• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving the EU : Practical Benefits

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Simple question: What are the practical benefits that come from leaving the European Union?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Decentralisation and increased democratic accountability.

[Longer term hunch: A headstart before the rest of it collapses]
If the EU were to collapse, the UK would be severely affected and would get dragged in as history warns us from previous times of trouble on the Continent. The EU was created to stop that repeating itself. Leaving the EU does not insulate us, though it gives us less opportunity to prevent a collapse, certainly.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm not sure there are any positives - gave up long ago in being that interested - but being part of one of the largest trading blocs would seem to be better for us than being out on a limb and beholden to whoever can pay the least (and get the most from us). Not trading with our nearest neighbours on favourable terms as opposed to sourcing much of our needs from far away seems just as ludicrous. What happened to the concept of air (or sea) miles? We will lose out on scientific and technological cooperation and instead be reliant on other more powerful nations probably, if we don't go the more expensive route of doing it all for ourselves. :oops:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Simple question: What are the practical benefits that come from leaving the European Union?
I am Swiss, so I am not feeling any problems from not being part of the EU.
However, we accepted the free circulation of people and wares. Ergo, if someone left the EU with the hope to have control of who enters their country and who not, then they are deluding themselves, if they think they can still be prosperous.

Ciao

- viole

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
How will I reap the benefit of that.
What will I be able to do next year that I couldn't do as a member of the EU because of 'sovereignty'?
Btw....there are so many EU countries you could choose to move to instead. They say Bordeaux is a lovely city. Excellent wines.:);)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Unable to answer the question??
Why is when you drill down into Brexiteer's claims they are inevitably meaningless

And in fact the real question is: what is the thing a British citizen is not allowed to do in the EU any more ...after Brexit?
And the answer is: Absolutely nothing.
He can do the exact same things as before.

Tambourine

And in fact the real question is: what is the thing a British citizen is not allowed to do in the EU any more ...after Brexit?
  • Travel without passport
  • Import goods without customs restrictions
  • Live and work in any EU country without restrictions
  • Study in any EU country, and have their academic grades instantly recognized anywhere within the EU
That's completely wrong. Unless the UK negotiates far reaching privileges for its citizens, they will be treated like any other non-EU citizen without special status. Which means that they need to acquire permits to live, work or study in an EU country, and cannot travel within the EU without a passport.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Once again you fail to answer my question - instead you set me a question.

Well I'm not a Brexiteer so I'll answer...

1. Unfettered access to the largest trade block in the world

2. Free trade deals with countries around the world, including Japan, Canada and South Korea

3. Just-in-time manufacturing, the kind that supports millions of jobs in the automotive, aerospace and other industries

4. A wide-open border between Northern Ireland and Ireland, with no customs or other checks between NI and the rest of the UK

5. Support for the Good Friday Agreement & active promotion of the Irish peace process including PEACE funding (over EUR 1.5 billion to NI from 1995-2020)

6. The freedom for UK citizens to travel, work, study and retire anywhere in the EU

7. The freedom for EU citizens to travel, work, study and retire in the UK

8. Scientific and academic collaboration

9. Shared space exploration

10. Participation in Galileo GPS satellite cluster

11. Driving licenses valid all over the EU

12. Car insurance valid all over the EU

13. Pet passports that make travel with pets easy

14. Simple fixed compensation scheme for flight delays & cancellations thanks to EU Air Passenger Rights.

15. European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

16. Mobile roaming (calls, texts and data) at home prices

17. Longest unbroken peace in Europe (outside civil wars) for over a thousand years

18. Portable streaming services (can watch Netflix etc. all over the EU)

19. Erasmus student exchange programme

20. Simplified VAT reverse charge mechanism for those selling across the EU

21. Enhanced consumer protection, including for cross-border shopping

22. Horizon 2020 (funding for over 10,000 research projects in the UK as part of world's largest multinational research programme.)

23. Training courses for the unemployed funded by the European Social Fund

24. Disaster relief funding e.g. the 60 million euro we received for flood relief in 2017

25. Free movement for musicians and their instruments, bands and their equipment, artists and their materials etc.

26. Enhanced environmental protections

27. Court of last resort (ECJ)

28. REACH regulations & EU Chemicals Agency, improving human, animal & environmental safety around chemicals

29. Safer medicines thanks to pan-EU testing regime

30. Security cooperation and sharing of crime/terrorist databases

31. Participation in the European arrest warrant programme

32. EURATOM for medical isotopes

33. Support for rural areas ignored by successive UK Governments

34. Better food labelling

35. EU funding for the British film industry, theatre and music

36. European Capital of Culture programme, which has boosted cities such as Glasgow and Liverpool

37. Service providers (e.g. freelance translators) can offer their services to clients all over the EU

38. No UK VAT or duty on imports from the EU (great for online shopping

39. EU citizenship (it's a real thing with real benefits - look it up!)

40. Cross-border collaboration on taxes, to hold huge firms like Amazon and Facebook to account more than we otherwise could.

41. Venture capital funding and start-up loans

42. Legal protection for minority languages such as Welsh

43. Mutual recognition of academic qualifications

44. Legal protection for foods of geographic origin, e.g. Melton Mowbray pork pies

45. No credit and debit card surcharges

46. EU structural funding (eg. £2 billion to Liverpool) with matched private funding requirement

47. Supporting and encouraging democracy in post-communist countries

48. A bigger, stronger presence on the world stage

49. Use of EU queues at ports and airports

50. Products made or grown in the UK can be sold in 31 countries without type approval, customs duties, phytosanitary certificates etc.

51. Protection from GM food and chlorinated chicken

52. Objective 1 funding for deprived areas and regions

53. Financial services passport, enabling firms in the City to service the whole EU market

54. Strong intellectual property protections

55. University education in other EU countries at "home student" rates (many still have free universities.)

56. Mutual recognition of professional qualifications

57. Consular protection from any EU embassy outside the EU

58. Baseline of worker protections (which we can also improve on)

59. Keep open the EU market to which we send more than half the fish we catch

60. Enhanced medical research prospects

61. A friend to cosy up to against the might of the USA and China

62. Seasonal workforce to pick our fruit and vegetables

63. A vital source of medicines (we import 37 million packs a month from the EU)

64. Minimum 2 year guarantee on all products

65. Protection against unfair treatment in the workplace thanks to the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights

66. Minimum of 4 weeks paid leave (introduced by EU in 1993, taken up by the UK in 1998 and later extended to 28 days in 2009)

67. More influence on environmental measures that transcend borders (we get to help shape the policies that 28 countries must follow)

68. A say in the running of the EU (if we were outside, the rest of the EU would carry on but we would have zero influence over its policies)

69. Cleaner air thanks to the EU Air Quality Directive

70. Legally enforced 14 day cooling off period on timeshare agreements

71. Some of the highest toy safety standards in the world

72. Protection of 500 bird species under legislation dating back to 1979, and amended in 2009

73. Safer food

74. Clean beaches

75. Pan-EU institutions (e.g. food, chemicals etc.) save money by doing away for the need for equivalent domestic institutions

I await your answer Estro .....