• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning to Understant Disability Through Disabled Dolls and Toys. Are You Free of Such Prejudice?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
*eardrums explode*
Wow!
Is that describing your feelings about the thread, or do you really have trouble with your ears?

I used to lose my balance, quite suddenly. I was riding a mlotorcycle on a motorway once when it happened the first time. I saved myself because my eye-sight was ability to steer the machine kept me upright until I had got right off the motorway and then I fell over on to the grass verge. A minute later I was alright again, but after than I needed treatment and medication before I rode motorcycles again.

That's why I asked about your eardrums ... :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't see the problem with the doll and don't understand why anyone would have a problem with it. I'm sure a wheelchair bound little girl will love it.
Thanks for that.
Maybe children in general might include disabled folks in their doll collection? The pictures in the 'disabled barbie' news reports show all kinds of disabilities.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yup. It can help to normalize those in a wheelchair, but what about their abilities? Does wheelchair Barbie come with stories of participating in sports? Leading the way in organizations despite not having use of her legs? Will it really do anything more than reflect an existence in a wheelchair? And plus there are already wheelchair bound fictional icons such as Charles Xavier. How can they do "wheelchair Barbie" to make it seem like her being on a wheelchair isn't the main focus?
Hi.....
To all of your questions, I personally don't know the answers.
The problem with child education, training and development is that there don't seem to be that many experts around. For instance, child development experts are probably going to disagree with each other over the 'barbie' initiative.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I guess our perceptions of disabled people in a world where body image is so important, need adjusting....big time.

So many "disabled" people are teaching us a thing or three about what "disability" really means. Their "ability" would put most of us "able-bodied" ones to shame.

If this 'normalises' us humans to see our not so able-bodied ones just as fellow humans, doing their best with their limitations, then maybe it's not such a bad thing. Having disabled kids attending mainstream schools where disabled kids are part of the school landscape is also a good thing.

Attitudes need to change. But the most invisible form of disability...the one that usually makes people run away, not knowing how to approach them or to interact with it is mental disability....autism, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder etc....these need to be understood and accepted as well. There is no cure for these ones either under current medical practice.

So we should all be mindful of others just trying to do their best under awful circumstances, whether visible or invisible....sometimes it's the mind in a wheelchair. :(

Brilliant points. All brilliant.

I love that......... love it......... Whilst reading your post I started to imagine a strong, fit, athletic person with a very fast mind and high IQ........... but his heart and soul both wheelchair bound because of his prejudices.

I'm going to remember that analogy, so thank you very much.

desidoll

Disability can have anyone to anytime. We do not have to make fun of his/her disability. At this time, rather than making fun of his/her disability we have to stand with them at every stage of time. That’s called true humanity. It’s a good decision from barbie to make disabled dolls. This will inculcate humanity in the children.

Straw Dog

We’re all subject to our subjective bias. We can’t help what we like, but we can grow in understanding the human condition, especially in regards to human disabilities. I don’t believe that a toy or game can teach real empathy. If anything, it may siphon that attention.

My main problem with handicap Barbie is two part.

Firstly, she’s still “fine as hell” so to speak... feeding into that stereotype: blonde skinny bimbo. Not what real beautiful & intelligent women should be, in my opinion, although I am a male with my own preferences.

Secondly, it’s a shallow consumerist ploy to reimagine and recapitalize upon their flawed character design. It’s like saying, “Empathy is in this season...” Although maybe that aspect is a good thing if it’s making them re-think their conception of a real human being.