• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latter Day Saints Question

arw_123

Hi, I was just looking at one of the LDS websites and I was reading up about eternal marriages and families.
I just have a couple questions that I couldn't find the answer to: What happens to someone after eternity if they are divorced? Are they divorced in eternity too?
If they have been re married different times are they going to be married to each ex and current spouse in eternity or just the one they were married to when they passed on?

Thanks for the help!

Amanda

dallas1125

Covert Operative
I am not positive about this but this is my quick 2 cents on it.

They are divorced in eternity. If they were divorced, they wont be married to each ex, just the one that they are "currently" with. There are many different outcomes and such, so it is hard to know every little detail. Ill just leave that till were there and worry about life here. Not saying that we shouldnt think about it, but our time here will be nothing compared to after.

silvermoon383

Just being married isn't enough to be an eternal marriage. An eternal marriage is done in the temple as an ordinance (an ordinance is something like the sacrament/communion, blessings, baptisms, things like that), and that ordinance is called a sealing. A sealing can be dissolved, and that would mean they won't be together in eternities.

If a couple that had been divorced but not had their sealing dissolved then technically they are still sealed, but I can't imagine that a dissolution wouldn't be available.

ripplecutbuddha

LDS Newbie..to this *****
As far as my understanding goes (and I'm a lifetime LDS) The only time a sealing is broken is when the ex wife or ex husband seeks to be sealed to another spouse. Even then, the request must be approved by the First Presidency before it can be acted upon.

As such, it's tough to give a single answer, as each individual situation is examined closely before a decision is made. Some temple sealings are broken, for various reasons, and other times they are not broken, for still other reasons.