• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS beliefs and the Bible

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
And here we see you going out of your way to avoid the questions asked earlier.
Just for a recap:
For example, could you tell me who chose the four gospels now in the NT, and for what reasons?
Could you name those of Paul's epistles that weren't included?
Can you tell me the difference between Timothy 1, Timothy 2, Titus, Hebrews and the rest of Paul's epistles?
Do you know why the Apocalypse of John was included despite protest?
Rather embarrassing, don't you think, that with all your talk and preaching, you cannot even answer these simple questions?

Now one has to wonder the why you cannot answer...
I flat out say that you just do not know the answer.
Prove me wrong.
I dare you.

Now you are playing the Roman Catholic game. Any Roman Catholic Christian want to answer the man's question. After we get the Roman Catholic version, I will give you my answer. When do you want to discuss the actual contents of the Bible? All Scripture is God-breathed according to the Scriptures.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Now you are playing the Roman Catholic game. Any Roman Catholic Christian want to answer the man's question. After we get the Roman Catholic version, I will give you my answer. When do you want to discuss the actual contents of the Bible? All Scripture is God-breathed according to the Scriptures.
I see.
So you have no intention on answering then?
Why you could not just flat out state as such is beyond me.
And you accuse others of "playing games."

Discussion of the actual contents or your Calvinized version?

Yet the Scriptures say absolutely nothing of the Bible.
Interesting that.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
I see.
So you have no intention on answering then?
Why you could not just flat out state as such is beyond me.
And you accuse others of "playing games."

Discussion of the actual contents or your Calvinized version?

Yet the Scriptures say absolutely nothing of the Bible.
Interesting that.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16

My Calvinized version can be found at your local Wal Mart, K Mart, Costco, and all bookstores found throughout the United States. All I can say is all Scripture is breathed out by God. If you guys want to debate out the issues which tries to undermine Scipture as being the Word of God, have at it. It's funny how people do anything to avoid the discussion of the actual contents of the Scriptures. The truth of the Scriptures is light. I can recommend scholarly and academic books and commentaries that can answer those questions, but I don't think that's really the issue.

11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Jesus the Great High Priest

14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4

Here are links to the canon of Scripture articles. There are references to books that will help answer the questions that you may have.

THE CANON OF SCRIPTURE

New Testament

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16
Like I said, not one mention of the Bible...

My Calvinized version can be found at your local Wal Mart, K Mart, Costco, and all bookstores found throughout the United States.
NOt really.
The versions in at the locations you listed are NIV, KJV, NKJV, MKJV, NASB, etc.
The Calvin version is not to be found at Wal-mart.
At least not any of the six Wal-marts in my immediate area

All I can say is all Scripture is breathed out by God. If you guys want to debate out the issues which tries to undermine Scipture as being the Word of God, have at it.
Yet you argue with Calvin's perversion of what the scriptures say...
Hence you are not actually discussing the Scriptures as God intended, but as Calvin wants to see them.

It's funny how people do anything to avoid the discussion of the actual contents of the Scriptures.
I agree.
Now all we needs do is figure out why you go so far out of your way to do just that.

The truth of the Scriptures is light. I can recommend scholarly and academic books and commentaries that can answer those questions, but I don't think that's really the issue.
Not in a thread where you constantly harp "SCRIPTURE ONLY!!"

Here are links to the canon of Scripture articles. There are references to books that will help answer the questions that you may have.

THE CANON OF SCRIPTURE

New Testament
And here we once again see you referring to non-Biblical sources whilst screaming sola scriptura.

Do you honestly not see what you are doing or are you hoping that no one else sees it?
You constantly reject sources outside of the scriptures saying that one can only use the scriptures and in the same breath you present non-scriptural references.

Seems to me that you are doing this in order to pick and choose that which you think helps your position whilst being able to ignore that which you think hurts your position, truth be damned.

And you STILL have not answered:
For example, could you tell me who chose the four gospels now in the NT, and for what reasons?
Can you tell me the difference between Timothy 1, Timothy 2, Titus, Hebrews and the rest of Paul's epistles?
Do you know why the Apocalypse of John was included despite protest?​

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Like I said, not one mention of the Bible...

NOt really.
The versions in at the locations you listed are NIV, KJV, NKJV, MKJV, NASB, etc.
The Calvin version is not to be found at Wal-mart.
At least not any of the six Wal-marts in my immediate area

Yet you argue with Calvin's perversion of what the scriptures say...
Hence you are not actually discussing the Scriptures as God intended, but as Calvin wants to see them.

I agree.
Now all we needs do is figure out why you go so far out of your way to do just that.

Not in a thread where you constantly harp "SCRIPTURE ONLY!!"

And here we once again see you referring to non-Biblical sources whilst screaming sola scriptura.

Do you honestly not see what you are doing or are you hoping that no one else sees it?
You constantly reject sources outside of the scriptures saying that one can only use the scriptures and in the same breath you present non-scriptural references.

Seems to me that you are doing this in order to pick and choose that which you think helps your position whilst being able to ignore that which you think hurts your position, truth be damned.

And you STILL have not answered:

What's the Calvin version? Are you talking about the Geneva translation?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
What's the Calvin version? Are you talking about the Geneva translation?
Calvin's opinion of what God says.
It does not line up with the Bible

And now you have added some more things onto your "I am going to ignore" list.
Comical how you love to divert from the un-pleasantries...

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Calvin's opinion of what God says.
It does not line up with the Bible

And now you have added some more things onto your "I am going to ignore" list.
Comical how you love to divert from the un-pleasantries...

Do you understand that there are various study notes and commentaries on Study Bibles? The original Geneva Bible had Reformed notes and commentaries on it. However, the notes were never intended to be inspired writing. This is still common practice for today. Now, the LDS members may claim that Joseph Smith's notes were inspired writings, but that's another story. If you agree or disagree with me personally, it does not change the contents of the Bible. I am not the standard of Christianity, but I can only share my current understanding of the Christian Faith which is historic biblical Christianity.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Do you understand that there are various study notes and commentaries on Study Bibles?

Yes.

The original Geneva Bible had Reformed notes and commentaries on it. However, the notes were never intended to be inspired writing. This is still common practice for today.

And?

Now, the LDS members may claim that Joseph Smith's notes were inspired writings, but that's another story.

Agreed.

If you agree or disagree with me personally, it does not change the contents of the Bible.

Agreed.
Unfortuanately you seem to have taken the attitude that the only reason some would disagree with you is because they do not understand.
I do understand the Bible.
I also understand Calvin's perversion of the Bible.
I disagree with the Bible on many points.
I also disagree that Calvin's perversion is Biblical.

I am not the standard of Christianity, but I can only share my current understanding of the Christian Faith which is historic biblical Christianity.
Define this alleged "historical Biblical Christianity."

And more specifically, please be so kind as to explain:
1. How this "historical Biblical Christianity" agrees with/confirms Calvin's perversions

2. How this "historical Biblical Christianity" (a man made concept) confirms/agrees with sola scriptura
I do realize that you are most likely going to ignore these as well.
Oh yeah, i almost forgot, you can use ONLY the scriptures (your consistent argument, not mine)to explain the conformity/agreement of the two points above.

Scott1

Now you are playing the Roman Catholic game. Any Roman Catholic Christian want to answer the man's question. After we get the Roman Catholic version, I will give you my answer.
For the first 300 years of Christianity, there was no Bible as we know it today. Christians had the Old Testament Septuagint, and literally hundreds of other books from which to choose. The Catholic Church realized early on that she had to decide which of these books were inspired and which ones weren't. The debates raged between theologians, Bishops, and Church Fathers, for several centuries as to which books were inspired and which ones weren't. In the meantime, several Church Councils or Synods, were convened to deal with the matter, notably, Rome in 382, Hippo in 393, and Carthage in 397 and 419.
Canon of Scripture
Nope
Not really... no.
Yes

Ok... your turn.:D

idea

Question Everything
For the first 300 years of Christianity, there was no Bible as we know it today. Christians had the Old Testament Septuagint, and literally hundreds of other books from which to choose. The Catholic Church realized early on that she had to decide which of these books were inspired and which ones weren't. The debates raged between theologians, Bishops, and Church Fathers, for several centuries as to which books were inspired and which ones weren't. In the meantime, several Church Councils or Synods, were convened to deal with the matter, notably, Rome in 382, Hippo in 393, and Carthage in 397 and 419.
Canon of Scripture

Thank you. Yes, all who use the Bible need to be informed as to how the Bible came to be.

Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha and Sacred Writings

the above link contains a collection of online ancient manuscripts that many may find interesting. I have read through some of it, fascinating stuff!

3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.
4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles?
5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have bhated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people.
6 Thou fool, that shall say: A aBible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?
7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my dword unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?
8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the atestimony of btwo nations is a cwitness unto you that I am God, that I remember one dnation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two enations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the asame yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my bwords according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one cword ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my dwork is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my awords; neither bneed ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.
11 For I command aall men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall bwrite the words which I speak unto them; for out of the cbooks which shall be written I will djudge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.
12 For behold, I shall speak unto the aJews and they shall bwrite it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall cwrite it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto dall nations of the earth and they shall write it.
13 And it shall come to pass that the aJews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the blost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.
14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the ahouse of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the blands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in cone. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my dpeople, who are of the ehouse of Israel, that I am God, and that I fcovenanted with gAbraham that I would remember his hseed iforever.
(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 29:3 - 14)

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I...I read/skimmed this whole thread in the course of a week.

My brain hurts...

:banghead3: