• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving the EU : Practical Benefits

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I can't read other people's thoughts, but speaking for me personally, I find Kurz's foreign policy within the EU to be destructive, short-sighted, and generally execrable.

I do believe South Tyrol should be given back to Austria. I think Austrians would be nicer to us, after that.

Tambourine

I do believe South Tyrol should be given back to Austria. I think Austrians would be nicer to us, after that.
The people of South Tyrol are neither slaves nor objects, and as such cannot be "taken" or "given".
It is they alone who are - and should be - able to decide their fate.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As I said, the Italian taxpayers are free to pay for any amount of referenda they like.
In my opinion it is not normal to have a province where Italians are a minority. And are looked down upon by Germans.
So...the sooner, the better.

Tambourine

I speak of the present.
If we speak of history, we should also speak of when Austria owned Northern Italy.
In the present, most Italians I met seemed to be fine with South Tyrol being allowed to live autonomously and practice their own language and customs.

And it was never Austrians who owned Northern Italy, that was the Habsburg family. Austrians as a distinct nationality were invented somewhere between the end of WW1 and the end of WW2.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In the present, most Italians I met seemed to be fine with South Tyrol being allowed to live autonomously and practice their own language and customs. And it was never Austrians who owned Northern Italy, that was the Habsburg family.
Yes. But Italians' stance is irrelevant because they are a minority.
That said, since the topic here is the EU, this EU should be different. It seems like there are these powerful technocrats that are much more powerful than the countries themselves and decide for them.
This is what made the UK run.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That said, since the topic here is the EU, this EU should be different. It seems like there are these powerful technocrats that are much more powerful than the countries themselves and decide for them.
This is what made the UK run.

Nope, what made england and wales (note NI and Scotland voted not to leave) was racism, xenophobia, and lying right-wing media making **** up and blaming it on the EU.

Mention any of that now and it is completely ignored. Yet still racist crime in england and wales has doubled since the brexit vote

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Nope, what made england and wales (note NI and Scotland voted not to leave) was racism, xenophobia, and lying right-wing media making **** up and blaming it on the EU.

Mention any of that now and it is completely ignored. Yet still racist crime in england and wales has doubled since the brexit vote

Did you know that the EU drafted a Convention, the Faro Convention that will force Italy to cover nude paintings and nude statues...since they offend "certain cultures"?

This EU sides with Non-Europeans...a priori.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Did you know that the EU drafted a Convention, the Faro Convention that will force Italy to cover nude paintings and nude statues...since they offend "certain cultures"?

This EU sides with Non-Europeans...a priori.

The Faro Convention or the Council of Europe Framework Convention on the Value of Cultural Heritage for Society is a multilateral Council of Europe treaty whereby states agree to protect cultural heritage and the rights of citizens to access and participate in that heritage.​

I think you are being fed the same pap that was fed to britain prior to brexit

Save our sausages in the UK

Save our art in Italy.

When the danger is all in the mind of right wing hypocrits

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Faro Convention or the Council of Europe Framework Convention on the Value of Cultural Heritage for Society is a multilateral Council of Europe treaty whereby states agree to protect cultural heritage and the rights of citizens to access and participate in that heritage.​

I think you are being fed the same pap that was fed to britain prior to brexit

Save our sausages in the UK

Save our art in Italy.

When the danger is all in the mind of right wing hypocrits
It means we don't have to cover our statues?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Picture January.
The transition period has ended.
Kent is full of lorries.
The pandemic continues.
Johnson, Cummings and the rest are still the government.

What has this country become? What do we do to change this omnishambles?

Tambourine

Italians are not a minority in Italy.

If you are unhappy with how your elected officials are acting inside EU institutions, you are free to vote them out of office like everyone else. And if your voice is not the majority, then, well, perhaps you should consider that the Volkswille of the Italian people is not in fact identical to your racist fantasies.