• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laurel Hubbard Fails to Complete a Single Lift in the Olympics

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Laurel Hubbard has failed to complete a single lift in the Olympics, arguably providing a real-world demonstration that her being transgendered was not advantageous in any notable way as a participant in women's weightlifting, at least in the Olympics:

The article said:
New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard has made history by becoming the first transgender athlete to compete at the Olympic Games - but fell well short of a podium finish as she could not complete a lift.

Competing in the over-87kg category in Tokyo, Hubbard overbalanced on her opening weight of 120kg, taking the bar behind her shoulders.

Her second attempt of 125kg was ruled invalid on a majority decision by the referees.

The third try was similar to the first, ruling Hubbard out of medal contention.

Tokyo Olympics: Transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard makes history - but fails to complete a lift

In your opinion, does this prove that her participation in women's weightlifting wasn't unfair at the end of the day, or did her failure in the competition occur despite a physical advantage?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Maybe it's just the fact that I don't really give a damn about sports, but the whole fear of transgender people performing in sports seems kind of... miniscule compared to very real problems we are dealing with in the world right now. Is that just me? Is it somehow actually a bigger deal than I think it is? o_O

I mean... Are we worried about trans women replacing biological women much like what happened when black people started to be more prevalent in sports vs. white athletes? Did that have an adverse effect in sports? Maybe we should segregate black and white people since there seems to be a performance difference, eh?...

...Or, maybe this is just more BS from people who don't like the idea of change.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Laurel Hubbard has failed to complete a single lift in the Olympics, arguably providing a real-world demonstration that her being transgendered was not advantageous in any notable way as a participant in women's weightlifting, at least in the Olympics:

Tokyo Olympics: Transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard makes history - but fails to complete a lift

In your opinion, does this prove that her participation in women's weightlifting wasn't unfair at the end of the day, or did her failure in the competition occur despite a physical advantage?
What bearing would her performance have on fairness?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What bearing would her performance have on fairness?

The most common argument I've seen is that if she retains any of her physical advantages from being born male, then it is unfair for her to participate in women's sports.

I don't have a definitive opinion on this myself because I believe the evidence is currently inconclusive.

Jeremiah Ames

everyone is unique

she did what she could

it would be nice if the world could remove the transgender label from her

imo

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
meanwhile the olympics banned several real women for having high testosterone, all black from Africa

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
meanwhile the olympics banned several real women for having high testosterone, all black from Africa

What do you mean by "real women"? In your view, does Laurel Hubbard's being transgendered make her any less of a "real woman," whatever that is supposed to mean?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

That's kinda begging the question, though.
I'd simply say '1 lifter is a small sample size to draw any scientific conclusions from', and remain as confused as ever by this issue.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Fixed?

Who knows?

It sounds suspicious that a plan was concocted to throw the medal to validate things.

How could that even happen, if that was the case this would of been rather apparent in practices and noted that the event would be a no go long before the big day.

Not saying it was the case but that is how it looks to me.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Fixed?

Who knows?

It sounds suspicious that a plan was concocted to throw the medal to validate things.

How could that even happen, if that was the case this would of been rather apparent in practices and noted that the event would be a no go long before the big day.

Not saying it was the case but that is how it looks to me.

I have major doubts that an athlete would intentionally throw away an opportunity to win an Olympic medal just to make a point that she might or might not even manage to make by losing. Consequently, I see no convincing reason or evidence to buy into the conspiracy theory... as usual.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have major doubts that an athlete would intentionally throw away an opportunity to win an Olympic medal just to make a point that she might or might not even manage to make by losing. Consequently, I see no convincing reason or evidence to buy into the conspiracy theory... as usual.
I do wonder how this was ever missed in training practices.

I'm just entertaining possibilities.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Time to hang up the weights and enter a beauty pagent. What a gal!
I'm surprised at some of the transitions.
They don't turn out well IMO.
But clearly, I don't understand how compelling it must be for them.

As for the weightlifting, I suspect distraction by controversy
is the reason for 3 failed lifts. She managed to compete
just 2 years ago.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a no win situation for transwomen athletes. If they preform well, it's attributed to 'unfair advantages' which I still maintain is as arbitrary and meaningless as banning players over a certain height in basketball.

If they don't do well, it's because they threw the match or they were just an exception to the rule.

Either way they will be under bad faith scrutiny.

All the meanwhile the Olympics is rife with child abuse, human trafficking, corrupt judges, vast waste of land and materials, and all sorts of problems that should have ended the event years ago.