• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Contradiction of the Bible. Tenable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Can't imagine why you decided to throw this little tidbit into your post, but thanks anyway.

This says nothing about the canon being determined in 325 A.D. The council was convened in order to come to an agreement as to the nature of Jesus Christ (which your source clearly states) and to determine His relationship to His Father. Oh, and there were actually only about 300 attendees.
Well that is what you believe, but I don't, and I certainly cannot believe the book of Mormon to be from a god, with the vanishing gold tablets, and the hat trick to write it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Funny, Psycho, your account of the council of Nicea bears virtually no resemblance to wikipedia's extensive discourse on the subject, but I expect no less from you.

First Council of Nicaea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's like my friend Draka once noted: "Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant." We are witnessing the victorious pigeon in all his glory.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't take Wikipedia too serious, after all what you read there will be common knowledge by the church, so of course you wont find what I shared, you have to do you own homework.
Well, there are several hundred websites other than Wikipedia you can go to for what is essentially the same information.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
But you don't have the fact, if you did, everyone would be a Mormon.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism, psychoslice. It has as much to do with Buddhism and agnosticism as it does with Mormonism. We're talking about the first council at Nicea here; we're not talking about Mormon doctrine. A Mormon, a Buddhist and an agnostic have all told you that you don't know what you're talking about when you say this council was convened in order to establish the Christian canon.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
This has absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism, psychoslice. It has as much to do with Buddhism and agnosticism as it does with Mormonism. We're talking about the first council at Nicea here; we're not talking about Mormon doctrine. A Mormon, a Buddhist and an agnostic have all told you that you don't know what you're talking about when you say this council was convened in order to establish the Christian canon.
I don't really care what others think, I do that for myself, the majority are usually wrong anyway, but you have your beliefs and I'll stick to mine, it makes more sense.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What are you even going off about? This thread has nothing to do with the origins of the Bible, for crying out loud. Go find a soapbox somewhere else.
Well you did argue with me, did you, so I replied back to you, and where the bible came from does have everything to do with what your going on about, its the back bone of your religion and everyone else's.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't really care what others think, I do that for myself, the majority are usually wrong anyway, but you have your beliefs and I'll stick to mine, it makes more sense.
I hope we can assume from this comment that you're done with this thread.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well you did argue with me, did you, so I replied back to you, and where the bible came from does have everything to do with what your going on about, its the back bone of your religion and everyone else's.
Actually, the thread started out as a debate over whether or not Mormon doctrine is truly biblical. You're the one who derailed it, and most of us have been trying to get it back on track ever since. With any luck, you'll make a semi-graceful exit at this point and let us continue where we left off.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Actually, the thread started out as a debate over whether or not Mormon doctrine is truly biblical. You're the one who derailed it, and most of us have been trying to get it back on track ever since. With any luck, you'll make a semi-graceful exit at this point and let us continue where we left off.
Well in that case, no, the Mormon doctrine isn't truly biblical, to me it was Joseph Smiths interpretation of how he himself believed in god, and the rest I believe he made up, especially about the gold tablets.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Yes, but he was not God or a God. God can send me on an errand to help the poor, for example. I don't have to be God, to help him do his work. Nor does he need me to do his work. I'm not Omnipotent, but he is.

Michael, God, and Jesus created the Earth. Yup, not Biblical.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
A lot of Christians believe that Michael is Jesus' angel name in heaven before he came to earth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well in that case, no, the Mormon doctrine isn't truly biblical, to me it was Joseph Smiths interpretation of how he himself believed in god, and the rest I believe he made up, especially about the gold tablets.
That's nice. :p Your logic, the persuasive power of your reply and your convincing use of evidence is truly mind-boggling.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
A lot of Christians believe that Michael is Jesus' angel name in heaven before he came to earth.
Mormons believe Michael is the name by which Adam was known in the pre-mortal life. It's the Jehovah's Witnesses who believe Michael was Jesus' name.

Status
Not open for further replies.