• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Evidences

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Saint George said:
Whoever wrote the book of mormon relied heavily on text from the OT. In fact, biblical scholars have pinpointed a book in the OT that is very similar to the phrases used in the book of mormon. So, it's not surprising that some references in this book were lifted right out of the OT, edited to suite the author's intentions and then pasted into this book.
I'm guessing that you are referring to Isaiah. Is that correct? Do you have any idea why Nephi quoted Isaiah? I'd just like to get some idea of your background on the subject before we continue.

dan

Katzpur said:
I'm guessing that you are referring to Isaiah. Is that correct? Do you have any idea why Nephi quoted Isaiah? I'd just like to get some idea of your background on the subject before we continue. [/color]

I can't imagine anyone actually accusing the Book of Mormon of claiming ownership of those verses. Nephi says he is going to quote Isaiah in the text.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
dan said:
I can't imagine anyone actually accusing the Book of Mormon of claiming ownership of those verses. Nephi says he is going to quote Isaiah in the text.
Thanks, Dan, but I'd kind of hoped to hear from Saint George. His comments would have provided the platform from which I continued this discussion. Perhaps he will still contribute.

Katzpur said:
Thanks, Dan, but I'd kind of hoped to hear from Saint George. His comments would have provided the platform from which I continued this discussion. Perhaps he will still contribute.

Your approach to this argument is completely in the wrong direction. It’s not up to me to discredit or disprove the book of mormon. It’s up to you to convince yourself and others of the accuracies of this manuscript. There are many fallacious manuscripts that have been written over the years claiming to have some religious value. But, it’s not up to Christians to disprove these writings. It’s up to the writers and followers of these writings to demonstrate if there is any religious value to these manuscripts. A recent example is the davinci code. It is not up to Christians to disprove such meaningless allegations that this book asserts. It is up to the cynical proponents of this book to prove that there is any value in reading such trash.

I have read the book of mormon and I found it to be a bad piece of fiction with no religious value to it. But, your average boarders book store sells books that are many times more pointless than anything that is contained in the book of mormon. As I said before, if the book of mormon makes you a better person and helps you to better understand and put into practice the teachings of Christ then that’s great. Read it and get as much as you can out of it. There aren’t many books or manuscripts out there (fact or fiction) that can inspire one to follow Christ. So, if this book inspires you then I’m happy for you. But remember, it’s up to you to convince yourself of the authenticity and the religious value of the book. It’s not up to me or anyone else to convince you otherwise.

:cool:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Saint George said:
Your approach to this argument is completely in the wrong direction.
Hold on. I think you're jumping the gun. All I said was, "I'm guessing that you are referring to Isaiah. Is that correct? Do you have any idea why Nephi quoted Isaiah?" I made one statement and asked two simple questions, and from this brief response, you have nailed my "approach to this argument"?

It’s not up to me to discredit or disprove the book of mormon. It’s up to you to convince yourself and others of the accuracies of this manuscript.
I'm already convinced of the truth of the Book of Mormon. As far as I'm concerned, everybody else's perspective on it is irrelevant.

I would like to comment on one statement you made, though...

In fact, biblical scholars have pinpointed a book in the OT that is very similar to the phrases used in the book of mormon.
Are you seriously telling me that it took Biblical scholars to pinpoint the "book in the OT that is very similar to the phrases used in the Book of Mormon"? :rolleyes: I'm sorry, Saint George, but we're not talking rocket science here.