• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS only: Mormons not Christians.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
From a Mormon perspective why do so many other Christian denominations say you aren't Christians?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Of course we have a clue.

LDS reject many of the tenants of traditional Christianity and/or add to it in a way considered blasphemous by traditional Christianity. Here's a sampling:

1. LDS don't believe in the Trinity (God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are One God). Rather, LDS believe that these three are separate Beings, but one in purpose.

2. LDS believe Jesus and Satan are brothers! LDS believe there was a pre-existence where God created everyone. Jesus was first and Satan came later, but, by definition, doesn't that make them brothers? The very thought makes the traditional Christian cringe.

3. LDS use additional scripture such as the Book of Mormon. For many traditional Christians, the Bible is the Word - the be all and end all of scripture.

4. LDS is a cult - it has secret ceremonies in its temples, which, historically, included the sexual abuse of women by their Bishops. Note: That's not what happens, but that's what some traditional Christians think.

That's just a start.

silvermoon383

He asked from our perspective, not theirs. Besides, there's nothing inside the Bible (or the dictionary) that denies the claim to Christianity that we have.

Watchmen

Premium Member
He asked from our perspective, not theirs. Besides, there's nothing inside the Bible (or the dictionary) that denies the claim to Christianity that we have.

Panda asked, from our perspecitive why do we think others don't consider us Christian. We all know why they don't and I listed some of the reasons. That's my perspective.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
From a Mormon perspective why do so many other Christian denominations say you aren't Christians?
I'm not a Morman, but I consider myself a friend and a sister to you, where are they? ****she see's the accusers of her brethern....:slap:**** That was for my friend Katz......:D

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
There are a variety of reasons. But to enumerate them all would be a waste of time IMO. To find out just Google and you can see all the critical and anti LDS literature out there.

We are Christian. There is no doubting that. Yes we are different in some ways from our fellow Christian brothers and sisters in their belief systems. But we accept Jesus Christ as our God and Savior. Isn't that all that is necessary to be Christian?:)

Watchmen

Premium Member
There are a variety of reasons. But to enumerate them all would be a waste of time IMO. To find out just Google and you can see all the critical and anti LDS literature out there.

We are Christian. There is no doubting that. Yes we are different in some ways from our fellow Christian brothers and sisters in their belief systems. But we accept Jesus Christ as our God and Savior. Isn't that all that is necessary to be Christian?:)

From my perspective a Christian would tell Zippy that he believes in a different Jesus Christ.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'd say there are three basic reasons:

1. We reject the doctrine of the Trinity (although we do believe in three divine beings who are all part of a single Godhead).
2. We believe in extrabiblical scripture (although the Bible has been called "foremost among our Standard Works").
3. We believe in living prophets (while most Christians believe that all revelation to Christ's Church ended with the deaths of the Apostles).

Of course, there are miscellaneous doctrines that people take issue with, most of the time because they don't really have an accurate understanding of them. I actually think that part of it is that they perceive us to be "stealing" their members. The whole "Mormons aren't Christians" thing is a reactionary tactic designed to keep "real Christians" from even considering looking into our religion.

tomspug

Absorbant
It is worth noting that, as DisneyMan says, just because people use the same words and names, does not conclude that they are exactly the same. One word can, in another culture or religion, mean something entirely different. This is why context is so important when comparing religions with each other. For example, in evangelical Christianity, God and Jesus are synonymous, which has an important influence on the theology of the birth, death, and resurrection of the icon, and has different implications for mankind.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Jesus provided a way to recognize one of his followers:

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one for another". (John 13:35)

It's important to believe correct doctrine, but maybe love is a more important attribute and sign of a true Christian.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I can understand from a purely theoretical POV why some Christians might not consider Mormons Christian, but what I don't get is why some get so angry about the LDS Church proclaiming themselves Christian, its like they are personally threatened by other peoples beliefs that need not affect them one iota. It's quite silly.

jonny

Because it makes them feel important. They have this weird fantasy that if they don't let us be Christians(TM), we'll all come clamoring over to them, begging to be let into their special "Christian" club. In reality, I would become atheist before I joined any other Christian denomination.

tomspug

Absorbant
Disney you are this close to being put on my ignore list! I am glad you are a member of the LDS faith, but you are getting out of control and need to reign in your mouth:foot:
Um, for being honest, you're going to put him on your ignore list? Maybe you need a reality check.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

Please remember that this thread is in the Discuss Individual Religions area. This means two things:

- discussion is okay here, but debate is not.
- non-members of the individual religion in question (in this case, the LDS Church) must limit their participation to respectful questions only.

If an issue arises here that makes you want to debate, please remember that the debate forums are open to you.

Thanks,

9-10ths_Penguin
Mod