• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law allowing men accused of sex with underage girls to get off if they marry their victims in Turkey

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Each case on its own merit.
A 22 yr old mate of mine went out with a 15yr old girl. When she reached 16yrs they married. That was back in 1970, and now they are still together.

Open minds is best.
I have a coworker who at 18 got together with a 16 year old boy. She suffered years of domestic abuse and her mental scars are obvious to those around her.
Bad things can happen.
Good things can happen.

I might turn a blind eye to a person in their very early 20s dating someone in their late teens. I think the legal rule here is no more than a 7 year age gap, for those below 18. (Where I live the legal age for consent, at least for sex, is 16 btw.)
Fine, we shouldn’t be so strict as to disallow two people of roughly the same age dating. But teen marriage? Much older men grooming young girls and marrying them?
That’s going to get a hard yikes from me.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have a coworker who at 18 got together with a 16 year old boy. She suffered years of domestic abuse and her mental scars are obvious to those around her.
Bad things can happen.
Good things can happen.

I might turn a blind eye to a person in their very early 20s dating someone in their late teens. I think the legal rule here is no more than a 7 year age gap, for those below 18. (Where I live the legal age for consent, at least for sex, is 16 btw.)
Fine, we shouldn’t be so strict as to disallow two people of roughly the same age dating. But teen marriage? Much older men grooming young girls and marrying them?
That’s going to get a hard yikes from me.
My wife is 19 years younger than me.
She was 24 when she asked me out at 43.
We put up with the comments of others and now she is 52 and I am 73, and yet we still get negative comments from self righteous judgemental folks. The last buffoon to shout his opinion about us over a wedding reception table has been married three times. :D
When you find such love it's best to brave the world and hang on hard to it for dear life, because it only comes along just once on a lifetime, or that is my opinion.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife is 19 years younger than me.
She was 24 when she asked me out at 43.
We put up with the comments of others and now she is 52 and I am 73, and yet we still get negative comments from self righteous judgemental folks. The last buffoon to shout his opinion about us over a wedding reception table has been married three times. :D
When you find such love it's best to brave the world and hang on hard to it for dear life, because it only comes along just once on a lifetime, or that is my opinion.
My father was 30 years older than my mum, who was in her 30s when she married him. Age difference is nothing I really condemn. People find it weird, but whatever.
Age difference is fine. But I still would not tolerate like a 30 something trying to date a 15 year old. Just because I tend to mind my own business, doesn’t mean I won’t throw caution to the wind either.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My father was 30 years older than my mum, who was in her 30s when she married him. Age difference is nothing I really condemn. People find it weird, but whatever.
Age difference is fine. But I still would not tolerate like a 30 something trying to date a 15 year old. Just because I tend to mind my own business, doesn’t mean I won’t throw caution to the wind either.

My Grandmother was 20 years younger than my Grandfather.

Yes. 30/15 is criminal where I live.