• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landlords upset ...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How about a link to a reliable source that shows how much of this promised money has actually been paid to landlords?

There has been a whole lot of talk about landlords getting some sort of compensation for the squatters, but I have as yet to talk to one who has actually received any.
I will try to remember to let you know if I get my money from the rental assistance. Gotta call them again today.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

From the link:

He spray painted the roof of one tenant's home with their names and what they owe. “Lisa and Ray owe $11,000 in rent. MAGA," the roof reads. “I’m not lying. I’m not calling anybody any names. I’m just saying so and so owes this much in rent,” Nowak Sr. explained.

Well, I guess we know where his politics are.

Nowak Sr. owns about 50 properties across Erie County.

Hard to sympathize with this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wonder...
These people who argue that rent should be free....
why don't they argue that their loans should be interest
free, that property taxes be free, & that utilities be free?
That would make it easier for landlords to provide free
housing to their delinquent tenants.
They argue that landlords already have the buildings.
Well, banks already lent the money, roads already
exist, utilities already have water, etc.
Sounds good to me. I want free stuff!!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ow! And when the moratorium is over you will be able to kick him out. I doubt if you will be able to collect anything.
My plan is to get rental assistance from Grays Harbor County since they are managing and dispersing the funds from the feds. If I do not get that money, I plan to sue that tenant in court. By state law, I can do that right now because I already offered that tenant an unpaid rent repayment plan and he has ignored me. If I take it to ciurt and get a judgment that will ruin his credit and his ability to ever get another rental, and I can and send it to collections who might eventually be able to get some of the money for me.

Mind you, this tenant has been renting my house for over eight years now and he was behind on rent long before Covid. I never threatened to evict him, I just waited for him to pay me, partly because I knew that if I evicted him I would never see the money. He has paid me at intervals but for years he has had a large outstanding debt. Then after Covid hit, he knew I could not evict him so he has been ignoring my requests for even a repayment plan. Enough is enough! His days are numbered because eventually the moratorium will end.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
From what you've been saying about your own experience, it seems the same - more trouble than it's worth. Why go through all that? It just seems like a big headache. Is it really worth it?
That's the thing in all these discussions.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. When we hear landlords complain about hard done-by they are, it's important to remember something: they choose to keep being landlords. We can tell by their actions that they think being a landlord is more desirable to them than all their available alternatives.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They've been arguing it here all along.
If someone cannot be evicted for non-payment, then rent is free.
This is how it works in the real world.

Not exactly "free," though. It's an unpaid debt, which could be put on someone's credit report. Just because the bank can't send someone out to break someone's legs if they fail to pay their credit card bill, it doesn't make it free. It just limits and restrains the amount of hardship one can impose upon another.