• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least Important School Subject

Which is the LEAST important of the "core" school courses?

• Total voters

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Now for a tougher question. :)

Of the four "core" school courses:

1. Science
2. Math
3. Social Studies
4. Language Arts

Which one is the LEAST important?

(Note: I've intentionally left "Equally important" off of the poll.)

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:
No! Health/fitness is very important and seriously neglected at school.

I say Math, hands down.

I think that they're all important.

We need more art and music, however. It does seem that sports receive much more funding and attention than they deserve. We should just make the role of sports clear - so that we can fight in wars - and just have low budget boxing, 'track,' and fencing.

Faint

angellous_evangellous said:
I think that they're all important.
In a sense, yes. I'm of the opinion that too much classtime is wasted on specialized mathmatics...math subjects that most of us forget after the tests are over, and never use again in our lives. Any Math beyond the basics should be either electives or strictly degree requirements for people in fields who will actually use said mathmatics in their jobs. Engineers. Scientists. Staticians, etc. I person (like me) who's more interested in art/writing/music does not need college algebra. Like most people, I have access to calculators and MS Excel.

YamiB.

I would say that gym is the least needed and should not be a required class beyond the elementary or at most middle school level. I think it could perhaps be a good idea to keep it around as an elective where people can get excersice that the don't have time for otherwise, but it should not be a required class.

I have to agree that besides that it would probably go to math because it quickly gets to the point that for most people it serves no purpose other than passing math class.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
As others have said it depends on the profession you plan on pursuing. As an interior design major, I needed more math than science. And now as jewelry designer...math is still more important than science. Just depends on your intentions for later.

Faint

YamiB. said:
I would say that gym is the least needed and should not be a required class beyond the elementary or at most middle school level. I think it could perhaps be a good idea to keep it around as an elective where people can get excersice that the don't have time for otherwise, but it should not be a required class.

I have to agree that besides that it would probably go to math because it quickly gets to the point that for most people it serves no purpose other than passing math class.
Hmm...maybe I see gym as important because most people I know of do not take the time to keep themselves in shape as they should. My gym classes were completely inadequate...the instructor took role and then let us go do what we wanted...which meant most people did nothing. Some guys played ball, but most just sat around, or maybe watched the girls gym class. I would advocate the opposite of what you said...gym required beginning in junior high (as there is no more recess, and that seems to be when teens start getting lazier and more comfortable in their "sit on my @$$" routines).

Why do you not think gym is needed? Would you disagree that physical fitness is important throughout one's life, regardless of age?

Random

Social studies, because you can incorporate that into your everyday life without requiring any specialties.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I think all are equally as important on a general level. On a more personal one, it depends on what career path you plan on pursuing.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

YamiB. said:

Which is unfortunate, because it is nearly impossible to mention any walk of life where we don't use upper-level math, or at the very least need it to understand its intricacies. Turning on the TV, walking, controlling the volume of a reservoir, scientific studies--these and many, many more things require mathematics far more advanced than simple arithmetic.

However, I believe that Algebra I should be the highest level of mathematics that every student should be required to learn. Beyond that, you're getting into fields that the common person just doesn't need very often. How many of us *really* need to know how to take the indefinite integral of a quadratic function?

Ðanisty

Faint said:
Hmm...maybe I see gym as important because most people I know of do not take the time to keep themselves in shape as they should. My gym classes were completely inadequate...the instructor took role and then let us go do what we wanted...which meant most people did nothing. Some guys played ball, but most just sat around, or maybe watched the girls gym class. I would advocate the opposite of what you said...gym required beginning in junior high (as there is no more recess, and that seems to be when teens start getting lazier and more comfortable in their "sit on my @$$" routines).

Why do you not think gym is needed? Would you disagree that physical fitness is important throughout one's life, regardless of age?
If gym had been required every year in high school, I guarantee you I would not have graduated. I would have rather quit than have to go through that. Gym was absolutely the worst experience for me in every grade that it was required. I'm a very academic person who made good grades all through school and college, but I would have chosen to get a GED rather than graduate if I had to put up with gym for another 3 years.

Honestly, I have to say math but it's because of the way they teach math. They make it useless. If they taught things that people would really use in a way that people could really understand, math would be fine.

YamiB.

Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Which is unfortunate, because it is nearly impossible to mention any walk of life where we don't use upper-level math, or at the very least need it to understand its intricacies. Turning on the TV, walking, controlling the volume of a reservoir, scientific studies--these and many, many more things require mathematics far more advanced than simple arithmetic.

However, I believe that Algebra I should be the highest level of mathematics that every student should be required to learn. Beyond that, you're getting into fields that the common person just doesn't need very often. How many of us *really* need to know how to take the indefinite integral of a quadratic function?

I suppose I did word it kind of oddly since I really had schooling before highschool in mind when I said quickly. So pretty much I don't see much point for the general populace to go beyond Algebra either.

standing_alone

Math. They've got these things called calculators. Great invention. :p

Though, obviously those that go into certain careers need to know more - but so much of the crap I never use.

ayani

i voted science. one needs a certain among of math to function in the world.

language arts and social studies are also crucial.

Ryan2065

Math isn't needed to learn how to do calculus... When you are taught math, you are taught logic in a round about way. You are taught basic problem solving skills that you DO use in your every day life.

The point of math for most students is the development of basic problem solving skills, not learning how to be a rocket scientist.

Out of those 4 I'd have to say social studies... Though I must say I find them all needed.