• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Krishna

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I do.
I believe much of his life is covered in mythology, deified, and symbolism, but I believe he probably existed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a question, do most people believe that Krishna existed?

I assume you mean most Hindus, not most people? I don't. But I think in a poll of all Hindus, my guess it would be between 80 to 90%, and I respect their right to believe. I think there may have been some personage with some divinity, but in the way its described in the Mahabharata or Gita, I don't think so. I think He's a beutiful representation of divinity.

From my sect of Hinduism, we don't believe in avatars at all. Saints, yes.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I do.
I believe much of his life is covered in mythology, deified, and symbolism, but I believe he probably existed.

^ What he said. :yes:

I do believe he was a historical figure. The Kurukshetra War may have been historical, and Krishna was a central figure in the war, though the dates are way off wrt Hindu beliefs. However, I think archaeologists are finding that historical dates are way too short.

Yes, I believe Krishna existed, and that He also represents the Personage of God on Earth. He is considered by some Vaishnavas as the original form of God Himself (avatari), and other Vaishnavas, as the most complete incarnation of God (purnavatara).

He is the Absolute Beauty, the Beautiful Absolute.

His play is the play of the entire universe, and the flute of God vibrates the very music of existence to dance to His tune of beauty. :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
I believe he existed.

As Odion, I think his life probably has one or two exaggerations, but I wouldn´t say "definetely" neither, though I do think it has.

I also believe he is an avatar of Vishnu

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
He probably did exist at some point, and his life story as passed down to us is probably a mix of history and legend/mythology. The Buddha claimed that Rama was one of his former incarnations, so I see no reason to deny that Krishna existed. Of course, I also believe Jesus of Nazareth existed in some fashion, just probably not as the Bible tells it. But I think the myths of Jesus are based around an actual person, and I feel the same about Krishna.

Me Myself

Back to my username
He probably did exist at some point, and his life story as passed down to us is probably a mix of history and legend/mythology. The Buddha claimed that Rama was one of his former incarnations, so I see no reason to deny that Krishna existed. Of course, I also believe Jesus of Nazareth existed in some fashion, just probably not as the Bible tells it. But I think the myths of Jesus are based around an actual person, and I feel the same about Krishna.

From where does buddha says this. May you elaborate? :D