• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Only: Is Miracle of Forgiveness Doctrinal?

Is Miracle of Forgiveness Doctrinal?

• Total voters

Bishka

Veteran Member
In another thread Madhatter states that,

It is Doctrinal, and it does hold us in many ways, it was written by our beloved prophet Spencer W Kimball. It has been called "the 5th standard work" by our general authorities.

Do you agree or disagree?

Aqualung

Tasty
I've never read it, but, having been written by a prophet, I'm sure it contains a lot of doctrinally sound things in it. Heck, I could probably write a book that was doctrinally sound, and probably the majority of people who give talks or teach lessons at church try and succeed at writing and teaching doctrine.

But, having never read it, that's the best answer I can give.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I've never read it, but, having been written by a prophet, I'm sure it contains a lot of doctrinally sound things in it. Heck, I could probably write a book that was doctrinally sound, and probably the majority of people who give talks or teach lessons at church try and succeed at writing and teaching doctrine.

But, having never read it, that's the best answer I can give.

I'm not saying it doesn't have doctrine in it, but our salvation and our beliefs do not rest on that book and it is in no way a 'standard work'. It is a very excellent book and I agree with a lot of what President Kimball says, he had much good to say.

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm not saying it doesn't have doctrine in it, but our salvation and our beliefs do not rest on that book and it is in no way a 'standard work'. It is a very excellent book and I agree with a lot of what President Kimball says, he had much good to say.

Well, then I guess I don't entirely understand your question. If what he poses is doctrine (ie, if he restates doctrinal teachings in ways that people can understand, or, in your words, it has doctrine in it), then our salvation rests on it in the same way it rests on the pure and unparaphrased doctrine found in, say, the doctrine and convenants. "Standard work", on the other hand, is a very specific term. If you are asking "Is it a standard work", then the answer would most definitely be "no", as those are very well delineated. So, yeah, that's about where I stand in my not-entirely-understanding-the-question state. :eek:

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Well, then I guess I don't entirely understand your question. If what he poses is doctrine (ie, if he restates doctrinal teachings in ways that people can understand, or, in your words, it has doctrine in it), then our salvation rests on it in the same way it rests on the pure and unparaphrased doctrine found in, say, the doctrine and convenants. "Standard work", on the other hand, is a very specific term. If you are asking "Is it a standard work", then the answer would most definitely be "no", as those are very well delineated. So, yeah, that's about where I stand in my not-entirely-understanding-the-question state. :eek:

she means "doctrinally binding".

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Click the link.LDS.org - Search

more than 10 pages of search results.

38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.

It is Doctinaly binding.

Chapter 12, Gospel Doctrine Handbook - Prayer and Fasting
■ “Failing to fast is a sin. In the 58th chapter of Isaiah, rich promises are made by the Lord to those who fast and assist the needy. Freedom from frustrations, freedom from thralldom, and the blessing of peace are promised. Inspiration and spiritual guidance will come with righteousness and closeness to our Heavenly Father. To omit to do this righteous act of fasting would deprive us of these blessings” (Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, 98).

Why would the Church TEACH from this book if it was not doctrinally binding?

Want me to keep going?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Same thign for the Ensign and New Era, They are all Doctrinally Binding, Theya re considered Modern Day Scripture. our general Authorities provide us revelation and publish it, present it in confrences, write it in other books. But no book written by a prophet has been so important to members of the church that "The Miracle of Forgiveness"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Any Latter-day Saint should know that four books are considered part of the "Standard Works." I won't waste anyone's time by naming them. If a General Authority did, in fact, refer to "The Miracle of Forgiveness" as "the fifth Standard Work" I'm sure he did not intend that we take the statement literally. It was just his way of recommending the book as as excellent source of information on a very important subject.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Any Latter-day Saint should know that four books are considered part of the "Standard Works." I won't waste anyone's time by naming them. If a General Authority did, in fact, refer to "The Miracle of Forgiveness" as "the fifth Standard Work" I'm sure he did not intend that we take the statement literally. It was just his way of recommending the book as as excellent source of information on a very important subject.
why would you attempt to "interpet" what the prophets have spoken? Are their words not valid at face value?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

a text search of LDS Collectors library returns hundreds of hits for "Miracle of Forgiveness" but not a single one appears in the same paragraph as the word "standard".

I personally would be interested to see the quote if he can provide it.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
...But no book written by a prophet has been so important to members of the church that "The Miracle of Forgiveness"

really? more important than the book that prophet named Alma wrote? or Nephi, Isaiah, Moses, Mormon?

wow! That IS important.

SoyLeche

meh...
"The Miracle of Forgiveness" is a doctrinal comentary. There isn't anything new in there at all, it's just organized in a more "user-friendly" way.