing to do with brexit but makes good hype for the gullible

exchemist

Veteran Member

Well Verroucaface has made his name by being an enfant terrible, and he has personal reasons for hating the EU, so I take him with a pinch of salt.;)

The EU has certainly ballsed it up, and I've tried to indicate the reasons why they may have done. But no country was compelled by virtue of membership to go with the joint procurement initiative. Health remains a national competence, not an EU one.

I don't feel much inclined to give the Brexs*itters this one, as spreading lies about the UK supposedly being constrained by the EU in various ways has been a major part of their stock in trade (cf. the colour of passports, "Global Britain", etc).