• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop issue

Kerr

Hi all.

Having some problems with my laptop. Basically I noticed a line at the top of the screen and it worried me, so I went to a computer guy and he told me the screen is dying (more specifically there is a wire that is loose, but not completely loose). He told me it can still function for some time if I refrain from moving it. Like I have to treat my laptop as a desktop. In any case, my screen sometimes randomly goes black. But if I restart it, it comes back to normal. I also have two operating systems, Ubuntu and Windows. It happened all the time in Ubuntu but not that much in Windows.

Trying right now to use it without a battery to see if that makes a difference (had a similar problem a few years back with it, and then it was the battery that somehow made the screen go black). Hoping it makes a difference, but it might take a while before I know for sure. My question is basically, do you guys think the screen randomly going black and the screen being dying are related? Or can it be something else?

Having to buy a new computer might ruin me because I have no job and hence, a terrible economy. Repairing it is apparently expensive as hell so I cant do that either.

Take care,
Kerr

Kerr

Hi all.

Having some problems with my laptop. Basically I noticed a line at the top of the screen and it worried me, so I went to a computer guy and he told me the screen is dying (more specifically there is a wire that is loose, but not completely loose). He told me it can still function for some time if I refrain from moving it. Like I have to treat my laptop as a desktop. In any case, my screen sometimes randomly goes black. But if I restart it, it comes back to normal. I also have two operating systems, Ubuntu and Windows. It happened all the time in Ubuntu but not that much in Windows.

Trying right now to use it without a battery to see if that makes a difference (had a similar problem a few years back with it, and then it was the battery that somehow made the screen go black). Hoping it makes a difference, but it might take a while before I know for sure. My question is basically, do you guys think the screen randomly going black and the screen being dying are related? Or can it be something else?

Having to buy a new computer might ruin me because I have no job and hence, a terrible economy. Repairing it is apparently expensive as hell so I cant do that either.

Take care,
Kerr
Also it mostly happens in windows when I am playing games. Might be a driver issue then, it just strikes me as an odd coincidence that it happens in Ubuntu as well.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Appease the machine spirit with offerings!

Or check that the backlight isn't playing up. Happened with my laptop.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Update your video drivers.

Go to Control Panel
Open the Device Manager
Click the little + button beside Display adapters
Right-click whatever comes up there (this is your video hardware) and click "Update Driver Software"

Hope that helps.

Kerr

I updated my drivers and it appears to work better. Just have to see if it works in Skyrim now.