• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning Hindi: Triumphs and Challenges

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I've been learning Hindi since January mostly on my own, but more recently with a once a week tutor and a few language exchanges via skype. My progress has been slow, but I am enjoying it.

I have been endeavoring to speak the language more often despite the enormous gaps in my vocabulary and grammatical knowledge. The results have been mixed so far. I often run into the problem of not being able to follow the language when it is spoken at natural speeds. I feel ridiculous telling my penpals/tutors, "Dhimi dhimi bolo, kripya" (Speak slowly please.) because I know they are used to speaking how they speak and slowing down might be difficult.

However, just this afternoon I sat down to have a skype conversation with someone I've met before in person but now live far from. I certainly struggled through it, but he didn't let me give up and speak English which was great. He also spoke more slowly, although not painfully slow - but slow enough that I could distinguish words from each other and ask about specific words I wasn't familiar with. (" 'mushkil' matlab kya hai?" - What is the meaning of "mushkil"?)

He could only speak to me for 20 minutes but it was amazing to be able to understand a larger chunk of what was being said. I certainly didn't catch all of it - not even close, but I recognized so much more then in previous conversations. I also know that much of the grammar was out the window, but he understood me, which is really important to me. He has agreed to help me whenever he has spare time, which I am thrilled about.

I'm still scouring the internet for resources. The challenge is that most of the native speakers I meet online are actually still living in India so the time difference makes it hard to coordinate a skype call. Still, slowly but surely I'm making progress.:)

:camp: