• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Days

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Yup it's me with another thought experiment. Because I like them.
1. It turns out all of the belief sets are wrong. Atheism is wrong because there is an immortal, but also right because this person does not fit any classical definitions of a deity (ummm, something like a human or near-human with regenerative capabilities, some sort of cosmic magic of a non-omnipotent level and/or some future tech).
2. This person's name is ummm Emily, and she looks like a girl of about 15. She goes to school, like other kids her age. But everytime she graduates, anyone who sees something funny just mysteriously stops thinking about it.
3. She may or may not have created the universe. She may or may not be part of a race or group of other immortals. Basically, this girl can be as much like God (theism) or not as the thought experiment requires. The only main requirement is that she comes from a world outside ours, has lived a long time, and...
4. She knows the Earth is going to end soon. In fact, in one week, asteroids, demons, whatever (you get to pick) are going to ravage the Earth leaving it a broken shell. Because her immortality in this world may depend on human mortality, when she leaves anyone who stays may be immortal, but will then have to live forever in a harsh climate.
5. You can leave or stay. However, it is not certain whether the place you go to is any better than Earth as it is now, nor isit certain that people living there are immortal (see above, it's possible she's some sort of life force parasite). It is only certain that the current Earth and this new world are better than the crappy ruined Earth.
6. If you wish to stay, you have to plan out how you are going to live in the world without her. Everything from figuring out food to anything you can think of you'd need in this world. Of course, rather than being ruined, the Earth may instead be destroyed.
7. If you leave, she's only taking you if you figure out how to be ready. This means determining what to do with your last week on Earth.

So this challenge has no real right answer, because her intentions and values are not known, because it is not known just how habitable this world is after the last days, and because it is not known what this new world is like.

You have options to decide the nature of this being (including whether she is a fraud or figment of your imagination), exactly how the world ends, (cool, huh?) and yor choice. But it's not reversible.

Ayjaydee

1. It turns out all of the belief sets are wrong. Atheism is wrong because there is an immortal, but also right because this person does not fit any classical definitions of a deity (ummm, something like a human or near-human with regenerative capabilities, some sort of cosmic magic of a non-omnipotent level and/or some future tech).
2. This person's name is ummm Emily, and she looks like a girl of about 15. She goes to school, like other kids her age. But everytime she graduates, anyone who sees something funny just mysteriously stops thinking about it.
3. She may or may not have created the universe. She may or may not be part of a race or group of other immortals. Basically, this girl can be as much like God (theism) or not as the thought experiment requires. The only main requirement is that she comes from a world outside ours, has lived a long time, and...
4. She knows the Earth is going to end soon. In fact, in one week, asteroids, demons, whatever (you get to pick) are going to ravage the Earth leaving it a broken shell. Because her immortality in this world may depend on human mortality, when she leaves anyone who stays may be immortal, but will then have to live forever in a harsh climate.
5. You can leave or stay. However, it is not certain whether the place you go to is any better than Earth as it is now, nor isit certain that people living there are immortal (see above, it's possible she's some sort of life force parasite). It is only certain that the current Earth and this new world are better than the crappy ruined Earth.
6. If you wish to stay, you have to plan out how you are going to live in the world without her. Everything from figuring out food to anything you can think of you'd need in this world. Of course, rather than being ruined, the Earth may instead be destroyed.
7. If you leave, she's only taking you if you figure out how to be ready. This means determining what to do with your last week on Earth.

So this challenge has no real right answer, because her intentions and values are not known, because it is not known just how habitable this world is after the last days, and because it is not known what this new world is like.

You have options to decide the nature of this being (including whether she is a fraud or figment of your imagination), exactly how the world ends, (cool, huh?) and yor choice. But it's not reversible.
Irrelevant to me.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Puff, puff....pass

Samantha Rinne

Irrelevant to me.

But but how could it be irrelevant?

It's basically a Noah's Ark scenario. Supposing she's right (there are a great deal of unknowns here), how could you completely ignore it?

I could see, maybe ignoring her tho. It's relevant because she manages to tell like 90% of the population about this event (indigenous tribes are hard to reach, but she mails this notice to the rest and hijacks all TV for one day). Do you live in remote regions of the Amazon?

Passing is an option though. It's basically choosing to stay put.

--------------------

I'd basically become caught up in the challenge of preparing. I'd spend me whole time trying to finish my book, so if good deeds were the real requirement, I'd miss the boat. Or I'd become depressed and decide something crazy.

Last edited:

Ayjaydee

But but how could it be irrelevant?

It's basically a Noah's Ark scenario. Supposing she's right (there are a great deal of unknowns here), how could you completely ignore it?

I could see, maybe ignoring her tho. It's relevant because she manages to tell like 90% of the population about this event (indigenous tribes are hard to reach, but she mails this notice to the rest and hijacks all TV for one day). Do you live in remote regions of the Amazon?

Passing is an option though. It's basically choosing to stay put.

--------------------

I'd basically become caught up in the challenge of preparing. I'd spend me whole time trying to finish my book, so if good deeds were the real requirement, I'd miss the boat. Or I'd become depressed and decide something crazy.
Better to call her bluff. She is irrelevant to me. It's no different than what an agnostic decides to do about planning for the afterlife!

Samantha Rinne

Ah okay. She insists up and down when you challenge her that the world really is ending, but ultimately she has to move on to other people.

Maybe something happens next week at this time, maybe it doesn't.

Life's uncertain that way!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Eh. **** Happens. ;0)