• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead by a spiritual teacher/guide

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When a spiritual teacher accept a student the student will in the beginning not accuratly represent his/her teacher and the teaching. The student will have his/her own ego telling what is the current understanding of what teacher Said, so teacher may say one thing, and when student try explaining what his/her teacher actually Said, the student will not say the same as the teacher. Because of lack of wisdom.

@Conscious thoughts is at this point right now, so as long I speak in RF it is not the word of my teacher, it is only my understanding of his teaching. So i do not misrepresent sufi teaching or my teacher.

And i may have misunderstood many aspect in the teaching.
So right now even i do belong to Nakshibendi Tarikat and the teaching i still can not speak like my teacher do.
So in research you may find my own words still to not be fully the same as Nakshibendi Tarikat teaching says

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When a spiritual teacher accept a student the student will in the beginning not accuratly represent his/her teacher and the teaching. The student will have his/her own ego telling what is the current understanding of what teacher Said, so teacher may say one thing, and when student try explaining what his/her teacher actually Said, the student will not say the same as the teacher. Because of lack of wisdom.

@Conscious thoughts is at this point right now, so as long I speak in RF it is not the word of my teacher, it is only my understanding of his teaching. So i do not misrepresent sufi teaching or my teacher.

And i may have misunderstood many aspect in the teaching.
So right now even i do belong to Nakshibendi Tarikat and the teaching i still can not speak like my teacher do.
So in research you may find my own words still to not be fully the same as Nakshibendi Tarikat teaching says

Even within fairly tight groups at the upper level, if you asked 10 people on something, you might get 10 different responses, especially if the group encourages free thinking, or free expression. If you studied those 10 responses closely, you'd see they were similar, but with different words, as there are just so many ways to express the same thing. However, if it doesn't, you're likely to get 10 very similar responses, or 10 quotes from the same scripture.

Have you formally enrolled and started sending money?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Even within fairly tight groups at the upper level, if you asked 10 people on something, you might get 10 different responses, especially if the group encourages free thinking, or free expression. If you studied those 10 responses closely, you'd see they were similar, but with different words, as there are just so many ways to express the same thing. However, if it doesn't, you're likely to get 10 very similar responses, or 10 quotes from the same scripture.

Have you formally enrolled and started sending money?
Sending money? Where?
You mean likSunnior shia tradition ask for?
As far as i understand it is no such thing in sufism. My teacher do not take any money for his teaching.

But yes i did get approval from him that I sm officially a student of his.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sending money? Where?
You mean likSunnior shia tradition ask for?
As far as i understand it is no such thing in sufism. My teacher do not take any money for his teaching.

But yes i did get approval from him that I sm officially a student of his.

How does he support himself? Does he have a benefactor?

My point is that religious teachers, if they are to remain teachers, have to eat too. A common one is to live on alms, or on whatever students are able to give. I know if a teaching was really benefiting me, I'd want to donate to that cause, to the extent that I felt the teaching was benefiting me. But then, I believe in karma. It's not that they ask for it, it's that the student understands how life works.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

My point is that religious teachers, if they are to remain teachers, have to eat too. A common one is to live on alms, or on whatever students are able to give. I know if a teaching was really benefiting me, I'd want to donate to that cause, to the extent that I felt the teaching was benefiting me. But then, I believe in karma. It's not that they ask for it, it's that the student understands how life works.
It's was not been a question i asked. All i have asked is if he can guide me, and he Said yes. If or when i go there to stay for some time, i am sure i know more about if money gifts is needed.

So far materlistic issue has not been discussed

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's was not been a question i asked. All i have asked is if he can guide me, and he Said yes. If or when i go there to stay for some time, i am sure i know more about if money gifts is needed.

So far materlistic issue has not been discussed

Do they have a fee for staying there? Surely you're expected to pay for your own food, and shelter.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do they have a fee for staying there? Surely you're expected to pay for your own food, and shelter.

I know a Theravada monastery near me doesn't have a fee for retreats. They do go out and collect alms and survive on donations. Once there, the students and visitors have to do what the monks do, eat, and sleep and follow their schedule. I have yet to go myself since it's so far up in the woods out of state, but I'd assume service and donations would be expected more than a general fee as one sees in businesses.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I know a Theravada monastery near me doesn't have a fee for retreats. They do go out and collect alms and survive on donations. Once there, the students and visitors have to do what the monks do, eat, and sleep and follow their schedule. I have yet to go myself since it's so far up in the woods out of state, but I'd assume service and donations would be expected more than a general fee as one sees in businesses.
There's a Buddhist retreat center near me as well. That's how it works there to. Some also offer a 'work for your food' system, where you have kitchen duty, or garden duty.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
@Conscious thoughts is at this point right now, so as long I speak in RF it is not the word of my teacher, it is only my understanding of his teaching.

That is my sense as well. Even with the best sincerity we can muster, we hear things through the veil of our limited understanding.

Money can be one of those tricky areas separating a true teacher from a fraud earning a living by pretending to be a teacher.

In stories about teachers I've read, some explicitly note that the person works for a living just like everyone else. Here is one page that mentions this.

Also, if the group has a center, people could be asked to help contribute to its upkeep based on their ability to pay. But making payment of large sums a condition would lead me to run away quickly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That is my sense as well. Even with the best sincerity we can muster, we hear things through the veil of our limited understanding.

Money can be one of those tricky areas separating a true teacher from a fraud earning a living by pretending to be a teacher.

In stories about teachers I've read, some explicitly note that the person works for a living just like everyone else. Here is one page that mentions this.

Also, if the group has a center, people could be asked to help contribute to its upkeep based on their ability to pay. But making payment of large sums a condition would lead me to run away quickly.

How I told the difference awhile back was the amount and how they asked for it. Two off shoot Buddhist sects Kadampa and SGI tend to have the need-donations-feel to it. Both I found all the merchandize and books were written by the organizational leaders (SGI I couldn't find any book even a suttra that wasn't written or commentary from the organization's leader). That and they asked for $4,000 donations and have conventions for such. It's the way one goes about it too. I'd say be careful.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I fully agree with you on this :)
Money has nothing to do in a spiritual setting. I read somewhere that if i go there, i take part in maintaining the area we stay as a part of the spiritual training.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I read somewhere that if i go there, i take part in maintaining the area we stay as a part of the spiritual training.

I once visited Trungpa's center in Vermont (a LONG time ago). There was a time every day for those living there to do maintenance and cleaning. I, as a guest, was asked to do the same.

Currently I am on a cleaning team for our Sanctuary as well as doing other things which I'm happy to do as a relatively healthy retired person who is a relatively low COVID risk and can thus enter the building.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I once visited Trungpa's center in Vermont (a LONG time ago). There was a time every day for those living there to do maintenance and cleaning. I, as a guest, was asked to do the same.

Currently I am on a cleaning team for our Sanctuary as well as doing other things which I'm happy to do as a relatively healthy retired person who is a relatively low COVID risk and can thus enter the building.
To take care of the area we stay, no matter if it is our home, spiritual practice area or even our mind, is a very good way to practice the goodness in life, it is time for personal development and endurance of doing things we find boring or hard to do.
That is to me the times i can see if my ego try to stop me from doing my best effort, and time to make ego less important :)