• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lazarus and the rich man.

Frank Goad

THE RICH MAN AND LAZARUS (Luke 16) IS NOT A PARABLE

In this website it says lazarus and the rich man is not a parable.

It says this toward the bottom of the webpage:

There are some who would object to this on the basis of this verse, "All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables, and without a parable he did not speak to them." (Matthew 13:34). Now looking back in Luke 16 it says, "Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard these things, and they derided him. And he said to them ... " (Luke 16:14-15). So the argument is that Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, and therefore he must have been speaking a parable. This is a failure to rightly divide the word of God on the subject, for if we look immediately before he spoke about the rich man and Lazarus, we see this:

(Luke16:18) "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery."

The parallel scriptures that go with this are Matthew 19:9 and Mark 10:11-12. We see that prior to these verses in Mark it says, "And in the house his disciples asked him again about the same matter." (Mark 10:10). So when he spoke the scripture in Luke 16:18 he was in the house talking to his disciples, not the Pharisees. After all, he was speaking plain language in Matthew 19:9, Mark 10:11-12, and Luke 16:18 so on the basis of their argument that he would only speak to the people in parables, he was not speaking to the Pharisees. Matthew confirms that after this statement about adultery (Matthew 19:9) he was speaking to his disciples; "His disciples said to him, ... But he said to them, ... ." (Matthew 19:10-11). So their argument to try and prove that this was a parable, on the basis that he was speaking to the Pharisees, is false.

If you want to know what the bible verses mean.Just click on them.And a information box will pop up.

Sorry If I have already posted this.

So do you agree or disagree with the website I found?:)

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
At Luke 16:14 Jesus 'IS' addressing the money-loving covetous Pharisees.
They are the 'rich man' at Luke 16:19
At Luke 16:18 the Pharisees did Not fulfill becoming Christ's figurative bride.
To be Christ's bride/wife they would first have to be released from the old Law.
The Constitution of the Mosaic Law (Luke 16:16) were until John. Jesus fulfilled the Law - Romans 10:4
So, Not by divorce but by Jesus' death ending that Mosaic Law contract.- Luke 16:31

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

There are some who would object to this on the basis of this verse, "All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables, and without a parable he did not speak to them." (Matthew 13:34). Now looking back in Luke 16 it says, "Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard these things, and they derided him. And he said to them ... " (Luke 16:14-15). So the argument is that Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, and therefore he must have been speaking a parable. This is a failure to rightly divide the word of God on the subject, for if we look immediately before he spoke about the rich man and Lazarus, we see this:

(Luke16:18) "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery."

The parallel scriptures that go with this are Matthew 19:9 and Mark 10:11-12. We see that prior to these verses in Mark it says, "And in the house his disciples asked him again about the same matter." (Mark 10:10). So when he spoke the scripture in Luke 16:18 he was in the house talking to his disciples, not the Pharisees. After all, he was speaking plain language in Matthew 19:9, Mark 10:11-12, and Luke 16:18 so on the basis of their argument that he would only speak to the people in parables, he was not speaking to the Pharisees. Matthew confirms that after this statement about adultery (Matthew 19:9) he was speaking to his disciples; "His disciples said to him, ... But he said to them, ... ." (Matthew 19:10-11). So their argument to try and prove that this was a parable, on the basis that he was speaking to the Pharisees, is false.

If you want to know what the bible verses mean.Just click on them.And a information box will pop up.

I'm curious to know how either the rich man or Lazarus knew each other after death, given that the Bible alleges that the dead know nothing, they'll have no further reward, and even their names are forgotten (Ecclesiastes 9:5). As I've stated in previous related posts (for example, here and here), I believe the Bible is riddled with contradictions, particularly regarding the afterlife and what happens to people after death. Not only do I believe that to be true as a former Christian, but also as a psychic medium with fifteen and a half years of personal experience speaking to and interacting with earthbound human spirits, some of whom have asked me where Jesus was and why they weren't in heaven yet. As I mentioned in another thread a few days ago (read it here), as a medium, I've discovered over the years that the Bible's teachings on what happens to people after death are dangerously incorrect and extremely misleading. I think it's a shame that the Bible's teachings about the afterlife have resulted in many human spirits being stuck in the physical world.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm curious to know how either the rich man or Lazarus knew each other after death, given that the Bible alleges that the dead know nothing, they'll have no further reward, and even their names are forgotten (Ecclesiastes 9:5). As I've stated in previous related posts (for example, here and here), I believe the Bible is riddled with contradictions, particularly regarding the afterlife and what happens to people after death. Not only do I believe that to be true as a former Christian, but also as a psychic medium with fifteen and a half years of personal experience speaking to and interacting with earthbound human spirits, some of whom have asked me where Jesus was and why they weren't in heaven yet. As I mentioned in another thread a few days ago (read it here), as a medium, I've discovered over the years that the Bible's teachings on what happens to people after death are dangerously incorrect and extremely misleading. I think it's a shame that the Bible's teachings about the afterlife have resulted in many human spirits being stuck in the physical world.
"the dead know nothing, they'll have no further reward" refers to the dead physical body, but after the physical body dies, the spirit (soul) leaves the body and takes on another form, a spiritual body, after which time the spirit (soul) knows everything it knew while in the physical body.

1 Corinthians 15:40-54 New Living Translation

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

54 Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die,[c] this Scripture will be fulfilled: “Death is swallowed up in victory.[d]

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Any website that says it is not a parable, lacks an understanding of what a parable is. A parable is any simple story that is told to illustration a spiritual point or moral lesson.

pearl

"In this website it says lazarus and the rich man is not a parable."

Most scholars would agree this is a parable.
The parable of the rich man and Lazarus again illustrates Luke’s concern with Jesus’ attitude toward the rich and the poor. The reversal of the fates of the rich man and Lazarus (Lk 16:2223) illustrates the teachings of Jesus in Luke’s “Sermon on the Plain” (Lk 6:2021, 2425).