• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koran v. Bible

1robin

Christian/Baptist
In your view, no.

But we have no trouble whatever reconciling the "distinctions" that you stress and seeing a unified whole.

Peace, :)

Bruce
The bible determines what is compatable with it. Baha i is not in many ways. An assertion to the contary doesn't change what the bible insists on.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Claiming that non "born again" Christians are superficial has no more effect on whether it this statement is true or not any more than the claim that Satanism is compatable with Christianity.

The "born again" movement has its roots in Montanism which was declared heretical by the early Church.

To make the "absolute" claim that all Christians who are not "born again" are superficial, without providing any evidence is a bit of a slap in the face to Christianity considering that most Christians are not "born again" from a Pentacostal perspective.
I am seeing exactly what I concluded concerning you from your first post becomeing more clear as time goes by. This is one of the most universally understood concepts in Christianity. If you are born again you have the spirit by which to understand spiritual things without it you cannot understand the things of the spirit. God is Spirit.
New International Version (©1984)
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned
1 Corinthians 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
That is what seperates the superficial "Christian" who has only an intellectual agreement with a concept from the actual Christian who has a sipritual relationship with a risen Christ, it is one of the most profound and illuminating concepts in the bible and it accounts for so much in these threads. I have already said I do not wish at least at this time to debate you, I would appreciate you respecting that for now. Thanks

Oryonder

I am seeing exactly what I concluded concerning you from your first post becomeing more clear as time goes by. This is one of the most universally understood concepts in Christianity. If you are born again you have the spirit by which to understand spiritual things without it you cannot understand the things of the spirit. God is Spirit.
New International Version (©1984)
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned
1 Corinthians 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
That is what seperates the superficial "Christian" who has only an intellectual agreement with a concept from the actual Christian who has a sipritual relationship with a risen Christ, it is one of the most profound and illuminating concepts in the bible and it accounts for so much in these threads. I have already said I do not wish at least at this time to debate you, I would appreciate you respecting that for now. Thanks

Closing eyes, ears, mouth, and anything else that might let the bad news in is one way to live ones life.

It is a free Country after all !

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Closing eyes, ears, mouth, and anything else that might let the bad news in is one way to live ones life.

It is a free Country after all !
I do not know why I expect it should but how does this relate to the scriptures I posted? The verses I selected showing how a spiritual born again Christian can understand a wider range of truth than the superficial Christian. That is an expansion not a contraction of information. You are the one who has attempted to chop out any part of the bible you do not like and so your position is a contraction of information not mine. Yes it is a free country for now even though a little bit more freedom is confiscated by our governement each day. So rock on.

BruceDLimber

Baha i claims that two incompatable faiths are both true. Islam and Christianity especially certain core claims.

For the record, the correct spelling is "Baha'i." The aspostrophe is important because it's the transliteration of a (silent) letter that alters the pronunciation of the word.

The problem is that you haven't examined WHY we see the two religions as compatible! Merely stating that the two religions make differing statements isn't adequate.

Also, please note that your dismissive accusation that in the Baha'i Faith "anything goes" couldn't be more wrong, as you'd quickly discover if you actually bothered to learn about our beliefs and practices from any unbiased source!

Peace,

Bruce

1robin

Christian/Baptist
For the record, the correct spelling is "Baha'i." The aspostrophe is important because it's the transliteration of a (silent) letter that alters the pronunciation of the word.
Since I have demonstrated my incapacity to spell anything correctly consistently why is this unexpected. Just kidding, I will try. I would hate for the earth to stop spinning because of an apostrophe.

The problem is that you haven't examined WHY we see the two religions as compatible! Merely stating that the two religions make differing statements isn't adequate.
By biblical standards anyone who denies Christ is HE (the unique son of God that was crucified, died, and resurrected) is an anti Christ and not from God. Since Muhammad did this and is responsible for the whole Quran then there is no (why) that can rectify this and make them compatable. This doesn't prove the bible correct and the Quran wrong but it does prove that they are not compatable.

Also, please note that your dismissive accusation that in the Baha'i Faith "anything goes" couldn't be more wrong, as you'd quickly discover if you actually bothered to learn about our beliefs and practices from any unbiased source!
I have seen nothing at all that would justify spending my limited time researching this particular faith out of the hundreds that people assert. There is nothing I need beyond the bible it stretches from before the begining to the end and even beyond, I have no need of a footnote religion that has demonstrated no reason to take it seriously. By anything goes I meant a tendency to be pluralistic and inclusive. If you will create a Baha'i thread and actually state some suffecient reasons why I should bother with this particular faith I promise to read them and respond.

Selah,

InvestigateTruth

By biblical standards anyone who denies Christ is HE (the unique son of God that was crucified, died, and resurrected) is an anti Christ and not from God. Since Muhammad did this and is responsible for the whole Quran then there is no (why) that can rectify this and make them compatable. This doesn't prove the bible correct and the Quran wrong but it does prove that they are not compatable.
Quranic verse regarding Jesus cruicification, should be interpreted spiritually, not literally. You are unable to prove that What Quran talks about, is the Spirit and Reality of Christ, who was not cruicified.
There are other verses of Quran which says, Jesus died.
and there are other sect of Islam, which believes Jesus was cruicified and died on cross.
and if you say, the majority of Moslem interprete Quran literally, as you agree, the number of people doen't prove anything.
Moreover, Baha'i Scriptures, which are irrifutable, proves what Quran says, is spiritual.

I have seen nothing at all that would justify spending my limited time researching this particular faith out of the hundreds that people assert. There is nothing I need beyond the bible it stretches from before the begining to the end and even beyond, I have no need of a footnote religion that has demonstrated no reason to take it seriously. By anything goes I meant a tendency to be pluralistic and inclusive. If you will create a Baha'i thread and actually state some suffecient reasons why I should bother with this particular faith I promise to read them and respond.

That's because, you didn't spend enough time to see the truth.

Oryonder

I do not know why I expect it should but how does this relate to the scriptures I posted? The verses I selected showing how a spiritual born again Christian can understand a wider range of truth than the superficial Christian. That is an expansion not a contraction of information.

This is self delusion. If all one can come up with is "you just do not understand because you are not born again" this persons foundation is weak indeed.

It is a foundation based on logical fallacy.

You are the one who has attempted to chop out any part of the bible you do not like and so your position is a contraction of information not mine. Yes it is a free country for now even though a little bit more freedom is confiscated by our governement each day. So rock on

Do you really believe your own posts ? That is a complete crock.

It is you that ignores anything that conflicts with your beliefs. Time and time again.

For example: The reason I do not accept Paul is not because I have "chopped it out". I readily admit what Paul has to say.

My claim from the beginning was that Paul's "salvation by faith alone" doctrine is contradicted by both the words of James and Jesus in Matt.

It is you that claims there is no contradiction when clearly there is.

You claim that I am not orthadox .. and then you claim that only a specific group of Christians are real Christians when orthadox Christianity does not belong to this group.

When your arguments are refuted you either change the topic or ignore the post.

Now you engaging in tranferrence .. trying to lable me with your faults. This is very disingenuous.

Last edited:

F0uad

Invesitagetruth i want to ask you what is more trustworthy the companions of the prophet(saws) and the prophet(saws) himself commenting on the verses or the so called new sects? Lets not even quote commentators, let the Quran speak for itself.

Lets read the verses...

4:156-159 "That they rejected Faith; That they uttered against Mary A grave false charge; That they said (in boast): 'We killed Christ Jesus The son of Mary, The Messenger of Allah.' But they killed him not, Nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not. Nay, Allah raised him up Unto Himself; and Allah Is Exalted in Power, Wise. And there is none of the people of the book (Jews and Christians) But must believe in him (Jesus) Before his death; And on the Day of Judgment He (Jesus) will be a witness Against them."

But they killed him not, Nor crucified him.
I am pretty sure it says not killed nor crucified so both didn't happen.

Back to the verse the false charge against Mary(p) was that she was unchaste. Such a charge is bad enough to make against any woman, but to make it against Mary(p), the mother of Jesus(p), was to bring into ridicule Allah's(swt) power itself. Islam is specially strong in guarding the reputation of women. Slanderers of women are bound to bring four witnesses in support of their accusation, and if they fail to produce four witnesses, they are be flogged with eighty stripes and debarred forever from being competent witnesses. Let us look at verse 24:4 "And those who launch A charge against chaste women, And produce not four witnesses (To support their allegations) Flog them with eighty stripes; And reject their evidence Ever after: for such men Are wicked transgressors. Unless they repent thereafter And mend (their conduct); For Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."

Back to the verses the Basilidans believed that someone else was substituted for him. The Docetate held that Christ never had a real physical or natural body, but only an apparent or phantom body, and that his crucifixion was only apparent, not real. The Marcionite Gospel (about A.C. 138) denied that Jesus was born, and merely said that he appeared in human form. The Gospel of St. Barnabas supported the theory of substitution on the Cross.

Let us look at verse 3:55 "Behold! Allah said: O Jesus! I will take thee And raise thee to Myself And clear thee (of the falsehoods) Of those who blaspheme; I will make those Who follow thee superior To those who reject faith, To the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, And I will judge Between you of the matters wherein ye dispute." Here we see that Allah(swt) promised Jesus(p) to raise him to heaven. Jesus(p) was charged by the Jews with blasphemy as claiming to be God or the son of God. The Christians (except a few early sects which were annihilated by persecution, and the modern sect of Unitarians), adopted the substance of the claim, and made it the cornerstone of their faith.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Quranic verse regarding Jesus cruicification, should be interpreted spiritually, not literally. You are unable to prove that What Quran talks about, is the Spirit and Reality of Christ, who was not cruicified.
There are other verses of Quran which says, Jesus died.
and there are other sect of Islam, which believes Jesus was cruicified and died on cross. and if you say, the majority of Moslem interprete Quran literally, as you agree, the number of people doen't prove anything.
This is incorrect, I have read the commentary in the English Quran on these verses and the site below is a muslim site and contains an explenation. It is virtually a universal belief that this is a literal belief. Crucifixion it's self has no seperate spiritual meaning. The verse below even gives an explenation of how he physically got out of it.
...They said, “We killed the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of God.” They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but the likeness of him was put on another man (and they killed that man)... (Quran, 4:157)
Jesus, a Muslim, Was Neither Killed, nor Crucified

I BELIEVE F0uad GAVE A MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THESE VERSES AND IT APPEARS HE WOULD AGREE WITH MY CLAIM THAT THE BIBLICAL AND QURANIC VERSES ON THIS ISSUE ARE CONTRADICTORY WITH EACH OTHER. I HAVE FOUND HIM TO BE A SINCERE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE MUSLIM.

Even if you propose a spiritual meaning for these verses it doesn't help you. The bible clearly states Jesus suffered both a physical first death and a spiritual second death (seperation from God or hell). So either way Jesus escaping either a physical or spiritual death is still contradictory to the bible. For this discussion it doesn't matter who is right just that they claim the opposite things. Beyond this the Quran contradicts the bible assertion that Jesus is God and so is not compatable with the bible in this issue either. If these were minor Christian doctrines it might still allow room for a common author, as it is the Quran contradicts the most profound af all issues in the bible and so they are not from the same author. Add to that a thousand secondary contradictions and there is no room for doubt.

Moreover, Baha'i Scriptures, which are irrifutable, proves what Quran says, is spiritual.
You make a claim to knowledge that Baha 'i scripture is irrefuteable so you have the burden of proof. So let's hear it. Since even with a spiritual meaning it is still contradictory then that doesn't help you.

That's because, you didn't spend enough time to see the truth.
I have repeatedly ask for your best proof. I have yet to recieve a single one. A prophecy made about an event that took place two years before it was made and may or may not mention an event in the near future that could have been predicted by any person living at the time because there was plenty of evidence that existed to suggest it falls far short of proof. I have not quit listening to you, so your statement makes no sence.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This is self delusion. If all one can come up with is "you just do not understand because you are not born again" this persons foundation is weak indeed.
That was a verse from the bible. God said it not me and I will go with him over you.

It is a foundation based on logical fallacy.
And this is a mere assertion besed on nothing at all.

Do you really believe your own posts ? That is a complete crock.

It is you that ignores anything that conflicts with your beliefs. Time and time again.
I have been the one that said he found hormony throughout all scripture. It is you who have had problems with 60% of the new testament and have tried to dismiss it.

For example: The reason I do not accept Paul is not because I have "chopped it out". I readily admit what Paul has to say.
You admit he said it but refuse to accept it.

My claim from the beginning was that Paul's "salvation by faith alone" doctrine is contradicted by both the words of James and Jesus in Matt.
It only contradicts your interpretation and leaves you with an irreconcileable whole. My and most major commentators interpretation reveals a harmony without contradiction.

It is you that claims there is no contradiction when clearly there is.
See above.

You claim that I am not orthadox .. and then you claim that only a specific group of Christians are real Christians when orthadox Christianity does not belong to this group.
Orthedox Christianity includes all Christians who have been born again and are now part of the body of Christ. It does not include people who sit in Church, perform ceremonial actions, and think they can earn their way to heaven. I will admit that how many of each there are would be impossible to determine.

When your arguments are refuted you either change the topic or ignore the post.
How would you know youhave not refuted any yet?

Now you engaging in tranferrence .. trying to lable me with your faults. This is very disingenuous.
There is something very unsettling about a person who claims to be a Christian but consistently attacks orthedox Christianity and has defended every other faith in the posts I have seen. As Muhammad Ali said, Nothing is wrong but something ain't right. I restate my desire at this time to cease debating you, as a courtesy I will read any response you post but do not intend a response. At the very least I think our discussion is damaging to God's purpose and gives all those who point out divisions within Christianity as a reason not to believe further reason to do so. If you wish I would consider a one one private debate but make no promises.

InvestigateTruth

Invesitagetruth i want to ask you what is more trustworthy the companions of the prophet(saws) and the prophet(saws) himself commenting on the verses or the so called new sects? Lets not even quote commentators, let the Quran speak for itself.

Lets read the verses...

4:156-159 "That they rejected Faith; That they uttered against Mary A grave false charge; That they said (in boast): 'We killed Christ Jesus The son of Mary, The Messenger of Allah.' But they killed him not, Nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not. Nay, Allah raised him up Unto Himself; and Allah Is Exalted in Power, Wise. And there is none of the people of the book (Jews and Christians) But must believe in him (Jesus) Before his death; And on the Day of Judgment He (Jesus) will be a witness Against them."

But they killed him not, Nor crucified him.
I am pretty sure it says not killed nor crucified so both didn't happen.

Back to the verse the false charge against Mary(p) was that she was unchaste. Such a charge is bad enough to make against any woman, but to make it against Mary(p), the mother of Jesus(p), was to bring into ridicule Allah's(swt) power itself. Islam is specially strong in guarding the reputation of women. Slanderers of women are bound to bring four witnesses in support of their accusation, and if they fail to produce four witnesses, they are be flogged with eighty stripes and debarred forever from being competent witnesses. Let us look at verse 24:4 "And those who launch A charge against chaste women, And produce not four witnesses (To support their allegations) Flog them with eighty stripes; And reject their evidence Ever after: for such men Are wicked transgressors. Unless they repent thereafter And mend (their conduct); For Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."

Back to the verses the Basilidans believed that someone else was substituted for him. The Docetate held that Christ never had a real physical or natural body, but only an apparent or phantom body, and that his crucifixion was only apparent, not real. The Marcionite Gospel (about A.C. 138) denied that Jesus was born, and merely said that he appeared in human form. The Gospel of St. Barnabas supported the theory of substitution on the Cross.

Let us look at verse 3:55 "Behold! Allah said: O Jesus! I will take thee And raise thee to Myself And clear thee (of the falsehoods) Of those who blaspheme; I will make those Who follow thee superior To those who reject faith, To the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, And I will judge Between you of the matters wherein ye dispute." Here we see that Allah(swt) promised Jesus(p) to raise him to heaven. Jesus(p) was charged by the Jews with blasphemy as claiming to be God or the son of God. The Christians (except a few early sects which were annihilated by persecution, and the modern sect of Unitarians), adopted the substance of the claim, and made it the cornerstone of their faith.

The Problem is that you are reading too literal.
Quran says, if Quran comes on a Mountain, the mountain turns into pieces from the fear. Now, do you interprete that actually the Mountain turns into pieces or would actually fear? Clearly not.
Likewise, you cannot, claim that, when the Book says, He was not cricified, this is necessarily a physical and literal verse. If you read the Arabic verse, it actually doesn't say, He was replaced by someone similar. This is the adition of the commentary of the translator.
It means that even though, jews Cruicified and Killed Jesus, but in reality, they did not kill and Cruicify His reality. Because, His religion made progress.

The companions of Muhammad did not say you should interprete Quran always lterally.

Even the Quran says, none knows it's interpretation untill the Day of Resurrection, which God would reveal it's interpretation. Now that the Promise of God is fulfilled, and it's interpretation did come, let's thank God, and make a use of His guidance.

Moreover, for example, one of the famous scholars who was in close relation with companions of Muhammad was Abu Hanifa. He also said the Hadith regarding Persians:

We read this verse in the Qur’an: “Lo! Ye are they, who are called to expend for
the Cause of God: and some of you are niggards (stingy) but whoso is niggardly shall be
niggard only to his own loss, for God is the rich and ye are the poor: and if ye turn back,
he will change you for another people, and they shall not be your like!”
(Muhammad – 47:40)
Muhammad was asked who were the people He referred to as “another people”,
who were to replace the Arabs? One of His famous followers, Salman Farsi, a Persian,
was sitting near Him. Muhammad patted the legs of Salman and said: “He and his
people” and He continued: “By the True One, in Whose hands is My life, if the Faith of
God should be suspended in the Pleiades, surely men from Persia shall reach it.” (This
tradition is accepted by Sunnis and Shiites and is included by Nasafi in his book, Vol 4,
page 169, as well as by Muhammad Farid Vajdi, in his book, third edition, page 676)

http://www.sunnah.org/publication/khulafa_rashideen/life_of_imam_abu_hanifah.htm

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Even if you propose a spiritual meaning for these verses it doesn't help you. The bible clearly states Jesus suffered both a physical first death and a spiritual second death (seperation from God or hell). So either way Jesus escaping either a physical or spiritual death is still contradictory to the bible. For this discussion it doesn't matter who is right just that they claim the opposite things. Beyond this the Quran contradicts the bible assertion that Jesus is God and so is not compatable with the bible in this issue either. If these were minor Christian doctrines it might still allow room for a common author, as it is the Quran contradicts the most profound af all issues in the bible and so they are not from the same author. Add to that a thousand secondary contradictions and there is no room for doubt.

You make a claim to knowledge that Baha 'i scripture is irrefuteable so you have the burden of proof. So let's hear it. Since even with a spiritual meaning it is still contradictory then that doesn't help you.

I have repeatedly ask for your best proof. I have yet to recieve a single one. A prophecy made about an event that took place two years before it was made and may or may not mention an event in the near future that could have been predicted by any person living at the time because there was plenty of evidence that existed to suggest it falls far short of proof. I have not quit listening to you, so your statement makes no sence.
Well, it seems to me, when you are shown the Sun, and told you that is the Sun. You close your eye, and say: "I don't see it, prove it to me it is the sun" Well sorry, I cannot show you, if you want to keep your eyes closed :D

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well, it seems to me, when you are shown the Sun, and told you that is the Sun. You close your eye, and say: "I don't see it, prove it to me it is the sun" Well sorry, I cannot show you, if you want to keep your eyes closed :D
Nice punt. I could just as easily and far more justifiably suggest you are declareing there is a sun outside the darkened interior of a windowless room but will not let me see it or provide evidence for it. You literally have not produced one claim that has devine inspiration as it's most likely (or only reasonable) source. What you produced as a bunch of statements of oriental philosophy, statements concerning events that are recorded in countless other earlier books, unjustified assertions, and theological claims that are impossible to reconcile with facts. So once again I guess punting is the only optioned left for you. If you need help I will and have actually told you what kind of information can be used for the purpose of substantiating a devine author.

Oryonder

That was a verse from the bible. God said it not me and I will go with him over you.

I have been the one that said he found hormony throughout all scripture. It is you who have had problems with 60% of the new testament and have tried to dismiss it.

You admit he said it but refuse to accept it.

It only contradicts your interpretation and leaves you with an irreconcileable whole. My and most major commentators interpretation reveals a harmony without contradiction.

See above.

Orthedox Christianity includes all Christians who have been born again and are now part of the body of Christ. It does not include people who sit in Church, perform ceremonial actions, and think they can earn their way to heaven. I will admit that how many of each there are would be impossible to determine.

How would you know youhave not refuted any yet?

There is something very unsettling about a person who claims to be a Christian but consistently attacks orthedox Christianity and has defended every other faith in the posts I have seen. As Muhammad Ali said, Nothing is wrong but something ain't right. I restate my desire at this time to cease debating you, as a courtesy I will read any response you post but do not intend a response. At the very least I think our discussion is damaging to God's purpose and gives all those who point out divisions within Christianity as a reason not to believe further reason to do so. If you wish I would consider a one one private debate but make no promises.

Your are living in denial .. and please .. spare me your responses unless you can manage to stay and give up on the ad hom and logical fallacy.

Like you have any clue what God's purpose is.

The worst sort of Christian is one who claims to know the mind of God and claims to speak for God.

You have no clue what is on Gods mind and you certainly do not speak for God.

F0uad

The Problem is that you are reading too literal.
I guess the prophet(saws) and the companions were too literal also?

Quran says, if Quran comes on a Mountain, the mountain turns into pieces from the fear. Now, do you interprete that actually the Mountain turns into pieces or would actually fear? Clearly not.
No it doesn't.

Likewise, you cannot, claim that, when the Book says, He was not cricified, this is necessarily a physical and literal verse. If you read the Arabic verse, it actually doesn't say, He was replaced by someone similar. This is the adition of the commentary of the translator.
It means that even though, jews Cruicified and Killed Jesus, but in reality, they did not kill and Cruicify His reality. Because, His religion made progress.
I didn't say he was replaced it was Robin who said that. The verses says he was not killed and crucified why mention two things? Simply because crucifixion doesn't always mean death it simply means hanging someone on a cross or tree. If a verse clearly says he is not crucified how dishonest can you be by saying he is? :shrug: Even a spiritual interpretation would be contradictory to the verse.

The companions of Muhammad did not say you should interprete Quran always lterally.

Even the Quran says, none knows it's interpretation untill the Day of Resurrection, which God would reveal it's interpretation. Now that the Promise of God is fulfilled, and it's interpretation did come, let's thank God, and make a use of His guidance.
Even if we would say that the verse was spiritually it would still contradict if we would say he was crucified so you got a real problem here.
Moreover, for example, one of the famous scholars who was in close relation with companions of Muhammad was Abu Hanifa. He also said the Hadith regarding Persians:

We read this verse in the Qur’an: “Lo! Ye are they, who are called to expend for
the Cause of God: and some of you are niggards (stingy) but whoso is niggardly shall be
niggard only to his own loss, for God is the rich and ye are the poor: and if ye turn back,
he will change you for another people, and they shall not be your like!”
(Muhammad – 47:40)
Muhammad was asked who were the people He referred to as “another people”,
who were to replace the Arabs? One of His famous followers, Salman Farsi, a Persian,
was sitting near Him. Muhammad patted the legs of Salman and said: “He and his
people” and He continued: “By the True One, in Whose hands is My life, if the Faith of
God should be suspended in the Pleiades, surely men from Persia shall reach it.” (This
tradition is accepted by Sunnis and Shiites and is included by Nasafi in his book, Vol 4,
page 169, as well as by Muhammad Farid Vajdi, in his book, third edition, page 676)

http://www.sunnah.org/publication/khulafa_rashideen/life_of_imam_abu_hanifah.htm
:help: What has this anything to do with a crucifixion?

InvestigateTruth

I guess the prophet(saws) and the companions were too literal also?
No, there are both Quranic verses and Hadithes that, not all Quran verses are literal. There are verses with Hidden meanings and Figurative meaning.
I don't know why you ignore this verse:

"He it is who hath sent down to thee "the Book." Some of its signs are of themselves perspicuous; these are the basis of the Book and others are figurative. But they whose hearts are given to err, follow its figures, craving discord, craving an interpretation; yet none knoweth its interpretation but God And the stable in knowledge say "We believe in it; all is from our Lord" But none will bear this in mind, save men endued with understanding." 3:7

"And now have we brought them the Book: with knowledge have we explained it; a guidance and a mercy to them that believe. What have they to wait for now but its interpretation? When its interpretation shall come, they who aforetime were oblivious of it shall say, "The Prophets of our Lord did indeed bring the truth; shall we have any intercessor to intercede for us? or could we not be sent back? Then would we act otherwise than we have acted" But they have ruined themselves; and the deities of their own devising have fled from them!" 7:53

First you need to accept the above vesres, then think about the verses. How can you tell which verses are Figurative? Which verses are in Quran that none knows it's interpretations? Why should God send a Book which some of it's verses interpretation is unknown till the Day of Resurrection?
Once you could answre these, then I can continue discussing with you.

Even if we would say that the verse was spiritually it would still contradict if we would say he was crucified so you got a real problem here.

How would it contradict if interpreted spiritually?
In the sight of God, real life, is the life the soul, not the physical body, this is why God said, they did not cruicify and killed (His soul).
But for people who think that the real life, is this worldly physical life, they thought, God is talking about His physical Body.

:help: What has this anything to do with a crucifixion?

It doesn't have anything with crucification directly. But, last time, you said you don't believe this Hadith is accepted by Sunnis...which there are are several sources from both Sunni and Shia.

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

I have seen nothing at all that would justify spending my limited time researching this particular faith.

Fine. Your loss.

And you're ignoring the fact that Muhammad asserted Jesus was indeed from God; Jesus' being God Himself is a later, man-made doctrine not found in original Christianity.

Not to mention you're ignoring the fact that the Baha'i scriptures state clearly the Qur'anic verse isn't literal and affirm Jesus' crucifixion.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Fine. Your loss.
And you're ignoring the fact that Muhammad asserted Jesus was indeed from God; Jesus' being God Himself is a later, man-made doctrine not found in original Christianity.
Wrong even during Jesus' time peter said he was the unique son of God. The majority of early Church fathers considered him divine. There was a council to settle the matter decreed by Constantine in 325. He invited 1800 bishops, there were a grand total of two, I believe that voted that he was not divine. Whether he was or not is not the real issue however. The most important concept in Christianity is his death and resurrection and its sufficient provision for salvation. Like the apostles said if he be not raised then we are the most to be pitied and we believe in vain. Without faith in Christ being the conduit to heaven Christianity is useless. Islam believes Christ was a prophet they do not believe we are saved by faith in his death and resurrection. If this was a disagreement about how many years David reined, then no big deal. Since this is the chief cornerstone of Christianity then to claim anything other is to be incompatible with it. I could name endless lists where the Quran and Bible contradict but this one is sufficient.
Not to mention you're ignoring the fact that the Baha'i scriptures state clearly the Qur'anic verse isn't literal and affirm Jesus' crucifixion.
First of all why in the world would I allow Baha'i to contradict writings found in a much older and much more substantial faith. I conclude the Quran is wrong because the bible's record of these events is much closer to the time in which it happened, some of the accounts were eye witnesses, and there are multiple attestations. The bible has sufficient justification to declare the Quran wrong on this issue, Baha'i does not. You seem to invent a new insufficient reason to claim Baha'i should be believed as fast as the old insufficient one is disproven. It appears to be kind of a schizophrenic philosophy. If there were any actual evidence to suggest Baha'i has a divine author the fact that you have not provided a single example when repeatedly asked suggests either the absence of evidence or your knowledge of it. I will even give you an example of what I am referring to. The bible has 2000 plus detailed prophecies, 100% of the ones that should have been were fulfilled to the letter hundreds or more years after they were made, contains a consistent narrative over 1000 plus years 66 books and 40 authors, has accurate scientific knowledge that wasn't known at the time, and sufficient explanatory power and scope etc..... Give me a list of examples that match these credentials and we can discuss them. If you cannot then how could you expect me to seriously consider Baha'i anything other than just another false religion? Once I again I do appreciate your respectful and friendly style but I have seen nothing that gives Baha'i any validity, and I have however seen many claims that suggest that it is completely man made and seriously flawed.

Oryonder

Wrong even during Jesus' time peter said he was the unique son of God. The majority of early Church fathers considered him divine. There was a council to settle the matter decreed by Constantine in 325. He invited 1800 bishops, there were a grand total of two, I believe that voted that he was not divine. Whether he was or not is not the real issue however. The most important concept in Christianity is his death and resurrection and its sufficient provision for salvation. Like the apostles said if he be not raised then we are the most to be pitied and we believe in vain. Without faith in Christ being the conduit to heaven Christianity is useless. Islam believes Christ was a prophet they do not believe we are saved by faith in his death and resurrection. If this was a disagreement about how many years David reined, then no big deal. Since this is the chief cornerstone of Christianity then to claim anything other is to be incompatible with it. I could name endless lists where the Quran and Bible contradict but this one is sufficient.

1800 Bishops did not show up at Nicea. Estimates by this guy at "Jesus .org" are that around 216-316 showed up. Did the Council of Nicea Vote Christ as God? - Who Is Jesus?

What they were voting on was that Jesus was "God - The Father" not just that he was divine.

According to this fellow there were originally 17 that opposed it but this was reduced to 2 when Constantine threatened exile if they opposed.

Eusebius was one who held fast and indeed he was exiled.

The problem here is that the council that did show up knew what Constantine's feelings were and it was advisable to go against Constantine.

After all .. he did kill his own wife and son.

The council was originally supposed to be held somewhere else but Constantine moved it to Nicea so that he could preside over it (a likely reason why the vast majority did not show up)

The fact of the matter is that while the early church fathers did believe that Jesus was divine .. they did not believe he was "The Father".

The early Church fathers believed that Jesus was subordinate to God - The Father.