• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lack of evidence

Does lack of evidence mean a god doesn't exist

• yes

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • no

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • don't know

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • don't care

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What lens would that be? Would those be the sunglasses you don before entering a dark room declaring you've found the black cat?
In the same way someone can read the Tao Te Ching and make sense of it, see meaning in every word, and it could potentially turn their way of life around - while others might see it as gibberish from a BCE hippie - and yet a cat might look at it and see it as weird ink shapes on paper (not even that).

It depends on how you look at it. And the same can be applied to existence and life itself, whether you see the meaning in it depends on how you look at it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Absence of evidence doesn't mean its not possible
At a certain point it does.

What's not true about it?
There isn't a point in human history where we didn't have evidence for DNA, evolution, or dinosaurs.

Who cares!
You don't dispute that you were being insincere. Faur enough.

Nope. Because its comical denial
They're all examples of exactly what you said you wouldn't rule out:

While I don't accept or believe in something without evidence, I also will not rule it out or think its impossible.

They're an illustration of how your position - if you were to actually put it into practice - would lead to you accepting all sorts of foolish ideas.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
In the same way someone can read the Tao Te Ching and make sense of it, see meaning in every word, and it could potentially turn their way of life around - while others might see it as gibberish from a BCE hippie - and yet a cat might look at it and see it as weird ink shapes on paper (not even that).

It depends on how you look at it. And the same can be applied to existence and life itself, whether you see the meaning in it depends on how you look at it.
Your interlocutor said he'd examined the world. You said maybe use another lens. I was hoping you might have something specific.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Have you tried looking at those same things but through a different lens? Maybe you're not seeing the forest for the trees.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Edit: how do you think they determine that a species is extinct?

How do you decide what groceries you need to buy?

The Sum of Awe

Your interlocutor said he'd examined the world. You said maybe use another lens. I was hoping you might have something specific.

I'd say looking for meaningful synchronicity in the natural world that enforce optimism.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Edit: how do you think they determine that a species is extinct?

How do you decide what groceries you need to buy?

I don't understand the relevance in those two questions, but what I meant is what I said above this quote.

We Never Know

No Slack
At a certain point it does.

There isn't a point in human history where we didn't have evidence for DNA, evolution, or dinosaurs.

You don't dispute that you were being insincere. Faur enough.

They're all examples of exactly what you said you wouldn't rule out:

While I don't accept or believe in something without evidence, I also will not rule it out or think its impossible.

They're an illustration of how your position - if you were to actually put it into practice - would lead to you accepting all sorts of foolish ideas.

"There isn't a point in human history where we didn't have evidence for DNA, evolution, or dinosaurs"

List all the evidence the Romans had for DNA, evolution, and dinosaurs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't understand the relevance in those two questions, but what I meant is what I said above this quote.
And I don't see the relevance of your quote. This isn't about optimism or pessimism.

The relevance of my questions: they both deal with strong, reasonable conclusions drawn from lack of evidence:

How do they determine if a species is extinct? They look. They do observations in a systematic, thorough way, and after enough times of going out and not seeing any members of a species where it ought to be or any signs of it that it ought to have left (nests, scat, whatever), they conclude that the species just isn't there.

How do you decide what groceries to buy? You see what you're out of. You look in the fridge, think "hey - we're out of milk!" and then put "milk" on your grocery list.

When you're putting together your grocery list, I'd bet that you don't say to yourself "well, I want broccoli for tomorrow, and I checked the kitchen and didn't find any broccoli, but still... I can't perfectly rule out that there isn't broccoli in my house somewhere, so I'll stay open to the idea that I have some and not bother to buy more"... right?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"There isn't a point in human history where we didn't have evidence for DNA, evolution, or dinosaurs"

List all the evidence the Romans had for DNA, evolution, and dinosaurs.
DNA & evolution: inheritance and variation between generations.

Dinosaurs: fossilized bones that people would find occasionally.

The Sum of Awe

And I don't see the relevance of your quote. This isn't about optimism or pessimism.

The relevance of my questions: they both deal with strong, reasonable conclusions drawn from lack of evidence:

How do they determine if a species is extinct? They look. They do observations in a systematic, thorough way, and after enough times of going out and not seeing any members of a species where it ought to be or any signs of it that it ought to have left (nests, scat, whatever), they conclude that the species just isn't there.

How do you decide what groceries to buy? You see what you're out of. You look in the fridge, think "hey - we're out of milk!" and then put "milk" on your grocery list.

When you're putting together your grocery list, I'd bet that you don't say to yourself "well, I want broccoli for tomorrow, and I checked the kitchen and didn't find any broccoli, but still... I can't perfectly rule out that there isn't broccoli in my house somewhere, so I'll stay open to the idea that I have some and not bother to buy more"... right?
The issue is that God isn't a physical thing like broccoli or an extinct species. God is a spiritual thing. People often mistake spiritual as physical energy, understandable due to many misconceptions of what "spiritual energy" actually is.

You're not going to measure God like that, but you can see the results of people putting focus on their spirituality and faith in God.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The issue is that God isn't a physical thing like broccoli or an extinct species. God is a spiritual thing. People often mistake spiritual as physical energy, understandable due to many misconceptions of what "spiritual energy" actually is.

You're not going to measure God like that, but you can see the results of people putting focus on their spirituality and faith in God.

Yeah, I would use other words, but I get your point.