• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lawlessness

F1fan

Veteran Member
Maybe you use the word fundamentalist to imply a negative connotation, I don’t know. When applied to Christians the word simply means those who believe in the basic fundamental truths of the Bible, which I do.
The basic truths tend not to be factual. That's a big reason why fundamentalism is regarded as causing problems for the rest of society.

I also wonder who the antichrist will be, but I don’t believe I will be here when that person is fully revealed and rises to power . Yes, there has been plenty of speculation, I doubt it’s the UN Secretary-General... but don’t know.
I think it is fundamentalist Christians themselves. Look how many are actively opposed to the very things Jesus advocated for, namely charity and decency. Anti-Christ is an apt label.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I definitely agree that with the way things are now it’s difficult to see people or governments coming together in any kind of unified way.

Let’s just say though the rapture of the church occurs and millions of believers worldwide are suddenly gone; relatives, friends etc., as well as all young children, including those in the womb. Do you think there would be the possibility of everyone being so freaked out they would be ready to fall into line and listen to someone who rises up to provide answers and leadership?
I always thought the Protestant Evangelical belief in the "rapture" to be silly. Why should you believe that you will get a "get out of suffering free" card when your lord and his earliest famous followers died torturous, horrific deaths? It doesn't fit with traditional Christianity or the philosophy of the Bible at all. Yahweh makes it rain on the righteous and unrighteous alike (Matthew 5:45). Remember Job, too. Yahweh likes to prove his followers' mettle by having them suffer and be refined through it.

(In less charitable words: as long as you love and submit to this deity in the end, as he craves, he will reward you after you die even though your earthly life is a total shambles because of it. He craves ego gratification and won't even give you a straight answer as he declined poor Job of one as he suffered.)

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Maybe you use the word fundamentalist to imply a negative connotation, I don’t know. When applied to Christians the word simply means those who believe in the basic fundamental truths of the Bible, which I do.
I also wonder who the antichrist will be, but I don’t believe I will be here when that person is fully revealed and rises to power . Yes, there has been plenty of speculation, I doubt it’s the UN Secretary-General... but don’t know.
Yeah, it's a bit wacky. In fact, the concept of antiChrist, or even Antichrist, doesn't seem to refer clearly to any one individual but to a category of people. The way I read it, such people are potentially always with us.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And which or who are the Christians persecuting or encroaching on the rights and freedoms of others?
The long history of Christianity largely had almost no tolerance for people of other faiths or even other Christian denominations, and they were all too willing to use violence, whether they be Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox. That's the "bad news", but the "good news" is that's become much more rare in today's world.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You are certainly entitled to your view. I just think it’s rather reckless. Heaven’s Gate was a twisted take inspired by Satan, just like the Jim Jones situation. Satan is clever at taking the scriptures and adding a malevolent twist to distract or even kill people so they miss God’s truth.
How do you know Satan hasn't got his hooks into you and misled you?

InChrist

Free4ever
I always thought the Protestant Evangelical belief in the "rapture" to be silly. Why should you believe that you will get a "get out of suffering free" card when your lord and his earliest famous followers died torturous, horrific deaths? It doesn't fit with traditional Christianity or the philosophy of the Bible at all. Yahweh makes it rain on the righteous and unrighteous alike (Matthew 5:45). Remember Job, too. Yahweh likes to prove his followers' mettle by having them suffer and be refined through it.

(In less charitable words: as long as you love and submit to this deity in the end, as he craves, he will reward you after you die even though your earthly life is a total shambles because of it. He craves ego gratification and won't even give you a straight answer as he declined poor Job of one as he suffered.)
The rapture is not a get out of suffering ticket. As you pointed out Christians have suffered in various ways and places throughout history. Instead, the rapture is Jesus calling His Bride, the church, home to heaven before judgement comes upon the earth. What reason would God have to pour out judgement on the Bride of Christ, those who have already repented and placed their faith in Christ Jesus as their Savior? None, so the church will be removed before the Antichrist and judgement of Revelation take place. That’s what I see in the scriptures.

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 1 Corinthians 15:50-52

Wandering Monk

It appears, as the Bible indicates (Matthew 24:12) lawlessness is growing in the last days...

“On average, thieves are stealing more than 100 million dollars worth of merchandise from our retailers every single day. Just think about that. I have written extensively about the shoplifting epidemic that is plaguing this country, but even I didn’t know that things had gotten that bad. Sadly, much of the thievery is being committed by highly organized gangs of looters. “

In Some Parts Of America, Looting Has Become A Way Of Life | ZeroHedge

A prime example of recency bias.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yeah, it's a bit wacky. In fact, the concept of antiChrist, or even Antichrist, doesn't seem to refer clearly to any one individual but to a category of people. The way I read it, such people are potentially always with us.
Yes, I think you are correct that the spirit of antichrist is always present and can be manifested in various individuals or even groups. Probably Hitler and the Nazis were such an example. I do think the biblical scriptures foretell of a final Antichrist whose reign and impact will be on a global scale. Just what I see in the Bible.

InChrist

Free4ever
The long history of Christianity largely had almost no tolerance for people of other faiths or even other Christian denominations, and they were all too willing to use violence, whether they be Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox. That's the "bad news", but the "good news" is that's become much more rare in today's world.
Yes, that’s the bad news and certainly wasn’t an accurate representation of Jesus Christ. Especially bad when organized religious groups aligned with those in political power.
Yet, there have been those throughout history who were faithful to Christ alone. I think of Amy Carmichael, Hudson Taylor, George Mueller , David Livingston and others who demonstrated the love of Christ and were loved by those they served.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The rapture is not a get out of suffering ticket. As you pointed out Christians have suffered in various ways and places throughout history. Instead, the rapture is Jesus calling His Bride, the church, home to heaven before judgement comes upon the earth. What reason would God have to pour out judgement on the Bride of Christ, those who have already repented and placed their faith in Christ Jesus as their Savior? None, so the church will be removed before the Antichrist and judgement of Revelation take place. That’s what I see in the scriptures.

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 1 Corinthians 15:50-52
I think your explanation here illustrates the problem of literalist Christianity. None of this makes any sense. This is more absurd than the Jesus myth of sacrifice and salvation. This is more detail of the Rube Goldberg theology that Fundamentalism has promoted over the 19th and 20th centuries. From the hundreds of failed End Times predictions since year 1000 to Creationism in schools to the fake "pro-life" movement it's been a disaster of belief.

I suggest Christianity would work much better air the concepts were treated and interpreted as symbolic.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think your explanation here illustrates the problem of literalist Christianity. None of this makes any sense. This is more absurd than the Jesus myth of sacrifice and salvation. This is more detail of the Rube Goldberg theology that Fundamentalism has promoted over the 19th and 20th centuries. From the hundreds of failed End Times predictions since year 1000 to Creationism in schools to the fake "pro-life" movement it's been a disaster of belief.

I suggest Christianity would work much better air the concepts were treated and interpreted as symbolic.
You are more than welcome to have your own view on how the scriptures are to be interpreted. Symbolic interpretation is fine when that is the intent of the writing, but I will let the scriptures speak for themselves and accept the plain, straightforward literal truth when that is the logical point of the passage. I’m more interested in what God is saying than whether you think it’s absurd.

Wandering Monk

You are more than welcome to have your own view on how the scriptures are to be interpreted. Symbolic interpretation is fine when that is the intent of the writing, but I will let the scriptures speak for themselves and accept the plain, straightforward literal truth when that is the logical point of the passage. I’m more interested in what God is saying than whether you think it’s absurd.

Of course, you begin with the assumption that God actually exists and that your Bible is actually his words to humanity.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, that’s the bad news and certainly wasn’t an accurate representation of Jesus Christ. Especially bad when organized religious groups aligned with those in political power.
Yet, there have been those throughout history who were faithful to Christ alone. I think of Amy Carmichael, Hudson Taylor, George Mueller , David Livingston and others who demonstrated the love of Christ and were loved by those they served.
I agree, but let me also add that there are many different areas that also relate to being pro-life, such as capital punishment, abortion, climate change, racism, poverty, gun control, etc. As for myself, I'm pro-life across that entire spectrum.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I suggest literal interpretation is only appropriate when the texts are consistent with facts and reality. That means very little of the Bible should be interpreted literally by a wise and rational mind.

Of course religions will teach to interpret the Bible any way their tradition dictates, which is very broad and varies greatly. There is little agreement among Christian sects from the liberal to the fundamentalist extremes.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I agree, but let me also add that there are many different areas that also relate to being pro-life, such as capital punishment, abortion, climate change, racism, poverty, gun control, etc. As for myself, I'm pro-life across that entire spectrum.
So you agree the USA should have universal healthcare?