• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Language of Angels and Glosolalia

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
Hi there

I grew up in the Pentecostal church (first Apostolic Faith Mission of South Africa and after that Pentecostal Protestant Church) and although I don't see myself as specific Christian anymore I do still take an active interest.

I label myself Omnist and as such try to read as many of the different Religious traditions Holy Scripture. In reading the Book of Mormon I am just about to finish the second book of Nephi and in the last few chapters I saw something interesting reminding me of my Pentecostal background:

- Nephi speaks about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit - does this mean that Mormons believe in the trinity as One God all equally as Athanasius confessed or do you believe in the trinity differently?
- Nephi says that those who are baptized in the Holy Spirit will speak the language of Angels - is this the same as glosolalia as one of the gifts of the Spirit (speaking in tongues) and as Pentecostals believe in it or is it different? Whether it is the same or not - does Mormons speak in tongues or in the language of Angels in your churches?

Thanks

Jane.Doe

Hi there

I grew up in the Pentecostal church (first Apostolic Faith Mission of South Africa and after that Pentecostal Protestant Church) and although I don't see myself as specific Christian anymore I do still take an active interest.

I label myself Omnist and as such try to read as many of the different Religious traditions Holy Scripture. In reading the Book of Mormon I am just about to finish the second book of Nephi and in the last few chapters I saw something interesting reminding me of my Pentecostal background
Well that's awesome!

- Nephi speaks about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit - does this mean that Mormons believe in the trinity as One God all equally as Athanasius confessed or do you believe in the trinity differently?
LDS and Athanasian Christians both believe:
- That there ONE God
- God consists of multiple persons: the Father, Son, and Spirit.
- All three of these persons are 100% divine.

The difference in the beliefs systems is:
LDS believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through unity.
Athanasian Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through co-substantiation.

- Nephi says that those who are baptized in the Holy Spirit will speak the language of Angels - is this the same as glosolalia as one of the gifts of the Spirit (speaking in tongues) and as Pentecostals believe in it or is it different? Whether it is the same or not - does Mormons speak in tongues or in the language of Angels in your churches?
The language of angels (aka the language of God) is not a babble no one understands*. Rather, it is words of Truth. These Truths may be spoken in English, French, Hindi, or whatever. They are Truths and are meant to be understood by those that hear them and speak them. Yes, we speak words of Truth at church, in English or whatever language we speak everything else.

* I mean no disrespect to Pentecostals here. I admittedly know very little about their beliefs in glossolalia and apologize if I ignorantly caused offense.