• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lack of Belief

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What does it mean to lack belief in a thing?

"To believe" is to have assigned truth to a piece of knowledge you posess. Its antithesis, an assigned falsehood, is "to disbelieve".

Is it possible to lack belief in anything?

Is "lack of belief" to be equated with a "lack of information"?

Is "lack of belief" to be equated with "lacking understanding"?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Sure.

Not really. Information does not always warrant good reason to believe or to disbelieve. But if you mean lack of conclusive information, then yes.

I don't think so. At first sight, understanding would seem to make belief unnneeded and redundant.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think lacking a belief is the same thing as disbelief.

Lacking means without, or not having, right?

So it's like not having a belief. "I live with lack of belief in god." = "I live without believing in god."

That's the way I see it. But I sure say some stupid things sometimes.

idea

Question Everything
If there are two things that contradict one another, you have to choose one over the other. Either you believe love is a good thing, or you don't. "I "don't believe" that hate makes people happy" or you could say "I believe that love makes people happy".. To say you do not believe in one thing, is simply to say you believe in another thing more. It's not really a lack of belief - it's just a belief in something different. IMO. No one can believe in everything.

Yerda

Veteran Member
What does it mean to lack belief in a thing?

"To believe" is to have assigned truth to a piece of knowledge you posess. Its antithesis, an assigned falsehood, is "to disbelieve".

It's certainly a convenient way of describing the condition where the criteria warranting belief are not met. Like almost everything we say it becomes complicated (tiringly so) the more you dwell on it.

Willamena said:

I would think both are common.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
This is why I say "absence of belief" - it's more accurate, and it doesn't imply that you're missing something, like the word "lack".

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If there are two things that contradict one another, you have to choose one over the other. Either you believe love is a good thing, or you don't. "I "don't believe" that hate makes people happy" or you could say "I believe that love makes people happy"..

You could say that you don't believe either love or hate make people happy - there's nothing logically inconsistent with that viewpoint.

tomspug

Absorbant
Belief AND non-belief first require understanding... which explains the large amount of "former-Christians" who didn't understand their religion in the first place.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Is there a lack of certainty when we say, I believe ...? Do we mean “the odds favour it but I am not dead sure”? When we say, "I believe in God" does it not just mean "In my opinion there is God, whatever opinion you may hold"?

PureX

Veteran Member
"Lack of belief" is the result of poor language skills. What they mean is ambivalence. We believe, we disbelieve, or we are ambivalent.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think it's clumsy and misleading. And the term ambivalent is not synonymous with disbelief.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think it's clumsy and misleading. And the term ambivalent is not synonymous with disbelief.

You can think it's clumsy and misleading all you want, it's still synonymous, so your opinion of it's usage is irrelevant.

I didn't state anywhere that ambivalent meant disbelief. In fact, I specifically stated that it meant uncertain. Talk about misleading.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheist = mind made up ... no god.

Theist = mind made up ... yes god.

Agnostic = mind not made up ... could be leaning either way, or just don't know.

It's as simple as that.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Atheist = mind made up ... no god.

Theist = mind made up ... yes god.

Agnostic = mind not made up ... could be leaning either way, or just don't know.

It's as simple as that.

Atheist = absence of belief in god(s)
Theist = belief in god(s)
Agnostic = believe we can't know either way

More simply.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Atheist = absence of belief in god(s)
Theist = belief in god(s)
Agnostic = believe we can't know either way
If I were to ask the atheist "What is 'God'?" would he have an answer?
If I were to ask the theist "What is 'God'?" would he have an answer?
If I were to ask the agnostic "What is 'God'?" would he have an answer?