• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laos Christians Face Crisis As Government Bans Bibles

Sabio

Laos Christians Face Crisis As Government Bans Bibles

Monday, August 15, 2005
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent BosNewsLife reporting from Laos

NAM TEE, LAOS (BosNewsLife)-- A lack of Bibles and Christian literature in Laos is now becoming "the biggest threat" to rapidly growing Christian communities in rural areas of the Communist Asian nation, evangelical leaders said Wednesday, August 10.

The Communist government? imposed restrictions on the distribution of Bibles effected villages near the border with Thailand, where churches experience unprecedented growth, BosNewsLife established.

Page printed from:
http://www.worthynews.com/christian-persecution/laos-bans-bibles.html

Sabio

michel said:
oh, great!:(
If you've read many of the articles I've posted lately it should be pretty obvious that the Asian/Middle Eastern countries and their "eastern" religions are not very tolerant of Christianity, although we here in the West are expected to give them full religious freedom and tolerance....

IMHO

Sabio

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sabio said:
If you've read many of the articles I've posted lately it should be pretty obvious that the Asian/Middle Eastern countries and their "eastern" religions are not very tolerant of Christianity, although we here in the West are expected to give them full religious freedom and tolerance....
Err... When was it suggested that we give them full religious freedom and tolerance?
I don't give any group that would harm another based on their beliefs (as long as those beliefs didn't hurt anyone, themselves included) my tolerance.

Sabio

FeathersinHair said:
Err... When was it suggested that we give them full religious freedom and tolerance?
I don't give any group that would harm another based on their beliefs (as long as those beliefs didn't hurt anyone, themselves included) my tolerance.
I don't recall ever hearing of any Laotians in the US being deprived of their religious beliefs or and acts of violence being committed against them...

Sabio

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Do you actually mean that ? Are not Muslims welcomed in America, and allowed to practice islam ?:confused:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think we need to make a very important distinction between Islam and extremists when reading accounts like these.

Sabio

Maize said:
I think we need to make a very important distinction between Islam and extremists when reading accounts like these.
Extremist Muslim Governments and Religious authorities?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
michel said:
Do you actually mean that ? Are not Muslims welcomed in America, and allowed to practice islam ?:confused:
I'm sorry. As Maize clarifies below, there's a huge gap between Muslim extremists and Muslims, just as I percieve there being a huge gap between Christian extremists and Christians.

And the Laotians are not a religious group. Furthermore, I hope that no one would suggest attacking them or their beliefs based on the actions of a few.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
That goes without saying. I know a family of extremely devout Muslims, who live not far from here, and to whom I would afford the same courtesy as I would to other Christians. I take your point, Maize, although I think this is an ideal time to demonstrate our own open mindedness. Teaching can only be done through example.:)

Sabio

FeathersinHair said:
I'm sorry. As Maize clarifies below, there's a huge gap between Muslim extremists and Muslims, just as I percieve there being a huge gap between Christian extremists and Christians.

And the Laotians are not a religious group. Furthermore, I hope that no one would suggest attacking them or their beliefs based on the actions of a few.
I think that the Eastern nations can take a few lessons and learn religious tolerance from the west...

No one is suggesting attacking Laotians, most of them in the west are here because they fled oppressive govt and religious hierarchy in their own country.

Sabio

Named

Sabio said:

IMHO

Sabio
How easily you forget the persecution, cruelty and all-around hardship Christianity has imposed ON these Asian nations in the past. What do you expect, honestly, what on Earth would you expect from anyone? A smile and a wave?
Really...

Christians stormed into many nations and cultures of fragile social structures, with RECKLESS disregard, destroying so many ways of life by spreading a false hope to the bottom class, the masses. Are you not aware of this history? I can use almost any nation throughout all of Asia to exemplify this, but let's take Japan, a 'civil' nation.
The Jesuit's caused 100s of thousands of deaths in Feudal Japan, converting those of the low social standing to Christianity, with no THOUGHT or care for the consequences. They were -executed-, but I suppose that doesn't matter, right? At least they'll go to HEAVEN, yeah?

Long story short, Feudal Japan is dead to the world, like so many other unique ways of life before it. *shrugs*

Yeah, I suppose people have a tendency to hold GRUDGES.:tsk:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
np
TheJedi said:
christianity has done much bad and little to repent for it. What goes around comes around:rolleyes:
Which doesn't mean that Christians, their holy books, or their religion should be persecuted. (I would argue that they've also done much good, at least as much as that of other faiths.) Discriminating against a faith simply because of what others have done in the past is not something I'd want to see happen to anyone.

Named

It's not simply about the faith, it is about the force of the faithful, and the risk they pose. The beliefs are not the concern of the government; the rallying of people under those beliefs is.