• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learned Helplessness and Religion

Heyo

Veteran Member
Greetings,

as an introduction I like to offer a video that explains what learned helplessness is and gives some examples. If you already know what learned helplessness is, it isn't important to watch the video.

Now to the point: are religions using learned helplessness to keep their flock in the fold?

1. Especially messianic religions tell their believers that they need a redeemer. "Nobody gets to the Father but through me." This telling someone you are powerless, you can't make it on your own, you are dependent.

2. Believe in miracles. Believing in miracles is a typical symptom of learned helplessness. The hope that somehow the natural laws will be suspended to help you achieve what you think you can't do within the laws of nature.

3. Fatalism. Fatalism and/or determinism ("gods will will be done") is prevalent among the religious. (Though determinism also occurs in scientists.)

4. Promoting obedience. At least in the Abrahamic religions obedience is one of the highest values and disobedience the worst sin.

5. No (or limited) responsibility. Sinful human nature, weakness of the flesh and "the devil made me do it" are excuses for people who think they have no agency.

Some counter-religions, like Satanism, pick exactly on this. They proclaim their followers to be free agents with full responsibility.

Have you been told that you are helpless?

Do you think you are helpless?