• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lawlessness

InChrist

Free4ever
It appears, as the Bible indicates (Matthew 24:12) lawlessness is growing in the last days...

“On average, thieves are stealing more than 100 million dollars worth of merchandise from our retailers every single day. Just think about that. I have written extensively about the shoplifting epidemic that is plaguing this country, but even I didn’t know that things had gotten that bad. Sadly, much of the thievery is being committed by highly organized gangs of looters. “

In Some Parts Of America, Looting Has Become A Way Of Life | ZeroHedge

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It appears, as the Bible indicates (Matthew 24:12) lawlessness is growing in the last days...

“On average, thieves are stealing more than 100 million dollars worth of merchandise from our retailers every single day. Just think about that. I have written extensively about the shoplifting epidemic that is plaguing this country, but even I didn’t know that things had gotten that bad. Sadly, much of the thievery is being committed by highly organized gangs of looters. “

I suspect there have been days in the past with greater lawlessness. Lots of rape, murder, pillage etc...
I wouldn't get your hopes for a End Times just yet.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

According to an FBI analysis several decades ago, there's four times more money ripped of with white-collar crime each year than with street crime. However, I don't know if this still is true, but in the "age of Trump", it wouldn't surprise me one iota if it was actually higher now.

InChrist

Free4ever
I suspect there have been days in the past with greater lawlessness. Lots of rape, murder, pillage etc...
I wouldn't get your hopes for a End Times just yet.
I’m not denying there’s been abundant lawlessness throughout history. It appears to be becoming more blatant and out in the open now.
Don’t have my hope in the end time, just think it’s a wise idea to be aware.

InChrist

Free4ever
According to an FBI analysis several decades ago, there's four times more money ripped of with white-collar crime each year than with street crime. However, I don't know if this still is true, but in the "age of Trump", it wouldn't surprise me one iota if it was actually higher now.
Then the white collar crime is another indication of growing lawlessness.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
"Then they will hand you over to be tortured and will put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name. Then many will fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because of the increase of lawlessness, the love of many will grow cold."

Something tells me this ain't happening. Religious freedom has greatly increased with time globally, not decreased.

InChrist

Free4ever
Isn't it a bit morbid to hope for the End Times; according to the same book 30% of world's population is supposed to be slaughtered in gigantic conflict during those events.
Not “hoping” for the end times, but at some point it will occur. Jesus stated the importance of watching and praying.

InChrist

Free4ever
"Then they will hand you over to be tortured and will put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name. Then many will fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because of the increase of lawlessness, the love of many will grow cold."

Something tells me this ain't happening. Religious freedom has greatly increased with time globally, not decreased.
When Jesus spoke those words, it wasn’t too long after that the early Christians suffered severe persecution. It also appears that once the Antichrist, world ruler emerges he will again persecute and kill Christians and Jews.
True in the interim, there has been more religious freedom.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The fascination of extremist Christianity with doomsday and persecution narratives, even when extremist Christians are the ones persecuting others and encroaching on their rights and freedoms, seems to me one of the most notably archaic and harmful aspects thereof.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
When Jesus spoke those words, it wasn’t too long after that the early Christians suffered severe persecution.

Then in context it's clear the author wasn't talking about the current time period.

It also appears that once the Antichrist, world ruler emerges he will again persecute and kill Christians and Jews.

Then it appears that you'd still believe in these prophecies even if the current spate of petty theft wasn't happening. :shrug: You'd just say the "lawlessness" will happen later.

InChrist

Free4ever
The fascination of extremist Christianity with doomsday and persecution narratives, even when extremist Christians are the ones persecuting others and encroaching on their rights and freedoms, seems to me one of the most notably archaic and harmful aspects thereof.
What do you mean by extremists?
And which or who are the Christians persecuting or encroaching on the rights and freedoms of others?

Lain

As a (particular sort of) preterist I think all of Matthew 24 is fulfilled when the Lord Jesus destroyed Earthly Jerusalem, that is, Sodom and Egypt, in 70AD. But yeah times aren't the best in the world now. I think that because I only expect it to get better. "The curve of history bends toward righteousness" or something. All said in my opinion of course.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Looking at US trends, it would appear to suggest the End Times are becoming less likely, using your logic...

USA - reported larceny-theft rate 2020 | Statista

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean by extremists?

Those who believe their religion should be imposed on others and/or hold and support beliefs that are homophobic, sexist, etc.

And which or who are the Christians persecuting or encroaching on the rights and freedoms of others?

Historically? Too many to list in one post. Currently? One can start by looking at the Catholic Church and its policies on LGBT rights and reproductive health and rights as well as the decades-long, destructive effects of said policies.

And then we have Evangelical theocrats such as those increasingly populating the ranks of the GOP and attempting to impose their beliefs on others via law.

InChrist

Free4ever
Then in context it's clear the author wasn't talking about the current time period.

Then it appears that you'd still believe in these prophecies even if the current spate of petty theft wasn't happening. :shrug: You'd just say the "lawlessness" will happen later.
I think the passage with Jesus speaking is what is considered a double prophetic passage of scripture, meaning it would have immediate or near future fulfillment, as well as distant future fulfillment.

I believe the lawlessness spoken of in the passage is applicable and occurring at present because there are also a number of other prophetic signs converging.

InChrist

Free4ever
Those who believe their religion should be imposed on others and/or hold and support beliefs that are homophobic, sexist, etc.

Historically? Too many to list in one post. Currently? One can start by looking at the Catholic Church and its policies on LGBT rights and reproductive health and rights as well as the decades-long, destructive effects of said policies.

And then we have Evangelical theocrats such as those increasingly populating the ranks of the GOP and attempting to impose their beliefs on others via law.
Okay, well I agree with you that the organized Christian religion has committed a lot of harm and I think tarnished the name of Jesus Christ. Personally, I don’t consider the organization of the Catholic Church to actually be authentic Christianity, with their brutal history. As well, many evangelicals. For the most part, I do not believe morality can be legislated, but that Christ alone can change hearts and minds.
Nevertheless, although there has been hypocrisy or misrepresentation by Christians or organizations, I don’t see that as nullifying the prophetic scriptures or the truth that the end times will at some point take place and Jesus said to watch and pray.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What on Earth is the source of this paranoid lunacy?
It sounds like someone really needs psychiatric help.