• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning the language of prayer

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Divine Art of Living Chapter 5 Prayer and Meditation – Learning the Language of Prayer

It behooveth the servant to pray to and seek assistance from God, and to supplicate and implore His aid. Such becometh the rank of servitude, and the Lord will decree whatsoever He desireth, in accordance with His consummate wisdom.
'Abdu'l-Baha in Compilations of Compilations 2:1746

As servants of God we should accept what the Master decrees, realizing the Master is wise and will decree what is in the best interests of all involved in a situation.

Whatsoever occurreth in the world of being is light for His loved ones and fire for the people of sedition and strife. Even if all the losses of the world were to be sustained by one of the friends of God, he would still profit thereby, whereas true loss would be borne by such as are wayward, ignorant and contemptuous. Although the author of the following saying had intended it otherwise, yet We find it pertinent to the operation of God’s immutable Will:

Even or odd, thou shalt win the wager.” The friends of God shall win and profit under all conditions, and shall attain true wealth. In fire they remain cold, and from water they emerge dry. Their affairs are at variance with the affairs of men. Gain is their lot, whatever the deal. To this testifieth every wise one with a discerning eye, and every fair-minded one with a hearing ear.
Bahá’u’lláh, from a Tablet — translated from the Persian
‘Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh, Shoghi Effendi, "Crisis and Victory", 46

Those who are right with God get a benefit from anything that happens, while those not right with God will not benefit from adversity. This is part of the justice of God on the people of the world.

Thou didst write of afflictive tests that have assailed thee. To the loyal soul, a test is but God’s grace and favor; for the valiant doth joyously press forward to furious battle on the field of anguish, when the coward, whimpering with fright, will tremble and shake. So too, the proficient student, who hath with great competence mastered his subjects and committed them to memory, will happily exhibit his skills before his examiners on the day of his tests. So too will solid gold wondrously gleam and shine out in the assayer’s fire.

It is clear, then, that tests and trials are, for sanctified souls, but God’s bounty and grace, while to the weak, they are a calamity, unexpected and sudden.
(Selections from the Writings of ‘Abdu’l Bahá)
www.bahai.org/r/164653566

The import here is basically the same. The word “coward” is just an analogy here and is not addressed as criticism of the person writing to 'Abdu'l-Baha. A weak soul is the same as what Baha'u'llah indicated, someone who is not right with God. As an infallible interpreter of Baha'u'llah, this is what we should accept. A person who is not right with God is a “weak” soul.

Beseech thou from God’s infinite grace whatsoever thou desirest. But wert thou to heed my advice thou wouldst desire naught save entrance into the Abhá Kingdom, and seek naught save the bounties of the Beauty of the All-Glorious, may my life be sacrificed for His loved ones. This is my exhortation to thee.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, from a Tablet — translated from the Persian and Arabic
‘Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh, Shoghi Effendi, "Prayer, Meditation and the Devotional Attitude", 20

This reinforces my thought that material benefits are as nothing compared to spiritual benefits from prayer. However, the revealed prayers for material benefit are there, and 'Abdu'l-Baha is offering advice here, not a command. It depends on how a person's spiritual development is going whether a person will desire only spiritual development.

When the sinner findeth himself wholly detached and freed from all save God, he should beg forgiveness and pardon from Him. Confession of sins and transgressions before human beings is not permissible, as it hath never been nor will ever be conducive to divine forgiveness. Moreover such confession before people results in one’s humiliation and abasement, and God — exalted be His glory — wisheth not the humiliation of His servants. Verily He is the Compassionate, the Merciful. The sinner should, between himself and God, implore mercy from the Ocean of mercy, beg forgiveness from the Heaven of generosity...
Bahá’u’lláh, "Fountain of Wisdom", 3.12

It is conditional on being wholly detached from God. Surely, this is probably relative. It's possible that a person will never find himself wholly detached from God. Being detached from all but God in this instance has perhaps the benefit of overly being hard on yourself on the one hand or being too lenient on yourself, but exercising justice on your actions and intentions.

On the subject of confession the Guardian's secretary wrote on his behalf to an individual believer: 'We are forbidden to confess to any person, as do the Catholics to their priests, our sins and shortcomings, or to do so in public, as some religious sects do. However, if we spontaneously desire to acknowledge we have been wrong in something, or that we have some fault of character, and ask another person's forgiveness or pardon, we are quite free to do so. The Guardian wants to point out, however, that we are not obliged to do so. It rests entirely with the individual.'" (From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of Canada, March 19, 1973: Consultation: A Compilation, pp. 12-13)
Various, "Lights of Guidance", 11.589.5

Pray to God that He may strengthen you in divine virtue, so that you may be as angels in the world, and beacons of light to disclose the mysteries of the Kingdom to those with understanding hearts.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Paris Talks", 18.5

We pray for divine virtue with the intent this would benefit others, especially teaching others who are are receptive to what we may say. Disclosing the mysteries of the Kingdom could be imparting these mysteries to other Baha'is, or those who are not Baha'is, and the intent is not necessarily for them to declare themselves as Baha'is, in my opinion.

I entreat Thee to enable me to cleave steadfastly to Thy love and Thy remembrance. This is, verily, within my power, and Thou art the One that knoweth all that is in me. Thou, in truth, art knowing, apprised of all. Deprive me not, O my Lord, of the splendors of the light of Thy face, whose brightness hath illuminated the whole world. No God is there beside Thee, the Most Powerful, the All-Glorious, the Ever-Forgiving. —Bahá’u’lláh
Bahá’u’lláh, the Báb, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Bahá’í Prayers", 25.15

We ask for help in cleaving to God's love and remembrance (remembering and manifesting His attributes). With this help, doing this is within our power.

O Thou the Compassionate God. Bestow upon me a heart which, like unto a glass, may be illumined with the light of Thy love, and confer upon me thoughts which may change this world into a rose garden through the outpourings of heavenly grace. Thou art the Compassionate, the Merciful. Thou art the Great Beneficent God. —‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Bahá’u’lláh, the Báb, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, "Bahá’í Prayers", 13.13

The biggest takeaway here is the thoughts and love that change the world through God's grace through us. God does this through us.