• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving Islam

eggyolk

What is the punishment for leaving Islam according to the Quran and Haddith?

I know it's death for set fourth by many muslim controlled governments but is this part of Islam? If you want to convert/change to anything else, is killing the accept solution or is there a formal process to leave Islam?

If it isn't there, why is the conclusion death my muslim governments?

Apostasy is considered a crime and I am trying to figure out why it is such a big deal.

Last edited:

Union

What is the punishment for leaving Islam according to the Quran and Haddith?

I know it's death for set fourth by many muslim controlled governments but is this part of Islam? If you want to convert/change to anything else, is killing the accept solution or is there a formal process to leave Islam?

If it isn't there, why is the conclusion death my muslim governments?

Apostasy is considered a crime and I am trying to figure out why it is such a big deal.

According to Qur'an , a human has a complete freedom to choose any religion s/he wants . Hence there is no punishment prescribed for leaving Islam , as prescribed in Qur'an by ALLAH (swt) .

On the other hand Hadith writers decreed penalty to death for leaving Islam .

This incurs oneself to dare to learn and understand Qur'an Islam offered by ALLAH (swt) vs. Hadith Islam created by Shia and Sunni Imams .

For ref. please hit : Rules of apostatsy in Qur'an : don't kill them

Last edited:

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Qur'an Islam offered by ALLAH (swt) vs. Hadith Islam created by Shia and Sunni Imams .

There is only one Islam that is brought by Allah through the prophet ...
the prophet explained Islam by the Quran and the Hadith...

Taking the Quran out of its context is a complete chaos; to say the least.

The ruling on leaving Islam is different if one was born-Muslim that if he is a convert...
Also, a female born-Muslim will have a different ruling when leaving Islam that a male born-Muslim

a male born-Muslim will face death penalty as a punishment for leaving the true religion of Islam...

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
Also, a female born-Muslim will have a different ruling when leaving Islam that a male born-Muslim

a male born-Muslim will face death penalty as a punishment for leaving the true religion of Islam...

Isn't it both male and female?:
قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ مَنْ بَدَّلَ دِينَهُ فَاقْتُلُوهُ ‏"‏‏

Union

There is only one Islam that is brought by Allah through the prophet ...
the prophet explained Islam by the Quran and the Hadith...

Taking the Quran out of its context is a complete chaos; to say the least.

The ruling on leaving Islam is different if one was born-Muslim that if he is a convert...

Evidence from Qur'an please .

Shia Islam

Premium Member
Isn't it both male and female?:
قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ مَنْ بَدَّلَ دِينَهُ فَاقْتُلُوهُ ‏"‏‏

There are many Hadith among both the Shia and the Sunnis saying that the ruling of death to apostates is a punishement fot only male Muslim-born apostate.

The Hadith you quote does not contradict the hadiths I am talking about...

Abu Hanifa and his followers refused the death penalty for female apostates, supporting imprisonment until they re-embrace Islam. Hanafi scholars maintain that a female apostate should not be killed because it was forbidden to kill women by the Islamic prophet Muhammad, and because women are unlikely to take up arms and endanger the community.

Apostasy in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shia Islam

Premium Member
Evidence from Qur'an please .

The original verdict is given in this verse:

There is no compulsion in religion...

... لا اكراه في الدين
سورة البقرة - سورة 2 - آية 256​

It seems that the punishment is not for changing one's belief, but for engaging in a kind of anti Islam war by announcing the apostasy...and in Islam it is not lawful to kill women in wars...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems that the punishment is not for changing one's belief, but for engaging in a kind of anti Islam war by announcing the apostasy...and in Islam it is not lawful to kill women in wars...

How does announcing apostasy from Islam relate to engaging in that kind of anti Islam war, if at all?

Shia Islam

Premium Member
How does announcing apostasy from Islam relate to engaging in that kind of anti Islam war, if at all?

Islam is not a mere set of beliefs.
It has a state, in which the laws and the way of life are based on it.
The leader of the Islamic state is appointed by Islam...

Thus, Islam has its political and other-kinds of enemies...

Taking this in mind...

Any Muslim has the right to discuss any religious question ...
Christians and Jews can live in the Islamic state and have their rights...

Nobody will question any Muslim about his beliefs ...

The question is what is motivating an apostate to openly announce his apostasy?!

Taking what I mentioned at the beginning of this post in mind- this announcement is nothing but a declaration of dissention and rebellion against the system which the society has agreed upon...

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
...apostasy is the clear repudiation of a faith by a person who formerly held it. Doctrinal differences, however grave, cannot be deemed to be apostasy. The Punishment for Apostasy lies in the hand of God Almighty, against whom the offence has been committed. Apostasy which is not aggravated by some other crime is not punishable in this world. This is the teaching of God. This was the teaching of the Holy Prophetsa. This is the view confirmed by Hanafi jurists,26 Fateh al-Kadeer27 Chalpi,28 Hafiz ibn Qayyim, Ibrahim Nakhai, Sufyan Thauri and many others...
Source:https://www.alislam.org/library/books/mna/chapter_7.html

and also

https://www.alislam.org/books/apostacy/

Union

Hilarious indeed . How Islam (Shia/Sunni version in this case) becomes the greatest religious if it doesn't accept someone's freedom of choice .:confused:

Again in Qur'an GOD , the Almighty gave a complete freedom to a person to choose his/her religion- no force , no punishment mentioned .

[2:256] There shall be no compulsion in religion: the right way is now distinct from the wrong way. Anyone who denounces the devil and believes in GOD has grasped the strongest bond; one that never breaks. GOD is Hearer, Omniscient.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Islam is not a mere set of beliefs.
It has a state, in which the laws and the way of life are based on it.
The leader of the Islamic state is appointed by Islam...

Isn't that more of a goal than an actual present reality?

What would a list of current Islamic states be like?

Thus, Islam has its political and other-kinds of enemies...

Taking this in mind...

Any Muslim has the right to discuss any religious question ...
Christians and Jews can live in the Islamic state and have their rights...

Nobody will question any Muslim about his beliefs ...

The question is what is motivating an apostate to openly announce his apostasy?!

So you believe that you know? What would it be then?

Taking what I mentioned at the beginning of this post in mind- this announcement is nothing but a declaration of dissention and rebellion against the system which the society has agreed upon...

And that would be considered an act of war against Islam? I ask because you seem to be presenting it as such.

Union

Qur'an prescribes absolute freedom of choice :

[010:099] If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe!

[027:092] And to rehearse the Quran: and if any accept guidance, they do it for the good of their own souls, and if any stray, say: "I am only a Warner".

[010:108] Say: "O ye men! Now Truth hath reached you from your Lord! those who receive guidance, do so for the good of their own souls; those who stray, do so to their own loss: and I am not (set) over you to arrange your affairs."

[042:006] And those who take as protectors others besides Him,- God doth watch over them; and thou art not the disposer of their affairs.

[002:256] Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in God hath grasped the most trustworthy hand- hold, that never breaks. And God heareth and knoweth all things.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Union, you have misunderstood verse 256 of chapter 2.

There is no compulsion upon a man who is not a Muslim, but one someone becomes a Muslim they must adhere to the teachings of Islam or face consequences.

If a non-Muslim commits adultery then the Islamic punishment doesn't apply to them, but if a Muslim commits it they are to be punished (lets just say the punishment if only flogging 100 times). But if you apply to this case of adultery that same verse, that means Allah has contradicted himself by allowing people to do as they please on one hand and then punishing them for adultery on the other. You have misunderstood the verse. We all know Rashid Khalifah was not a scholars so if he misunderstood it, it is clear that you have too.

Union

Union, you have misunderstood verse 256 of chapter 2.

There is no compulsion upon a man who is not a Muslim, but one someone becomes a Muslim they must adhere to the teachings of Islam or face consequences.

If a non-Muslim commits adultery then the Islamic punishment doesn't apply to them, but if a Muslim commits it they are to be punished (lets just say the punishment if only flogging 100 times). But if you apply to this case of adultery that same verse, that means Allah has contradicted himself by allowing people to do as they please on one hand and then punishing them for adultery on the other. You have misunderstood the verse. We all know Rashid Khalifah was not a scholars so if he misunderstood it, it is clear that you have too.

Show evidence from Qur'an that a if a Muslim wants to desert Isllam , s/he must be punished .

And 2.256 is talking about no compulsion in religion , meaning anybody is free to accept/reject any religion s/he wants, including Islam .

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
for my simple opinion , it's was a temperor case .

for many reasons it's was required to eliminate who leave Islam.

this maybe good reason :

1- because the muslims were defend for them-selfs for the attacks of Mushrikin .

so who leave Islam in that time ,it's becomes an enemie automaticly .in that war time.

Allah knows best .

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Show evidence from Qur'an that a if a Muslim wants to desert Isllam , s/he must be punished .

And 2.256 is talking about no compulsion in religion , meaning anybody is free to accept/reject any religion s/he wants, including Islam .

I am not getting involved in the case of apostasy.

I was merely addressing you on your misunderstanding of the verse.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
for my simple opinion , it's was a temperor case .

for many reasons it's was required to eliminate who leave Islam.

this maybe good reason :

1- because the muslims were defend for them-selfs for the attacks of Mushrikin .

so who leave Islam in that time ,it's becomes an enemie automaticly .in that war time.

Allah knows best .

It's best to read the opinion of scholars who have spent their lives studying Islam instead of stating your own opinion brother.

I do not mean to say that I can have an opinion and you can't, I am just saying we should respect the scholars, they are the experts. I can post links to the explanation I gave to Union about verse 256 from Bakarah. It is how scholars explain it.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
To a Muslim the only thing that is relevant is the teachings of authentic Islamic sources, the Quran, the Sunnah, and the Hadith in that order. The Holy Quran has clearly stated that there is "no compulsion in religion". Let me make this clear for those Muslims who have abandoned reasoning at the feet of their Scholars.

Premise 1: Islam is a religion.
Holy Quran: "Surely, the true religion with Allah is Islam." (3:20)
Premise 2: There is no compulsion in religion.
Holy Quran: "There should be no compulsion in religion." (2:257)
Conclusion: Since there is no compulsion in religion and Islam is a religion, there cannot be compulsion in Islam!

Definition of Compulsion: "the action or state of forcing or being forced to do something; constraint."

Since there is no compulsion in Religion one cannot be forced to stay within that religion. They cannot be forced to remain Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Sikh, Hindu or for that matter any religion if they choose to apostate.

This is a logically sound deductive argument, which means the truth of the premise guarantees the truth of the conclusion. Just to prove that I am not putting the verse out of context here is the complete verse:

[2:257] There should be no compulsion in religion. Surely, right has become distinct from wrong; so whosoever refuses to be led by those who transgress, and believes in Allah, has surely grasped a strong handle which knows no breaking. And Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.

Islam is such a beautiful religion it has nothing to fear. It has a return policy, if you don't like it then feel free to leave. Islam has nothing to lose if you change your religion. I have spent extensive time researching this topic, I have established that the Holy Quran is crystal clear that there is no punishment for apostasy, in fact it clear states that one can apostate and remain alive:

[4:138] Those who believe, then disbelieve, then again believe, then disbelieve, and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never forgive them nor will He guide them to the way.

If the punishment for apostasy was death then once a person goes from belief to disbelief he/she would be put to death. They wouldn't be able to believe again. But this verse clearly shows it is possible! Moreover the Holy Quran has asked these people will they try to raise above God and enforce belief when Allah (SWT) does not:

[10:100] And if thy Lord had enforced His will, surely, all who are on the earth would have believed together. Wilt thou, then, force men to become believers?

The arguments don't end here, I can keep going but since my conclusion is already reached it should sufficient for those whose hearts pursue truth. I know what comes after this, posting of Hadiths without having any context of them. There are all addressed in this conclusive book, Apostasy in Islam, leaving a follower of truth no reason to believe in punishment of death for apostasy in Islam.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
@ Rational Mind

Where does the Qur'an say that there is no punishment for apostasy?

The verse you quoted says the following, (pay attention to the bold area):
[2:257] There should be no compulsion in religion. Surely, right has become distinct from wrong; so whosoever refuses to be led by those who transgress, and believes in Allah, has surely grasped a strong handle which knows no breaking. And Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.

There is no breaking from the handle/rope of Allah. Guess what that means.

As for [4:138], I have not read much on it. No comment.

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
that the Messenger of Allah said: "Whoever says (something) about the Qur'an without knowledge, then let him take his seat in the Fire."
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 44, Hadith 2950
Arabic reference : Book 47, Hadith 3204

Narrated Jundab bin 'Abdullah:
that the Messenger of Allah said: "Whoever says (something) about the Qur'an according to his own opinion and he is correct, yet he has committed a mistake."
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 44, Hadith 2952
Arabic reference : Book 47, Hadith 3206

The last verse confirms the view which I have expressed concerning verse 256, we are not allowed to force people to become Muslims, but once they do become they have laws to abide by otherwise they face punishment. (this is the opinion of scholars which I have accepted)