• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laugh at your own ego

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I can't recall exactly where I read it but it is wise advice however few people manage it.

Has taken me many years and a whole LOT of suffering ...

Sometimes the only sane response is laughter.

Enjoy your day!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I am far, far too important of a person to laugh at himself. Far too important. Everyone says so.

Some time ago, I used to laugh at myself, but then I took inspiration from Ayn Rand, who once said, "The worst evil that you can do, psychologically, is to laugh at yourself. That means spitting in your own face." Since she was such a wise person, a person so worthy of the hundreds of thousands of followers she has in America today, I reason that what she said about laughing at oneself cannot possibly have been the ridiculous opinion of a simpleton, but rather must have been the wisdom of a sage. Hence, I in all manner of things have sought to emulate her in order to lead the good life.

And that has made me very important to myself. Far too important to laugh at myself. Everyone says it has made me far too important to myself. Everyone agrees.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I am far, far too important of a person to laugh at himself. Far too important. Everyone says so.
Some time ago, I used to laugh at myself, but then I took inspiration from Ayn Rand, who once said, "The worst evil that you can do, psychologically, is to laugh at yourself. That means spitting in your own face." Since she was such a wise person, a person so worthy of the hundreds of thousands of followers she has in America today, I reason that what she said about laughing at oneself cannot possibly have been the ridiculous opinion of a simpleton, but rather must have been the wisdom of a sage. Hence, I in all manner of things have sought to emulate her in order to lead the good life.
And that has made me very important to myself. Far too important to laugh at myself. Everyone says it has made me far too important to myself. Everyone agrees.

If you actually believed what you posted the next time you put your trousers on you will probably trip and hit your head on the bookshelf and then accidentally shart yourself, the universe has a funny way of sorting things out.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If you actually believed what you posted the next time you put your trousers on you will probably trip and hit your head on the bookshelf and then accidentally shart yourself, the universe has a funny way of sorting things out.
Pssst. @Sunstone is a master of sarcasm. :) In other words, he was using a literary device to make a point, humorously.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's a reason it's called being "deadly" serious. No less a personage than Kabir had this to say (excerpted). Of course, I'm wearing sewn cloth, still horny, angry, greedy and especially proud of myself for my understanding of what's going on inside me.

Friend, please tell me what I can do about this world
I hold on to, and keep spinning out!

I gave up sewn clothes, and wore a robe,
But I noticed one day the cloth was well woven.

So I bought some burlap, but I still
Throw it elegantly over my left shoulder.

I pulled back my sexual longings,
And now I discover that I’m angry a lot.

I gave up rage, and now I notice
That I’m greedy all day.

I worked hard at dissolving the greed,
And now I’m proud of myself.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

In the famous words of John Patrick McEnroe:

"You CANNOT be serious!"

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There's a reason it's called being "deadly" serious. No less a personage than Kabir had this to say (excerpted). Of course, I'm wearing sewn cloth, still horny, angry, greedy and especially proud of myself for my understanding of what's going on inside me.

Thanks for sharing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Indeed. The poor maligned ego isn't the problem. Egotistical tendencies and egotism are the real culprits.
When you can laugh at yourself you are making progress.

In that case, I MUST be fully enlightened because I find my egoo hilarious!

:)