• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learn About How To Comfort The Depressed:

iris89

Learn About How To Comfort The Depressed:

At the moment all experience depression from time to time as was brought out at Romans 8:22, “For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.” (American Standard Version; ASV). Many are depressed, and true Christians must per 1 Thessalonians 5:14, “And we exhort you, brethren, admonish the disorderly, encourage the fainthearted, support the weak, be longsuffering toward all.” (ASV).

Today, this distress is even greater, and more individuals are depressed than ever before. Of course this is no surprise to those who read the Bible and comprehend it. The Bible at 2 Timothy 3:1-5 shows this, “But know this, that in the last days grievous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, railers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 without natural affection, implacable, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, no lovers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, puffed up, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; 5 holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power therefore. From these also turn away.” (ASV). Also, Jesus (Yeshua) Christ foretold this specifically at Matthew 24:3-14, “ And as he sat on the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man lead you astray. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am the Christ; and shall lead many astray. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that ye be not troubled: for [these things] must needs come to pass; but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there shall be famines and earthquakes in divers places. 8 But all these things are the beginning of travail. 9 Then shall they deliver you up unto tribulation, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all the nations for my name's sake. 10 And then shall many stumble, and shall deliver up one another, and shall hate one another. 11 And many false prophets shall arise, and shall lead many astray. 12 And because iniquity shall be multiplied, the love of the many shall wax cold. 13 But he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come” (ASV); and Luke 21:7-11, “And they asked him, saying, Teacher, when therefore shall these things be? and what [shall be] the sign when these things are about to come to pass? 8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not led astray: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am [he]; and, The time is at hand: go ye not after them. 9 And when ye shall hear of wars and tumults, be not terrified: for these things must needs come to pass first; but the end is not immediately. 10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; 11 and there shall be great earthquakes, and in divers places famines and pestilences; and there shall be terrors and great signs from heaven.” (ASV).
Individuals who experience prolonged anxiety, fear, grief, or other negative emotions can become very depressed. In fact extreme depression or sadness can even lead to death. It can be caused by the death of a loved one, a divorce, the loss of a job, or an unrelenting sickness. Many become depressed when they develop a sense of worthlessness or consider themselves a failure. Anyone can develop a sense of hopelessness and be unable to see a way out of a bad situation, and this can result in severe depression.

Depression is not just a modern thing, but people in ancient times also experienced it as shown by Job as recorded at Job 10:1, “My soul is weary of my life; I will give free course to my complaint; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul.” (ASV); and at Job 29:2-5, “Oh that I were as in the months of old, As in the days when God watched over me; 3 When his lamp shined upon my head, And by his light I walked through darkness; 4 As I was in the ripeness of my days, When the friendship of God was upon my tent; 5 When the Almighty was yet with me, And my children were about me;” (ASV).

Today, many have become depressed because of. Overexerting themselves, trying to follow a daily.routiqe that is.& beyond heir mental, emotional, and physical resourcesl. Apparently, stress, coupled with negative thoughts and emotions, can affect the body and contribute to a chemical inbalance in the brain, thus producing depression. This is shown at Proverbs 14:30, “A tranquil heart is the life of the flesh; But envy is the rottenness of the bones.” (ASV).

GIVE HELP TO THE DEPRESSED ONES:

Epaphroditus, a first-century Christian from Philippi, be came "depressed because [his friends] heard he had fallen sick." Epaphroditus, When had become sick after being sent to Rome by his friends with provisions fp1" the apostle Paul, perhaps felt he had let his friends down and that they considered him a failure. This is shown at Philippians 2:25-27, “ But I counted it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother and fellow-worker and fellow-soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need; 26 since he longed after you all, and was sore troubled, because ye had heard that he was sick: 27 for indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, that I might not have sorrow upon sorrow.” (ASV).

So what did the Apostle Paul do to help in this situation? He sent his friend Epaphroditius home, but with a letter to the Philippians congregation which said, as recorded at Philippians 2:28-30, “I have sent him therefore the more diligently, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful. 29 Receive him therefore in the Lord with all joy; and hold such in honor: 30 because for the work of Christ he came nigh unto death, hazarding his life to supply that which was lacking in your service toward me.” (ASV). Thus by speaking highly of him, Paul assured that his congregation would welcome him with warmth and affection; thus assisting in relieving his depression.

This is in accord to the advice given in the Bible to at Philemon 1: 7, “For I had much joy and comfort in thy love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through thee, brother.” (ASV). We need to show much love and comfort those who suffer from depression.

However the depressed individual often needs to take the initiative and seek out an empathetic person in whom to confide. This person should be a patient and good listener, and avoid lecturing the depressed individual or making judgmental statements.

Learn About How To Comfort The Depressed:[see part 2, 2 nd. post down]http://preacher.proboards7.com/index.cgi?board=advice&action=display&num=1106962853

Your Friend in Christ Iris89

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well done, Iris. The trouble is that people sometimes react unexpectedly to someone who is depressed; abit like when some people can't cope with someone elses grief over the loss of a loved one.

The main thing to know is not to say:'snap out of it' as most people tend to. A lot more could be done to make people aware of the associated problems that come with depression.:)

iris89

Hi Michel

Glad you liked my post, and I agree with your statement;

The main thing to know is not to say:'snap out of it' as most
people tend to. A lot more could be done to make people aware of the
associated problems that come with depression.:)
Actually I wrote it as I know the wrong of just telling someone to 'snap out of it.'

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
That was a lovely article, Isis. Thank you for sharing.

michel said:
The main thing to know is not to say:'snap out of it' as most people tend to.
My sister, who's in the social work field, used to grow up with that attitude towards me. She came to me a few years ago, with the realization "That's like telling someone with diabetes to 'just get over it'!" I'm glad she's continually growing.

iris89

Hi FeathersinHair

I work often with very depressed individuals and usually I find others who have told them to just 'snap out of it' or similar have only made them more depressed. Therefore, I wrote what I did to try and educate everyone on how to assist depressed ones in a careing way so as to help without further injury. People need to be kinder and more considerate of others and where depression is involved to proceed very slowly and with love just like the Apostle John did. I always use him as an example with respect how he dealt with the depressed when holding training classes on how to deal with the depressed, especially so when training new ministers how to deal with the depressed.