• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Language Shapes Thought

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I agree with her.
Anthropologists confirm that language shapes the psyche in a way that goes beyond genetics.

I would have been a completely different person if German had been my first language, or if Inuit had been my first language.

RestlessSoul

According to Percy Shelley, who knew a thing or two about the use of words, language coaxes thought from out of the unconscious into the conscious world. He called language “the perpetual Orphic song”, Orpheus being the musical son of Apollo, who descended into the underworld in search of his dead lover Eurydice.

Our thoughts, like Eurydice, are phantoms, until our words (song) bring them into the light. The question then is, do those phantoms not exist, until we perceive and define them? Do they only become real, when we clothe them with words? And from which realm or dimension do they originate?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I was thinking of the Italian word bravo.
We use it very often and in so many contexts,...like when a student is good at something, or when a person is good and altruistic (as an adjective)
And of course when someone did a good job...in general ...not only in theaters.

But it is a matter of tonalities, of intonation. The Anglo-Saxons use it only to applaud someone, but the right, original, Italian, intonation is:

So I think that also the language musicality is a reflex of the language, and of a people.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If you don't have a word for it, you can't think it.
Really? Cuz I don't think in words but images

Probably because im autistic and have no native tongue. Slow to speak learnt years later than most. Now you can't get me to shut up unless I go mute. I translate my thoughts when I speak

VoidCat

As it turns out, the Words you speak into existence Create your reality around you.

How are your thoughts shaping your perception of reality?
How would a person who goes mute sometimes can't speak, and yet can speak/write sometimes in English but was a late speaker and thinks visually not by words be affected?
I get to translate my thoughts into English.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Really? Cuz I don't think in words but images

Probably because im autistic and have no native tongue. Slow to speak learnt years later than most. Now you can't get me to shut up unless I go mute. I translate my thoughts when I speak
There isn't an image for every word though.

RestlessSoul

I was thinking of the Italian word bravo.
We use it very often and in so many contexts,...like when a student is good at something, or when a person is good and altruistic (as an adjective)
And of course when someone did a good job...in general ...not only in theaters.

But it is a matter of tonalities, of intonation. The Anglo-Saxons use it only to applaud someone, but the right, original, Italian, intonation is:

So I think that also the language musicality is a reflex of the language, and of a people.

Whereas in Spain they use “Bravo” to indicate a peculiarly Spanish concept of pride and machismo.

And while “machismo” has negative connotations in English, in Spanish it denotes something more akin to honour than to toxic masculinity.

And so on. What a gloriously fluid tool is language, and how well it adapts to fluctuations in cultural nuance.

VoidCat

There isn't an image for every word though.
Also ASL(and many of the other 1000s of sign languages) are a visual languages. I don't speak any but plan to learn ASL. It's proof you don't need to speak to communicate.

But still...sign languages will shape thought.

VoidCat

But by what means can a human communicate a mental image to another human? ( Not by image transfer!:p )
Is that not what art is?
Painting thoughts onto paper?
Images are an under utilized way of communicating.

Also what you mean by image transfer?